Burn DATA DVDs or DATA CDs?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Create an ISO file from your data files and then burn!

for sure !

but, if possible a visual interface for building/burning (like visualiso from http://cdr.dpaehl.de/ )would be simply GREAT!

Never tried it. I'll grab it now. :)

also for burning video_ts folder, in automatic imgburn could create iso than burn it !

Hmm.... Rightly or wrongly, I'll throw my 2 cents in. Stay with me here......

We can't discuss anything related to bypassing copyright protection on DVDs. Logically, if you have a non-protected DVD you have likely created it yourself using an authoring program such as TMPGEnc DVD Author or another authoring package. Yes? All authoring programs that I'm aware of create and burn their own disk images. Perhaps you're copying a home movie. In this case is would simply be a matter of using the ISO READ/WRITE functions of a now sadly-defunct program. Assuming your home movie has been borrowed from friends or family and needs to be transferred from a DVD9 to a DVD5, then DVD Shink will compress the files, create an ISO which can then be burned automatically with Nero or whatever.

The point I'm trying to make is that their are already tools available that can do what you're asking. To go back to our home movie, why would you compress the files to VTS sets then run ImgBurn to create an ISO before burning it to disk? It's a hell of alot easier just to let DVD Shrink do the hard work. That said, if DVD Shrink were to be updated sometime in the future to call ImgBurn instead of Nero or that other "bad" program, ImgBurn will grow in popularity.

A couple of years ago the idea might had had some merit, (back when we used to use ImgTool to create ISOs because DVD Shrink didn't have the ability to read or write disk images), but I don't see any real use for the work that would be involved with its inclusion but that's just my opinion. :)

... Disclaimer: The author of this message reserves to right to be proven wrong in the future.

• 3 weeks later...

LIGHTNING UK!, what do you think of this idea to allow ImgBurn to be able to record DATA DVDs?

The interface of the very old RecordNow Max was perfect for it, but RNMX is very outdated and doesn't work with recent recorders (such a Matshita UJ-830s, etc..) so it would be extremely pleasant to be able to burn such DVDs with ImgBurn.

The interface looked like this:

rnminterface.jpg

See you!

TSR

Yes, an interface to compile DATA DVDs (and CDs) would be excellent.

I didn't find any good free program that can build an ISO from files. I tried VisualISO from Paehl, and correct me if I'm wrong, but VisualISO only creates a simple text file with file paths, and not an ISO image.

A feature to create a data cd/dvd would be great. What I love about imgburn is its simplicity. It's not bloatware like nero. If you've tried nero7, you will really understand the use of the word "bloat"

If mr lightningUK were to add this feature, there is a few things I think would be important.

1. Stay simple, only open some sort of extra window for adding files if needed. A good suggestion for such a window would be someting that resembled a filemanager like totalcommander. Of course a VERY simple one with functions like copy/makedir. Idea would be to "copy" files over to a virtual drive, and then press burn. I think this would be the easiest and most effective way of creating your cd/dvd structure.

2. Stay simple. Yes I know I already mentioned this, but it's very important.

At the end I just want to thank LightningUK for making such excellent software. dvddec, and now imgburn, is always one of the first things I install. It's stable, easy to use, doesn't drink memory like a raving lunatic and doesn't mess up anything.

I am hoping that in the future, more programmers will realize that there is a need for speed/effectiveness instead of lots of fancy crap noone uses. I hope one day I will be able to ditch all the burning bloat and have 1 small, effective program that suits all my needs.

Yes, an interface to compile DATA DVDs (and CDs) would be excellent.

I didn't find any good free program that can build an ISO from files. I tried VisualISO from Paehl, and correct me if I'm wrong, but VisualISO only creates a simple text file with file paths, and not an ISO image.

Burnatonce and CDBurnerxp will do this. Also Ghostburn from here: http://ghosthunter.6x.to/

This guy here http://cdr.dpaehl.de/ also has some tools that will do the job.

Be nice if imgburn would do this though... :)

• 3 weeks later...

I just thought I'd chime in with my $.02 as well. I agree with what gammalost said. ImgBurn is quite awesome (been using your software for a while now). The only thing I could want would be the ability to compile a CD/DVD session and burn it straight to disc (without having to first create an ISO). Since ImgBurn supports more formats that most other applications (CDBurnerXP can't build a VideoDVD, for example), I would love for it to support this functionality as well.

It seems like this could be accomplished with a very simpe GUI. Just offer the ability to create data/audio/video and display a file tree where you could drop files from Explorer to. That's really it, though, I realize a lot would need to be done on the backend...

I know that this is a bit beyond the scope of what you really want to accomplish with your program, but I would be willing to pay for such an application (maybe create another program that was a superset of ImgBurn that could also create the data the discs).

