FU

dbminter

http://www.rr.com/news/news/article/1120/7...curdles_in_Colo

"Woman's tofu license plate curdles in Colo.

One Colorado woman's love for tofu has been judged X-rated by state officials. Kelly Coffman-Lee wanted to tell the world about her fondness for bean curd by picking certain letters for her SUV's license plate. Her suggestion for the plate: "ILVTOFU." But the Division of Motor Vehicles blocked her plan because they thought the combination of letters could be interpreted as profane.

Says Department of Revenue spokesman Mark Couch: "We don't allow 'FU' because some people could read that as street language for sex."

Officials meet periodically to ensure state plates stay free of letters that abbreviate gang slang, drug terms or obscene phrases.

The 38-year-old Coffman-Lee says tofu is a staple of her family's diet because they are vegan and that the DMV misinterpreted her message."

So how does that work DB? You can pick the letters for your plate? Is it just for that state?

Over here - UK - you get a plate given you when the vehicle is licensed and its luck of the draw as to what you get - or it used to be. I think now they sell off the good ones and a plate like ILVTOFU would fetch serious money.

Selling number plates is big business. LUK 33S for instance, the nearest I could get to LUK 1, would cost

Plates here are issued to the vehicle as long as the owner retains ownership of it. If you sell or trade it you can keep the plate and pay the transfer fee for it.

Vehicle Registration Fees

Registration Transactions

Plate / Registration Transfer

$ 4.50

Duplicate / Replacement Sticker

$ 4.50

Replace / Exchange Plates 1 Plate

$ 4.75 / $ 5.00

Replace / Exchange Plates 2 Plates

$ 6.00 / $ 6.25

Replacement Registration

$ 4.50

Temporary (30-day) Tag

$ 10.50

Out-of-State Vehicle Inspection

$ 3.50

Snowmobile / APV (3 years)

$ 8.50

Restricted Plate (with current Registration)

$ 6.25

Plate(s) Mailing Fee (based on current rates)

(based on current rates)

Vehicle Annual Renewal Registration Fees*

Passenger

$ 34.50

House Vehicle / Moped

$ 24.50

Motorcycle

$ 28.50

Motor Home

$ 49.50

Light Non-Commercial (up to

In New Zealand we have a plate service called Personalised Plates. Custom plates you buy are yours for life, unless you sell yours. The ones that fetch the most money (used custom plates) are full word plates up to 6 letters long ie rotary, monkey, sounds, ford, toyota, mazda, others include horsepower plates ie 507hp (BMW M5) and model based plates ie MR2 SC, 3SGTE, 4AGZE (I used to own an 87 MR2 SC 5sp manual). Pricing varies based on the style you want, a premium plate (choose all 6 letters + numbers) is NZ$799.

So how does that work DB? You can pick the letters for your plate? Is it just for that state?

Over here - UK - you get a plate given you when the vehicle is licensed and its luck of the draw as to what you get - or it used to be. I think now they sell off the good ones and a plate like ILVTOFU would fetch serious money.

Selling number plates is big business. LUK 33S for instance, the nearest I could get to LUK 1, would cost

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.