Disc readable in States, not readable in Russia.

Scandal

Hi,

A friend of mine from States sent me a maxell dvd-r disc with video here in Russia. She burned disc, tested it, it was working,and sent it via post. Here I tested it on 2 notebooks, 2 dvd players, 1 destkop and it doesn't work. Dvd drives try to load disc many times and sometimes it gives a message, what disc file system is unknown or disc is incompatible. Dvd players just go into infinite loading.

I've tried to get info about disc status with CDcheck program and it wrote this:

Disc type: 2 (DVD-R)

Information cannot be retrieved!

ILLEGAL REQUEST - invalid field in command packet (Sense: 05 24 00)

I've tried to recover disc data with same program and it couldn't recover anything, just gave error what file system is unknown or disc is incompatible.

In my computer folder, disc appers to have size of 0 byte and file system is RAW. In Nero InfoTool disc have size 4.78 GB. Physically disc was fine, just one or two minor scratches and that's all.

Today I recieved a new disc. Maxell brand again, identically to that I got before. I requested disc from other manufacturer, but she used maxell again, don't know why yet. Disc have no scratches at all, but same thing happens as happened to first disc.

CDcheck writes this:

error, win32, Can't identify disc file system. Make sure what all system drivers are loaded, and what disc is not damaged.

critical, file/directory in setup window not found!

And that sense key appears same as on first disc, or sometimes like this:

Information cannot be retrieved!

NOT READY - medium not present (Sense: 02 3A 00)

Imgburn verify goes into infinite accessing to disc and seems to freeze.

===============================================

Filter Driver Load Order - ImgBurn v2.4.4.0

===============================================

Upper Device Filter: redbook

Upper Class Filter: GEARAspiWDM

Device: CD/DVD-ROM Device

Lower Class Filter: PxHelp20

Lower Device Filter: imapi

Filter Name: redbook

File Name: C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\redbook.sys

File Version: 5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)

File Description: Драйвер фильтра звука "красной книги"

Product Name: Операционная система Microsoft

Edited by Scandal

What does ImgBurn say when you're in read mode with that disc in the drive?

Excuse me, don't understand where exactly I have to look. Is this enough? I ahve only Toshiba DVD in my computer now, but I replace it with Teac CD-RW burner sometimes, so probably what's why it founds 2 DVD-ROMs.

SmBSkM317C.jpg

Edited by Scandal

Click the 'Create image file from disc' button (or 'Mode' -> 'Read' in the menu at the top).

Put the unreadable disc in the drive and give it a minute to initialise, then get me another screenshot like that.

I let it run for ~5 minutes or so and all this time it freezes at "Getting Media Status...". Even windows clock stops moving. After I press close button, it displays some info in the box for a part of second, but I can't catch it with printscreen button, because it closes immideatly after that. I will try more to capture it.

Edited by Scandal

There is some movement:

TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-M1912 TM01 (SCSI)

Current Profile: Unknown (FAILED!)

Disc Information:

Erasable: Unknown

Formatted: Unknown

Sessions: Unknown

Going to make iso now.

Update: Freezes at "Starting Operation"

Edited by Scandal

Do you not have a newer drive you can try to read it in? No DVD burner or anything?

I'm just after a screenshot when it says 'Ready' in the status bar really.... no need to start a read operation.

Personally I'd give up though, the drive obviously hates the disc.

As I wrote in first post, I tested first disc on 3 different computers and 2 dvd players. Result is same, more precisely no result. Program defintely displays some infromation after I click close, but it seems almost impossible to catch this. I could record it with windows desktop capture program on video, but it freezes along with rest of computer and starts recording only after Imgburn closed, no matter then I'd start record.

I'll try to run this run mode for an hour tommorow, may be it will display something.

Yeah but for all I know, the other 2 PCs might have equally ancient DVD-ROM drives in them.

A DVD burner is far more tolerant of writable media than a DVD-ROM is.

For the purposes of just checking the disc, attempting to actually read it is a waste of time.

It's enough to just insert the disc and wait for ImgBurn's Read mode to say 'Ready' down the bottom in the status bar.

Everything I need to know will then be visible on the main window and in that disc information box on the right.

Try ISO Puzzle - the disc is damaged. If you can get the drive to read the disc at all, ISOPuzzle may be able to (over some time, which might be hours) recover all the info. ISOPuzzle can also work on many machines (see the readme). I had a DVD that had 180 sectors unreadable on this machine, which were readable on my laptop, and so recovered the whole disc!

The disc does need to be at least partly readable on your drive though.

Regards

ISO Puzzle seems to be working good.

XRmd05XEZ2.jpg

BeGlDSJuSi.jpg

After approx hour of working, it went into 27 minutes pause now for some reason. There should be just 30-40 minutes of video on disc, rest is clean. It recovered 2gb already, so hopefully .iso will be working in deamon tools.

Edited by Scandal

Read mode succesfully finished taking info of disc in about 10 minutes so here it is:

TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-M1912 TM01 (SCSI)

Current Profile: DVD-ROM

Disc Information:

Erasable: No

Sessions: 1

Sectors: 2

Edited by Scandal

You are very lucky if you got it all. Now, burn it onto a new disc quick!

ISOPuzzle cools down (unless you tell it not to) so the drive doesn't go on and on doing the same thing. It really is an overnight job in many cases.

Regards

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.