Add Support for .CISO file?

Neillithan

I thought/think that too volvo.

How else would they know about this obscure file format that's developed by a company nobody has ever heard of before.... it's all too 'convenient' if you ask me. If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, there's a good chance it's a duck!

In any case, there's not a bone in my body that wants to implement support for the format so let's just leave it at that.

What do you think .cso stands for? Compressed iSO. Even in this day and age we can't get away from the three letter file extension.

My knowledge of such formats (Zip, Rar, 7z) are only recent.

It must be nice to make a statement about computer history while remaining blissfully ignorant about it. Well done.

Still, I feel compelled to defend against elitists who think they know EVERYTHING when I never intended for this thread to be received the way it was.

There's no elitists here. Some of us actually know what we're talking about. User support in a support forum. That's something you'll have to deal with in your own special way.

If I could e-mail the author directly with a simple introduction of CISO, I could have avoided all of this confrontation.

Doubtful. I perceive two possible outcomes from this course of action.

1. Your email would have been ignored.

2. Your email would have been forwarded to the beta area of this forum and subjected to the same ridicule you are now seeing.

Personally, I'd go for option 1.

I have nothing against it, I just prefer to avoid it. Maybe I could have found his e-mail somewhere, I didn't really check. I just assumed this was the more appropriate place to go anyway and I've learned something as a result. He doesn't even WANT to be bothered by people. It's in his sig.

You have a lot to learn, Grasshopper. Many suggestions from users have been added over the past couple of years. They all toss their ideas into the forum and their ideas are measured against their usefulness.

To be completely honest, I don't mind what others think, whether it's people that use ImgBurn or diehards that live at its forum.

What a relief. We don't care what you think either.

You people are pests.

=))

So.... you've sunk to the point that you feel the need to begin name-calling. That's unfortunate. Name calling is the last resort of someone lacking the ability to express themselves in an intellectual manner. You twat.

I am awaiting Lightning UK's verdict and I have a pretty good idea it will be a big flat out "no".

We told you that days ago.

To be more honest, I'd much rather prefer a short reason why he wouldn't support it,

So... the author of this software is expected to explain himself to an anonymous user as to why he won't add support for a format that nobody uses? Try the MSN forum. They get paid to deal with halfwits.

In the end, I don't really care if he decides to support CISO.

Then why have you spent the last week debating with us? All you've done is sulk and provide a cheap source of entertainment.... which I should thank you for. Thanks!

-Neil

neil_student_180_150x180.jpg

neil_student_180_150x180.jpg

Is that your picture?

I just had to make this final reply. I was waiting to hear your massive reply just so I could have a reason to finally leave this thread. The ironic part is, I will have left while you're still here being the twat. Every forum has a ringleader, I can see that you're it. Since most of what you said in your replies was predictable, I won't give you the time of day with a full fledged reply. However, in regard to your comment about "name calling"... you've got it all wrong. You see, I'm completely right. You and your fellows really are pests. No need to admit it since you know it's true, just try and make others feel like a lowlife: mission accomplished.

Have fun being "arseholes" <-- :P

-Neil

P.S. I just noticed... Why does that picture say "neil_student..." in the title? Perhaps you felt the need to google "Sad neil" and post the first thing you found? Man, that's depressing. I can see you waste no time dicking around on the internet!

In life, if you hand critism out, .................. be prepared to take critism as well . It seems you can comment but dont like response, in other words you can give it, but you cant take it.

Its nice to know we have moved up a notch in your estimations, by promoting us to arseholes from pests :thumbup: thank you :) i wont fall into the same trap as yourself using name calling as a means of defence

No need to thank us for your guilt complex about feeling like a lowlife either ................... its all your own work by the looks of it, so congratulations on that one ;) .

Have fun with your CISO projects, and maybe it will be popular enough to be included in Windows 2026 or 2031? .

It wouldnt be so bad if youd been about in this forum before and made a few comments or introduced yourself, but to come in and keep going on and on about some obscure file format and how LUK should implement it into ImgBurn made you look a bit daft , and when the message was displayed that its unlikely to be implemented, ......... you still kept on.

bottom line it, It seems its not going to supported , your suggestion was worth making, but learn to accept when your on a loser just give up then rather than keep going on about it.

