Increased Startup Time with 2.4.4.0?

Henderson

I have been using ImgBurn for over a year without incident. I recently upgraded to v2.4.4.0 and am experiencing this tortuous, protracted startup of the utility. It's taking around 120 seconds to startup (5x - 6x that of past version) and when I ask it to search my folder for an .mds/.iso file it takes over a minute (again, 5x - 6x of previous version), tossing up a corrupted graphic in the interim. As before, I scan all my DVDs before writing them to my HDD with AnyDVD v6.5.4.4. As before, I'm using Windows XP SP3, Intel quad-core Q6600 CPU, a pair of Pioneer DVR-216D SCSI Internal DVD/CD-ROMs and as before, nothing but Verbatim DVD+R DL blanks. I've included my full (and unaltered) gear signature below.

In ImgBurn's defense, my completed DVDs emerge as always with unparalleled perfection. The time lag however is an absolute killer. Is it possible the newest version reset something unbeknownst to me, perhaps creating process conflicts and therein my screen freeze/time-lag experience? It's worth noting that during the lags I'm unable to access Windows Task Manager. I'm curious if anyone else has gone through this dilemma upgrading to 2.4.4.0 and if so, were you able to fix it? I intentionally have not included an ImgBurn log as my problem occurs prior to any read/write/burn instructions. If anyone might benefit from seeing a log, I will gladly generate one from a fresh read/write/burn and include it. Paradoxically, ImgBurn has been so incredibly dependable and problem-free that I've given it little thought over the past year and grown unfamiliar with its nuances.

Thanks for reading.

HARDWARE:

CoolerMaster WaveMaster TAC-T01 Mid-Tower. Intel D975XBX2KR "Bad Axe 2" Mobo. Thermaltake Toughpower 750W W0117RU Power. Intel

Well, it ain't ImgBurn. I also run a quadcore 6600 and load time (including scanning for optical drives) is about 3 seconds. Unless your drive is heavily fragmented or you've got a hijacker onboard, I can't think of any reason why it would take so long to load.

I briefly read the above.

Scan your hard drives for errors use basic check eg files folders checking. Defrag also

also unplug your external usb hard drive and try (as well as checking all your external usb 2 hard drives are indeed working in that mode and have not switched to 1.1) very slow (check device manager and EHCI of usb devices look out for unknown device as well)

re download from mirror 7 and install after checkign for virus below etc

try a scan with MBAM and do a virus check with your anti virus program also check to make sure any update from your anti virus is not slowing down things

Yeah - a disconnected network drive would be my guess. There's a setting that checks across network drives - Might be General - Display Warnings - Maxmimum File Size

Regards

Shamus, dontasciime and LIGHTENING UK!, thank you for taking the time to respond.

I routinely use PerfectDisk 10 to defrag and was, by their algorithm, at 0.3% file fragmentation last night. I'm also compulsive about keeping my system free of malware, backing up my real-time MBAM and NOD32 with SAS on-call. With new software, I always save my to-be-installed executables to a root folder on my HDD and scan them before doing anything else. I downloaded 2.4.4.0 from Mirror 8 which is marked as ImgBurn's. I scanned it with NOD32 (my A/V) and SAS (SUPER AntiSpyware). I'm as close to sure as is reasonable that the executable was clean before I ran it.

dontasciime, I have a strong suspicion that you hit the nail on the head. I run Prevx 3.0, a unique antimalware utility in real-time. A moment ago I opened up Task Manager/Processes and prioritized CPU utilization. I then double clicked my ImgBurn icon and watched. It was like a fistfight between two Prevx 3.0 subroutines: ekrn.exe and prevx.exe - very odd and something I've never seen in the three years I've been on the Prevx bandwagon. Wish me luck because I just uninstalled ImgBurn and cleaned up with CCleaner. My plan is:

1. Download from Mirror 7 (dontasciime, why Mirror 7?) and save the 2.4.4.0 executable,

2. scan with NOD32 & MBAM,

3. disable NOD32, Malwarebytes and most importantly, Prevx,

4. install ImgBurn again in C:\Program Files\ImgBurn,

5. give the ImgBurn a proactive pass with Prevx by entering the above address to Prevx' "Detection Overrides" behavioral customization, and finally

6. re-enable the three antimalware utilities above in #3.

Does this sound like a legitimate plan based on what I've observed and y'all have suggested? Any other thoughts?

That's not going to help the open file dialog boxes though, they're pure Windows API.

I have found that Windows sometimes responds very slowly, if it tries to look at networked drives, too in the Open dialogue (I'm talking about wireless home networks, which can be a bit sus sometimes).

Regards

dontasciime, given that Windows Task Manager is showing a CPU Battle Royale between two of Prevx 3.0 processes when I start up ImgBurn 2.4.4.0, I'm focusing on Prevx as the problem. In reviewing your thought

try a scan with MBAM and do a virus check with your anti virus program also check to make sure any update from your anti virus is not slowing down things
I wonder if Prevx antimalware is engendering some sort of conflict. I'm out of my league here and wondering if my thought process makes any sense or is just plain silly.

BTW, my Seagate FreeAgent External Backup is an eSATA which I leave unplugged unless I'm running a backup. For some reason unbeknownst to me, it fails to play nice with my Bad Axe 2 Mobo.

Here's an alternate thought. My previous version of ImgBurn worked flawlessly. Are the old executables archived anywhere?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.