• 2 weeks later...

i just registered to suggest the same thing but i guess i was a bit late ;)

just like you TheShadowRunner i also use RNM to record data cds/dvds, it's the only program that i found that allows you to record dvds and not use joliet. it would be a great thing if you could do such a program LIGHTNING UK!

I had a question about burning data discs and someone told me about SCDwriter.exe. It's a great program for making images. I use that to burn all my data onto discs then use imgburn. But it's a great idea and saves me a step!

Now I just need to figure out how to burn video so it can be watched on a DVD player. Video files like clips downloaded from the internet or subbed anime. >.>

Edited by Laughing Man

• 4 weeks later...

hello!

I agree with all that ISO composing is needed. Lets suppose that you don't want to run too many programs on your computer. One of the reasons is that your registry file will get too many keys (wich you can't get rid off later). Most of late burning programs just want to call home (so i guess they're all collecting some data), where is my privacy then? And i don't want that someone will collect all my gf pics, and use it someday for unknown purpose. Ok maybe i'm overdoing, but maybe just that happend someday and you can never know whats going out when everything is heavyly encrypted this days.

And frankly i haven't seen any program better suited for this job then this one. :innocent: So i say yes to ISO image building from files on my hdd. Comes inhandy when you want to make backups, storing my art, my music i made, ... etc etc.

I wonder why people always get wrong impression that burning is used just for illegal copies :angry:

For that work people use cloneCD or cloneDVD or something like that, i think, and no simple ISO building tools.

ps.: sorry on my bad english... i hope you'll all survive that :rolleyes:

Edited by A777

• 3 weeks later...

OMG!

I just registered to this forum because I too wanted to suggest this feature be added to ImgBurn!

LIGHTNING UK! this topic was started 3 months ago..... how come you never reply?

This would be such a great and useful feature for ImgBurn. To be able to burn DATA CDs/DVDs.

And i don't want that someone will collect all my gf pics, and use it someday for unknown purpose.

Ok, you trying to convince us all of those girls were your girlfriends at some time :ermm: I must have counted at least 200 different girls, and how do you get them to agree to do all those things ? :blush:

Don't worry, I won't use them for any unknown purpose though - I'll give you a link to the website and free password so you'll know exactly the purpose I'm using them for :thumbup:

PS.. You might want to start using a password on your system. :ph34r:

Only joshing =))

Wouldn't know how to hack into a wet paperbag :innocent:

OMG!

I just registered to this forum because I too wanted to suggest this feature be added to ImgBurn!

LIGHTNING UK! this topic was started 3 months ago..... how come you never reply?

This would be such a great and useful feature for ImgBurn. To be able to burn DATA CDs/DVDs.

ImgBurn setup ~800KB, mem in use during burn 30 megs.

The numbers speak for themselves.

ImgBurn setup ~800KB, mem in use during burn 30 megs.

The numbers speak for themselves.

HUH?????

????????????????????????????????????

????????????????????????????????????

WHAT the hell is that supposed to mean?

I don't understand what your point is here......

I gather chewy is pointing out how ImgBurn is so lean & clean, compared to a number of other bloated programs.

As to LUK! not commenting, I can understand that he may possibly get tired of posting the same response everytime someone posts to query / suggest this. :sleeping: A search would show that LUK! has previously indicated it will likely happen eventually :thumbup: (don't bother asking when).

Personally, I appreciate the time LUK! spends posting in the forum answering all those questions most of the rest of us would have no idea about, rather than repeating himself. It would also taken time away from that spent on development etc. (!)

Woah this thread indeed got bigger since I last came in here! O_o

Have you guys found a good, free and not bloated software to burn Data DVDs?

Really, RNMax is so old and quite buggy (crash on exit for me) that it would be fantastic to see such a feature in IMGBurn.

But until then, if you know a good prog, that'll do just fine ;)

Later,

TSR

Woah this thread indeed got bigger since I last came in here! O_o

Have you guys found a good, free and not bloated software to burn Data DVDs?

Really, RNMax is so old and quite buggy (crash on exit for me) that it would be fantastic to see such a feature in IMGBurn.

But until then, if you know a good prog, that'll do just fine ;)

Later,

TSR

I am still searching.... :wacko:

I can't find any software out there than can burn DATA and is not bloated. :'(

For some reason, I can't stand burning anything unless i'm doing it with IMGBURN.

Lightning_UK, I really hope you can give us this feature soon. I love burning with ImgBurn, and I refuse to use anything else.

Thanks for the great program!

• 2 weeks later...
OMG!

Same here. ImgBurn is a great program for burning images and I hope it will become a full CD/DVD burning application (DATA/VIDEO etc.)

I wouldn't mind paying 30 euro's or so for such a version (of course if it's updated regularly) ;)

Sadly I still use the bloated Nero now for DATA DVD's :/

• 3 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.