50gb bd-re

cockaleekieman

I just tried to copy a blu-ray which was 46gb and much to my frustration after trying to use a Sony 50gb bd-re in imgburn, was told there was'nt enough space on the disc.So i checked the available space on the Sony and it says 45gb,i then checked my Panasonic 50gb bd-re and that says it has 45gb available space,is this the nomal recording space for a 50gb bd-re. I checked wikipedia and it says a 50gb bd-re has 46.61gb, can't work out why both my Panasonic and Sony 50gb bd-re only show 45gb.

You have to format them 'without spare areas' if you want to use the full size.

The erase option confuses me somewhat,when you say format do you mean full erase?When useing this option before i have been getting to 49% aprox and an error occurs "erase command fail" it then goes back to zero and completes.Could you tell me what the discovery write option does, i suspect it writes zeroes to the disc and erases it.So when erasing a 50gb bd-re there are three options quick erase,full erase and discovery write, so should i always use the full erase to get the full amount of recordable space on the disc.

Edited by cockaleekieman

If the format command fails then your drive doesn't like the disc.

Ignore me when I mention format when you expect me to say erase... they're basically the same thing but I called it 'Erase' in the GUI and the actual command I send to the drive is called 'FORMAT UNIT' - so I'll often use both terms.

Make sure you use 2.4.4.0, it has lots of new bits for formatting/erasing bd-re.

You can quickly change your existing 'spare areas' format to a 'no spare areas' one by turning off full certification and turning on the option to format without spare areas. If you also disable 'prefer properly formatted discs', it won't try and zero all the sectors.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.