Support for CloneCD and PlexTools images

Guest Sebastian Mares

Guest Sebastian Mares

Hello!

I just found out about this application and installed it right away. Now I no longer need DAEMON Tools for burning an image to CD/DVD.

What I would like to suggest is adding support for CloneCD and PlexTools image files. CloneCD images are made of three files: CCD, IMG and SUB. While IMG is supported by ImgBurn, I am not sure if that is enough (subchannel data seems to be lost). PlexTools images have the PXI extension, however, I am not sure if their EULA allows other applications to support PXI files (they recently sued a developer who made it possible to do quality scans outside PlexTools using Plextor drives).

Regards,

Sebastian

ImgBurn will never be a substitute for CloneCD and won't burn 'raw' images with subchannel data.

Same for PXI images probably - as I'd expect they also contain subchannel data - all be it in a single file using 2448 sector size.

PXI is also very uncommon. Why would you use PlexTools to make the image in the first place and then look to another app to burn them?

PlexTools images have the PXI extension, however, I am not sure if their EULA allows other applications to support PXI files (they recently sued a developer who made it possible to do quality scans outside PlexTools using Plextor drives).

If you're referring to the PxScan utility available here:

http://www-user.tu-chemnitz.de/~noe/Plextor/index.php

I don't think that progressed past the "threat" level, and the author continued after getting assurances from legal counsel that developing a 3rd party utility for a piece of hardware is not an infringement. Apparently Plextor agreed and instead included "protected commands" in their PX-755 drive (see the linked site)!

I do agree that Plextools is great for copying audio CDs, as it correctly reads pre-gap information. I had been using Alcohol 120%, only to discover later that despite it being used in raw mode with reading of subchannels, it set all pre-gaps to 0 seconds - resulting in an inexact copy! I reported that and they acknowledged the problem, though I don't think they ever fixed it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.