DVD player won't play data DVD?

Joyce

I purchased a DVD writer a few days ago, installed it, but whenever I burn a dvd with imgburn it just won't play on my dvd player. Before I owned a DVD writer I used to write the .avi files to a CD-R and got those to play on my DVD player which worked fine. So, my DVD Player CAN play .avi files and DivX, that's not the problem. (it's a Panasonic DMR-EH770)

Now when I try to burn a data DVD with .avi files on it, it just simply won't work. It burns fine, but whenever I insert it into my dvd player it says unformatted, and asks whether I want to format the DVD (which erases all data on the dvd).

I really don't know what to do!

I use a slow burning speed, I've tried several dvds (DVD-RAM, DVD-RW..), and even tried to play the dvds on my dvd player downstairs which plays everything, but even that didn't work! BTW. The DVD works fine on my computer.

Please help?! I don't feel like going back to burning CD's with AVI files on it...

Cheers!

Joyce

Edited by Joyce

To burn the CD's I actually used Realplayer, but my friend recommended imgburn to me because it's so much easier to use and doesn't take up so much space. But that shouldn't make a difference should it? I suppose I could try burning a data DVD with realplayer...

Anyway, Here's the log from yesterday. Thanks for helping! :)

; //****************************************\\

; ImgBurn Version 2.4.2.0 - Log

; Monday, 23 March 2009, 12:53:46

; \\****************************************//

;

;

I 12:32:17 ImgBurn Version 2.4.2.0 started!

I 12:32:17 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 3)

I 12:32:17 Total Physical Memory: 391,664 KB - Available: 221,252 KB

W 12:32:17 Drive F:\ (FAT32) does not support single files > 4 GB in size.

I 12:32:18 Initialising SPTI...

I 12:32:18 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 12:32:19 Found 1 DVD-ROM and 1 DVD

Edited by Joyce

Open a previously burnt CD up on your computer via Explorer and tell me what you see in the way of folders / files. Now do the same for the DVD.

That realplayer thing might be converting the file, I can't tell exactly what you're burning there because it's from an image file - which isn't really what I expected you to be doing.

Little update.

I opened a previously burnt cd and dvd, and when I look in explorer, the cd lists the files that are on it; video1.avi, video2.avi, etc. However, when I insert the DVD there's nothing there. It's just blank!

I'm trying to burn a DVD-RW now, to see if that makes any difference so fingers crossed!

Again, no luck with the DVD-RW :(

; //****************************************\\

; ImgBurn Version 2.4.2.0 - Log

; Tuesday, 24 March 2009, 16:29:49

; \\****************************************//

;

;

I 15:35:09 ImgBurn Version 2.4.2.0 started!

I 15:35:09 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 3)

I 15:35:09 Total Physical Memory: 391,664 KB - Available: 159,948 KB

W 15:35:09 Drive F:\ (FAT32) does not support single files > 4 GB in size.

I 15:35:10 Initialising SPTI...

I 15:35:10 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 15:35:10 Found 1 DVD-ROM and 1 DVD

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.