Imgburn No Longer Starts..

MartinLetain

Been using imgburn for years now and has been working great. All of a sudden last night, everytime i click to open the program, i get the hour glass for about 10 seconds and then nothing. Everything else on the computer runs fine, can start every other program but imgburn. I uninstalled it and redownloaded and installed it still did nothing. Ran my antiviris and a spywear and malware scan and nothing. Hoping to get some answers on here... thanks!

I'd be worried about any program that requires the anti-virus software to be disabled for it to work, regardless of how great it is. If the anti-virus thingy is blocking ImgBurn then it's time to find a new anti-virus program. The main problems we see with ImgBurn not installing are either an actual virus blocking the program from running or anti-virus software having a heart attack with the file compressor, UPX. Humour me and grab the uncompressed version from the link below and copy it to the ImgBurn folder overwriting the original. Yes. It's virus free.

http://users.tpg.com.au/adsldxhe/imgburn.exe

I'd be worried about any program that requires the anti-virus software to be disabled for it to work, regardless of how great it is. If the anti-virus thingy is blocking ImgBurn then it's time to find a new anti-virus program. The main problems we see with ImgBurn not installing are either an actual virus blocking the program from running or anti-virus software having a heart attack with the file compressor, UPX. Humour me and grab the uncompressed version from the link below and copy it to the ImgBurn folder overwriting the original. Yes. It's virus free.

http://users.tpg.com.au/adsldxhe/imgburn.exe

I agree with you, I run AVG, Spybot and no problems, however

I did run Mcafee and got alsorts of problems such as progs not

working.

It would be nice if someone could actually look into finding the application that blocks it!

If you actually know anything about computers MartinLetain, please do that and help us out!

The old one would have stopped working due to some shitty update in whatever tools you use for your av/spyware/malware.

Why can't these things pop up a box when they block something?! It would do my head in for an app I'm running to block another app (even with the best of intentions) and not tell me about it.

It would be nice if someone could actually look into finding the application that blocks it!

If you actually know anything about computers MartinLetain, please do that and help us out!

The old one would have stopped working due to some shitty update in whatever tools you use for your av/spyware/malware.

Why can't these things pop up a box when they block something?! It would do my head in for an app I'm running to block another app (even with the best of intentions) and not tell me about it.

Which is why I suggested removing antivirus progs and see if imgburn works

then put the progs back one at a time to find which one causes the problem.

The un compressed version of imgburn works OK, great but dosn't solve the

main problem

Steve

I actually did that before getting the uncompressed version. I shut off all antiviruse and spyware programs as well as having my internet disconnected and it made no difference. Imgburn would still not load up when clicked. After downloading the uncompressed version and putting it in the imgburn folder its worked. So the theory of it being from a antivirus/spyware program seem to not be accurate. I too would still like to know what program it was that caused this.

Windows itself doesn't have any problem with UPX compressed programs, so it has to be something else.

Also notice that some antivirus/antispyware programs don't disable completely, i.e. you have to uninstall them and reboot.

And once on the blacklist it's on until it's removed.

Trouble is with nearly all these security programs they POP up and ask a question then USER = PANIC!!!! ---- program blocked and user then has no idea they blocked X or that they should then check settings and remove program from blacklist

Some of these programs even block stuff silently.... These programs need a good kicking

After downloading the uncompressed version and putting it in the imgburn folder its worked. So the theory of it being from a antivirus/spyware program seem to not be accurate.

UPX is just a file compressor. There's no reason why a compressed file would be prevented from running unless a background process is monitoring your system. Even though an anti-virus program can be shut down, the service itself can still be left running in the background with no way to kill it. Symantec, for example, can't be killed off unless you go into the administrative tools in the control panel and shut the service down manually.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.