Installing filters question

GTW10

Hello,

I know I can get various codecs for ImgBurn at Free Codecs.com but I'm not sure which LAME version to download for mp3s to ensure ImgBurn will convert FLAC files into mp3 files for disc burning mp3 audio CD?

And once I do find which one to use, where do I install it? The CD Burning Guide up above doesn't say anything about that.

Then I'll need to create a mp3 .cue beforehand. What's the best way of doing this? Will I need to open the .cue file in notepad and manually edit them?

Sorry for the basic questions. Thanks.

ImgBurn only converts audio files when you're burning proper CD Audio discs (CD-DA).

If you want an MP3 audio disc you'll need to convert the files yourself as that's basically just like burning any old normal data disc.

The filters are directshow filters, most come with their own installer.

Failing that, you'll need to put them in a static location (i.e. one that will always be there) and then register them via 'regsvr32'.

i.e.

regsvr32

If you do actually want a proper CD Audio disc (playable on all cd players), just follow the guide - it tells you how to make the CUE. This feature is built into ImgBurn.

If you don't and you want an mp3 audio (data) disc, you don't need a CUE file. Just drag the folders/files into the 'Source' box in Build mode and burn your disc.

ImgBurn only converts audio files when you're burning proper CD Audio discs (CD-DA).

Like burning .flac files from the cue file into WAV?

For example, on the track line in the cue file "01 - songtitleone.flac" WAV

Right?

If you want an MP3 audio disc you'll need to convert the files yourself as that's basically just like burning any old normal data disc.

Ok, but I still need a cue file because many of these album tracks (that will be converted into mp3) have no gap between them. The songs run together. The only other option is to take the .flac files, decode them into wav and then physically join the two or three tracks together into one track, leaving out not only the cues but also making it a very time consuming process. I want to avoid that.

The filters are directshow filters, most come with their own installer.

According to what I see at the free codecs website, the LAME ones don't have an installer.

Failing that, you'll need to put them in a static location (i.e. one that will always be there) and then register them via 'regsvr32'.

How about the system32 folder? Or should it be a separate folder under the Program Files folder?

i.e.

regsvr32 <filtername>

In other words: regsvr32 lame.exe

From the start menu - cmd

Right?

If you don't and you want an mp3 audio (data) disc, you don't need a CUE file. Just drag the folders/files into the 'Source' box in Build mode and burn your disc.

Again, that goes back to my problem of two or more tracks that run together. I know those audible gaps will show up on the burned CD when I don't want them to. Burning from a cue file would take care of that.

Edited by GTW

Burning from a CUE of audio files makes a CD-DA disc, not a data disc. The two are totally different.

ImgBurn doesn't create any new files when it's burning the disc (from a CUE), the data from the compressed audio file is simply fed into directshow and then its output (Raw PCM) is written directly to the disc as a bunch of audio sectors (2352 bytes per sector).

Yes the system32 folder is fine for DS filters.

lame.exe is a command line tool, not a directshow filter. You don't register it at all.

If you don't want gaps on an mp3 disc then yes, you'll need to merge the songs that play as one long track... personally I wouldn't bother. A split second gap as it switches mp3's is worth it so you can skip tracks and have proper names for what's being played.

Burning from a CUE of audio files makes a CD-DA disc, not a data disc. The two are totally different.

I understand that. There's what's known as an mp3 data disc where they are stored as plain mp3 files like any other data file, and then there's an mp3 audio disc that will initialize itself when inserted into a CD player and then play as audio files after the disc is finalized.

I assumed ImgBurn can burn mp3 files from a cue file the same was as it would with any other codec, and feed them into directshow and output the raw PCM onto the disc as audio sectors as you mentioned previous, no? Or would they not still be in mp3 format?

Yes the system32 folder is fine for DS filters.

Thanks. That's good to know since I just installed an AAC filter there.

If you don't want gaps on an mp3 disc then yes, you'll need to merge the songs that play as one long track... personally I wouldn't bother. A split second gap as it switches mp3's is worth it so you can skip tracks and have proper names for what's being played.

Wow, that's unfortunate since I really didn't want to hear what amounts to a "pop" in between those tracks. :(

I would have found it much easier to edit the old WAV/FLAC cue file using mp3 file extensions in order to try and audibly minimize the gap, than to go in and re-rip those mp3 tracks as one long audio track. I thought that the former was possible.

If not ImgBurn, would a program like Burrrn be able to do it?

Edited by GTW

No, there's no such thing as an mp3 audio disc.

It's either a data disc (which might contain mp3, ogg, wma etc) or it's a proper Audio CD.

Just because you might be converting MP3 files to the raw pcm CD-DA sectors doesn't make it an mp3 audio disc.

If you burn from a CUE file the program will convert the files to raw pcm and burn. Whatever format those files were in is now lost as there is no 'file type' on a proper Audio CD. It's just CD-DA data.

You'll only get seamless playback on a proper Audio CD.

With a data disc, it's down to the player really if it can play files without any sort of gap between them. That's just the nature of the format.

A proper Audio CD will let you store 74 / 80 mins on the CD (like a proper pressed CD you buy in the shops), a data disc will give tens of hours depending on the bitrate used in the compressed files.

No, there's no such thing as an mp3 audio disc.

It's either a data disc (which might contain mp3, ogg, wma etc) or it's a proper Audio CD.

Just because you might be converting MP3 files to the raw pcm CD-DA sectors doesn't make it an mp3 audio disc.

If you burn from a CUE file the program will convert the files to raw pcm and burn. Whatever format those files were in is now lost as there is no 'file type' on a proper Audio CD. It's just CD-DA data.

You'll only get seamless playback on a proper Audio CD.

With a data disc, it's down to the player really if it can play files without any sort of gap between them. That's just the nature of the format.

A proper Audio CD will let you store 74 / 80 mins on the CD (like a proper pressed CD you buy in the shops), a data disc will give tens of hours depending on the bitrate used in the compressed files.

Ok, well it looks like I'm out of luck on that then.

~

You mentioned this earlier:

I take it this is the only way to burn an mp3 audio (data) disc through ImgBurn, correct?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.