I/O Error Invalid Address For Write

shen293

Why is it when I put it in "test mode"

I get successful outcome

and this is the log:

I 22:45:53 ImgBurn Version 2.4.2.0 started!

I 22:45:53 Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 3)

I 22:45:53 Total Physical Memory: 981,480 KB - Available: 622,616 KB

W 22:45:53 Drive D:\ (FAT32) does not support single files > 4 GB in size.

I 22:45:53 Initialising SPTI...

I 22:45:53 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 22:45:53 Found 1 DVD-ROM and 1 DVD

I 23:09:45 Destination Device: [2:0:0] HP DVD Writer 740b HJ24 (E:) (ATA)

I 23:09:45 Destination Media Type: DVD-R (Disc ID: MCC 03RG20) (Speeds: 4x)

According to the info about your burner - it's a 16x writer. Despite this - the firmware only supports your media at 4x speed and the question is how well it is adopted for that media and according to your logs - it's not.

Test mode test the included 'moves' of the laser head and that seems to work well. The issue happens when the laser light is turned on and it can't write very good to your media.

It should be cheaper to get a new writer than spending a fortune on coasters. I do not know the prices in your country - but here a new good writer costs around what I have to pay for 35 Verbatims discs (including media tax :angry: ).

:)

Sorry,Cynthia but so that we are just on the right page

Are you recommending me to get a new writer? (internal?)

And 1 extra question.... I have a HP writer on a HP desktop, can I buy a different brand of writer other than HP and install it into my HP desktop?

thank you

Oh and also...what does the error Invalid Address For Write really mean?

Like was it more of a DVD burner failure or something...

Just figuring things out..cause I'm planning to get an internal burner but don't know how to remove my current burner

So yea..help me out n thanks

Edited by shen293

'Invalid Address For Write' is pretty self-explanatory: the burner "says" that when the address you're trying to write isn't available for some reason (e.g. it was already written to, it's beyond the disc's capacity, etc). What is weird is that the 'Invalid Address For Write' error is usually collateral to another error, like 'Write Error' and similar.

Replacing the drive is easy: read this how-to for the general guidelines. I'd like to add that you should use a 80-wire cable (buy one if the one you're using isn't 80-wire). If you're going to buy the new burner in a computer shop I'm pretty sure they can replace the old one for free :thumbup:

I see...but I believe that if I get a new burner...

It doesn't really tell me which media its gonna support..

Or at least I think as this is gonna be my first time purchasin a burner

As u said b4 tho...can that error be possibly bcos my burners dead...I was trying to find that out but wasting alot on coasters

And I hate it

I Pioneer should solve your problems. I have one with the same type of disc (MCC 03RG20) that you got errors with.

Here is also a list of the media id's that Pioneer supports with the recent writers.

http://wwwbsc.pioneer.co.jp/product-e/ibs/.../DVR116_109.pdf

I 08:40:14 ImgBurn Version 2.4.2.0 started!

I 08:40:14 Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate Edition (6.0, Build 6001 : Service Pack 1)

I 08:40:14 Total Physical Memory: 2 095 484 KB - Available: 1 026 016 KB

I 08:40:14 Initialising SPTI...

I 08:40:14 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 08:40:17 Found 2 DVD

post-20-1234752904_thumb.png

post-20-1234752914_thumb.png

External interfaces (USB/FireWire/etc) are slower and less reliable than internal interfaces (IDE/SATA/etc). Not to mention that an external burner is more prone to bumps/dropping/etc.

May I ask why are you so reluctant in buying a new internal burner to replace the broken one you have? A new burner is as cheap as a spindle of DVDs these days.

It's not that I'm reluctant or anything...

Its that I'm not sure which drivers my desktop is compatible with and the fact that I dont even know how to remove my broken burner...I tried taking it out but it seems stuck >_<

I read through some articles about the drives .. and I realize something about IDE and SATA

and since under my device manager i have like 2 primary and 2 secondary IDE channels..

so am I right to think that the burners I should get should be in IDE? or it doesn't even matter?

ok cool, thanks :thumbup: appreciate it alot

I've heard around that ppl say Pioneer's burners are reliable..

so I was wondering what do you guys think of this:

Pioneer Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 40X CD-R 32X CD-RW 40X CD-ROM 2MB Cache IDE 20X DVD

With a SATA you only need to connect two cables. With a PATA as your ordered it's just that + you also have to set a switch in the back of the burner to either Master, Slave or Cable Select.

Put the new burner as Master and connect it to the end of the cable and your old reader/writer to slave and put it in the middle of the cable.

It's easy and there are plenty of guides with pictures on the net if you should need it.

:)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.