Oh, and you will come back , this wont be your final reply, as you seem like the kind of person who doesnt know when to give up :P

EDIT i just caught you looking in again as i posted this, so i was right :lol: see screen shot below

post-11-1235134664_thumb.png

I just had to make this final reply.

You're still here? Your input to this forum could be compared, on an intellectual level, to wiping ones' arse. Neither memorable or astounding.

I was waiting to hear your massive reply just so I could have a reason to finally leave this thread.

You needed a reason to leave and felt the need to share that reason with people, like myself, who don't care? Not too bright, are you?

The ironic part is, I will have left while you're still here being the twat.

The ironic part is that you haven't left. You're still here. Even my dog knows when it's not wanted and he spends half of the day licking his balls.

Every forum has a ringleader, I can see that you're it.

Wrong again, genius. I, like the other permanent fixtures here, assist those having hardware or software problems. Have a look around the forum. You might actually learn something by mistake.

Since most of what you said in your replies was predictable,

Which makes me wonder why you bothered to even reply.

I won't give you the time of day with a full fledged reply.

I don't give a flying fuck what you do. Next week you won't even be a memory. The people needing help and support will find us here long after you've left, which, I assume, is soon.

just try and make others feel like a lowlife: mission accomplished.

Not others. Just you. Those willing to learn are always welcomed here. The occasional blight on the gene pool, like yourself, is something we're used to dealing with.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

First of all thank you Neil for starting this thread. I hit it on a search for exactly CISO burning.

I wonder why there is so much bashing this guy for suggesting support for this. You guys do not seem very open-minded.

I feel Neil has explained it perfectly.

Now we are two that are asking, and I have many colleagues and friends that are asking for this as well. Since we do a lot of ISO backups, this would be a great thing. We can compress the ISO to take less space on disk. Why would we want to have to extract or convert in order to burn the image.

Here is a private, real life example:

I have three kids, and a Wii. I can, and do back up my store bought Wii games (yes I have a LG drive, and my wii is modified). Anyway, I backup each disk to an ISO and save it on two different HDs. When the kids scratch a disk, I burn a new one, keeping the original on the shelf. Now, since we spent a good fortune on the 40+ games we have invested in, that takes up a fair amount of disk space. Each 4.7GB ISO can be compressed to half or less, since Nintendo uses a lot of empty space in their images.

It would be great to be able to burn the image directly from a CISO format instead of handling it first.

Looking forward to ImgBurn supporting CISO. If it never makes it into ImgBurn, that will be too bad, because it really is a cool tool.

Best Regards,

Rick

It's not about being open/close minded, I just don't want to do it - end of story.

Well, thanks for the quick reply. It's nice that you guys use so much time monitoring and replying to the forum. That really is a good thing. / mean that.

I wonder if all you guys are still in school (like high school grade 9 or something). I mean the way you bash people, it really seems like you are teenagers or something.

And it is definately about being closed minded here 100%. You have not once said that this is difficult or anything. That could at least be understood.

just don't want to do it, end of story=closed minded.

Don't take this like I am trying to convince you to change your mind. You are clearly set on your decision.

Bye.

Rick

PS. Could someone help me get in touch with Neil? When I click on his link I get the following error:

Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information.

Did you delete his account because you did not like his posts?

Edited by rick78

Yes that's right, I'm 13. The rest of the guys are my friends from school - some of them are the year above me though.

:doh:

I tend to add what I have a use for.

I have no use for .CISO support, nor any other compressed format.

If burning the compressed files is such a problem / chore for you, don't compress them. If you really must compress the files because of disc space issues, why don't you do it the old fashion way with zip/rar/7zip etc? You can't be burning your 'archived' files so frequently that you couldn't spend a couple of minutes decompressing them first.

lol this is interesting from the ciso.h file...

// Non requirements.

//

// 1. Ability to read image from non-seeking file or pipe.

// - Image is expected to be used primarily in environments

// where random access is required. If random access were

// not required it would be more appropriate to place a

// normal ISO image inside a compressed archive such as

// a ZIP or GZ file.

That's their words, not mine!

lol this is interesting from the ciso.h file...

// Non requirements.

//

// 1. Ability to read image from non-seeking file or pipe.

