unable to write

kschwi

Hi,

I believe I copied my DVD correctly as I have a file on my hard drive called DVD video recording that is 4,000,000 KB. However, when I followed the directions to write and inserted a blank DVD-R into my disk drive it spins and spins and I get a message at the bottom that says device not ready (unable to recover TOC). My son has been able to burn CDs with the drive but I have a feeling my disk drive can't write DVDs. is that correct?

; //****************************************\\

; ImgBurn Version 2.4.2.0 - Log

; Sunday, 22 March 2009, 20:23:14

; \\****************************************//

;

;

I 19:09:50 ImgBurn Version 2.4.2.0 started!

I 19:09:50 Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 3)

I 19:09:50 Total Physical Memory: 1,038,712 KB - Available: 593,972 KB

I 19:09:50 Initialising SPTI...

I 19:09:50 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 19:09:50 Found 1 DVD-ROM/CD-RW!

I 20:23:13 Close Request Acknowledged

I 20:23:13 Closing Down...

I 20:23:14 Shutting down SPTI...

I 20:23:14 ImgBurn closed!

Edited by kschwi

• 3 weeks later...
Hi and welcome to the forum, kschwi! :)

I 19:09:50 Found 1 DVD-ROM/CD-RW!

Correct. Can only read DVDs and read/burn CD's.

What type of drive would I need and approximately how much do they run? Anything thing particular I'd need to know when shopping for a drive?

• 2 weeks later...
No idea where you live but they are not that expensive. Avoid re badged ones. Pick one that can burn +/- RW + DL (double layer) media.

Thanks. I may have to go online as someone locally quoted $50-$60. That seems high to me. Can anyone recommend a particular drive? Or perhaps an online review of DVD burning drives? Should I go internal or external?

Edited by kschwi

If your computer is a desktop, buy an internal DVD burner and replace the drive you currently have.

If your computer is a laptop, it's easier to get an external burner, which is really an internal burner in an external enclosure :wacko:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.