Potential? Bug? With burning OS install disc to CD instead of DVD

Falcon

Hey... I don't know exactly what goes on inside the file system of a CD/DVD (much more familiar with HDD filesystems than CD/DVDs), so I don't know if this is a bug, or what it is. But it does seem to be ImgBurn related although the error is occurring in another application and regarding a rather hackish mind-bending of Windows Setup...

Well, I seem to have found a pattern in a critical error during Setup... actually, the error is in the program, but... bah!

Here's the main thread I wrote up all the information in: http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic.php?id=3670

Basically, when I burned the source files to a CD-R (or a CD-RW), it coughed up that nasty error message, on two different drives. When I burned the exact same files in the exact same way to a DVD+RW, the Setup process worked fine.

Perhaps there's some difference between the way... a CD filesystem is burned... compared to how a DVD filesystem is burned...? I really don't know, but it's pretty easily reproducible: CD doesn't work, DVD does work. :wacko::unsure:

Halp...? What can I do to help diagnose the problem?

I'm actually starting to think that, although I can't understand why it'd be reproducible in different drives, especially burned on a CD-R at 8x on an older 52x Plextor CD burner. I can't understand how the verify would go through, then the reading-computer would cough up such an odd error...

Well, I'm burning my "second final" copy onto CD-R now... hoping not to produce another coaster. This time, I let nLite create the bootable ISO and having ImgBurn burn the image. Not exactly scientific method since there's been more than one thing changed, but... I do need to get this done before tomorrow :(

As for the CD/DVD thing, so you're saying there's... effectively no difference between the way a DVD and CD filesystem is made? I mean, is there anything... at all different?

edit: Curiously, I tried that same failed disc back in the computer that burned it, and fired up a VMware installation to try installing from it. It had no errors. It definitely seems like my test-computer had a glitch, but it's... still quite strange. It sounded like an application error... =\

Edited by Falcon

Well, the reason I ask is that I've had problems with burning ISOs directly to DVD and becoming corrupted in the process (won't be bootable), and nLite's direct-to-disc function (using CDIMAGE I think...? somehow?) doesn't work at all with DVDs or DVD+RW's... so I'd figured that ImgBurn makes a different filesystem for DVDs which is why I've always used ImgBurn to burn my OS DVD+RW's ;)

All seems to be working fine now... maybe for the moment, who knows, but I've gotta get some sleep and yet another bug in my build surfaced (unrelated to ImgBurn) after I burned my final copy... *facepalm* It never ends... :P

Many many endless thanks for the great app, as usual! :D

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.