// - Image is expected to be used primarily in environments

// where random access is required. If random access were

// not required it would be more appropriate to place a

// normal ISO image inside a compressed archive such as

// a ZIP or GZ file.

That's their words, not mine!

But it is a requirement and that is why we want it. As far as I know you cannot burn a ZIP or a GZ file, or can you? By being able to access it you do not have pack it out first.

More about my reason: I have started using the USB loader on my Wii, which can load the CISO directly, like a jukebox. Therefore I can keep all my images in CISO format.

That is awesome that you are so young and can make such cool stuff. Look forward to other stuff you develope later. Hope you stick with it and enjoy it as well.

If LUK! is 13 then I'm a pink tutu wearing dancing ballerina princess LOL!!

Can't believe this thread has been resurrected. But Kudos to Rick and Neil for making lurking on this forum so entertaining.

Keep it up guys, I have no life (except of course for the pink tutu wearing etc., etc.,) so I need this stuff.

:teehee::teehee:

Keep it up guys, I have no life (except of course for the pink tutu wearing etc., etc.,) so I need this stuff.
:thumbup:

=))=))

And I'm 62....yep....62 and just get a huge kick out of signing on here and reading what YOU want on a program that didn't cost YOU a cent; has frequent updates, a bunch of beta's that can't wait to give you a hand with a real problem and a developer that made this program to fill a need and then offered it out to the masses for the piddling donations that he receives.

Since copying any copyrighted data is still illegal in most parts of the world, and, since we could give a shit about your not being able to keep your originals in pristine shape, I would venture to say that your question has been asked, answered and should now be a fond memory and nothing more.

spinner

For users out there who have CISO (or CFS, ISZ, DAA) images they want to burn:

The ISO reader in PFMAP has a hidden feature that allows on-the-fly conversion from supported formats to normal ISO. This allows burning CISO, CFS, ISZ, and some DAA and UIF images without needing to first convert the image. I have not specifically tried this with Imgburn, but it has worked with other burning utilities.

From a cmd prompt:

>pfm mount somefileset.ciso

>start "" somefileset.ciso\.$media

>dvdburn.exe d: somefileset.ciso\.$media\image.iso

You can do this through explorer or your burning programs open dialog by using the "quick mount" context menu item. You will need to type the ".$media" in manually as the folder does not otherwise show up.

Now that the help is out of the way, on to the commentary.

Neil is not the author of PFM or CISO, as suggested in an earlier post. He did e-mail with questions about CISO, and the text he pasted into an earlier post was from my reply.

CISO is not the same as the CSO files created by the Playstation related ciso.exe utility. I aploligize for any confusion. File extensions and acronyms are a mess.

The CISO (Compact ISO) format exists because:

1. The existing enhanced image formats are undocumented.

MagicISO(UIF) and PowerISO(DAA) seem to actively obfuscate their formats to prevent 3rd party readers, try googling "luigi magiciso". Even the public ISZ documentation is incomplete, requiring reverse engineering work before you can independently build a reader.

2. The existing enhanced image formats were missing features I needed for SMX, self mounting executables. Specifically, the existing formats have no facilities for digital signatures, stub executables, and encryption in some of them is not implemented very well. Plus, I needed compression ratios that were better than zip/gz, and performance better than bzip2.

I do not expect 3rd party utilities to add support for CISO anytime soon, if ever. My motives for releasing the documentation and code have more to do with my disdain of software companies holding users data hostage in proprietary formats, than with a desire to see the format supported by other utilities.

Joe

Give it up rick - how bloody hard is it to decompress a file once in a while? And if it is hard, don't save in that format anyway. I mean saving 80Gb (40 games x 2 Gb) can't be high on the agenda in these days, can it?

Don't bother answering - just give it up.

Regards

Anyway, it seems jlowe48 has developed ciso for HIS purposes.

The CISO (Compact ISO) format exists because:

1. ...

2. The existing enhanced image formats were missing features I needed for SMX, self mounting executables

And ImgBurn has been written because that's the stuff LUK wants in HIS program.

I tend to add what I have a use for.

I have no use for .CISO support, nor any other compressed format.

Be kind enough to recognise that rick and move on.

Regards

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.