CD/DVD drive disappeared

ejb

Hi,

I installed imgburn yesterday, sucessfully ripped a CD image, happily burned a DVD image... and then lost my drive. It's no longer shown in explorer, not detected in the device manager and not found by imgburn. The drive made a brief reappearance the first time I went looking for it in the device manager, but didn't seem to be operational. At least I couldn't access its properties. Anyway, it disappeared again shortly after.

I searched the forum, I understand it might have something to do with filter drivers and DMA in windows XP, so I uninstalled (and reinstalled) my IDE controllers as per the FAQ, with no effect. The list of my filter drivers is below:

===============================================

Filter Driver Load Order - ImgBurn v2.4.3.0

===============================================

Upper Device Filter: [None Found]

Upper Class Filter: GEARAspiWDM

Device: CD/DVD-ROM Device

Lower Class Filter: PxHelp20

Lower Device Filter: [None Found]

Filter Name: GEARAspiWDM

File Name: C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\GEARAspiWDM.sys

File Version: 2.00.07.05 [2.0.7.5]

File Description: CD DVD Filter

Product Name: CD DVD Filter

Product Version: 2.00.07.05 [2.0.7.5]

Company Name: GEAR Software Inc.

Copyright: Copyright

post-18499-1239436149_thumb.jpg

Edited by ejb

As there are no replies as yet, I'm more than willing to jump in and look like an idiot. That said, the first thing I'd blame would be iTunes. As Apple are notorious for not un-installing their software correctly or having it work at all on 64bit operating systems,

EDIT: Try re-installing the latest iTunes before attempting to kill it as described below.

I'd use Revo Uninstaller to get rid of iTunes and the mountains of crud that goes with it. If it works, you win. If not, you've lost nothing but a few minutes of your day and then have to re-install it. No big deal. You can find Revo Uninstaller here:

http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninst...e_download.html

It's free and contains no parasites or spyware and will remove all traces of iTunes if you choose to do so. Take it slow and easy. Watch what the program is doing and you'll be fine. After the crap is gone from your system, (and you've re-booted), Windows will be able to do what it's supposed to do, which, among other things, is to look after your hardware.

Piece of... how did it suddenly disconnect? I have not been shaking it around or anything.

Nevermind. HP will come and fix it soon. At least they can't tell me that imgburn must be the problem.

Thanks guys.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.