LITE-ON SOHW-1633S + TDK DVD-R = Fail???

eNtropy0618

OK, So...

I just downloaded a couple ISO's of Windows 7, and checked them both to make sure they work by way of DAEMON Tools. Next step... Burn the 64bit one so I can test it out on my XP box.

I am using ImgBurn 2.4.2.0, Windows Vista Home Premium SP1, a LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1633S BPSA.

That didn't work. The image burned but it gave me a "Session 1, Track 1 is smaller on the disk than the image file" error.

I searched the forums, and found a prepackaged .exe for upgrading to SOHW-1653 CS0T firmware. I ran it and restarted.

I tried burning it again. It burned, but upon the verification process I got a shit-ton of errors before even making it to 10% verification. Here's the output:

I 11:39:53 ImgBurn Version 2.4.2.0 started!

I 11:39:53 Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition (6.0, Build 6001 : Service Pack 1)

I 11:39:53 Total Physical Memory: 2,093,240 KB - Available: 1,327,056 KB

I 11:39:53 Initialising SPTI...

I 11:39:53 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 11:40:02 Found 1 DVD

Is there anything else I can do beside that? It's great that those are known-good's for this software, and if all else fails I'll keep that in mind, but I'm sitting here with almost a thousand TDK DVD-Rs and no access to any others. So taking the DVD-R's out of the equation, I hope there's something else I can do. Any suggestions?

I 11:40:19 Destination Device: [0:0:0] LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1653S CS0T (D:) (ATA)

I 11:40:19 Destination Media Type: DVD-R (Disc ID: CMC MAG. AM3) (Speeds: 4x, 6x, 8x)

Another solution would be a new burner as yours is old as the hills.

'TDK' doesn't mean anything, it's the dye that's important and those ones are using the 'CMC MAG. AM3' dye - which isn't too clever.

Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden ONLY use the best dyes on the market (MCC / MKM / TY).

Try cleaning your drive with a cleaning disc (or take it apart and do it manually - carefully!), it's old and has probably got dirty over the years.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.