ImgBurn Verify Speed

fungus

I have started to use ImgBurn on a desktop running XP Pro SP3 and it works great.

My burner is an internal LG (20x claimed) that I bought a few months ago.

I can burn a 1GB ISO image to a DVD-R (TY 16x media) and it gets up to 12x by the time it is finished burning.

The verify then runs and never gets past 2 or 3x. Ho Hum, too slow for me.

Is the verify required to be slower, or am I missing a setting somewhere?

Thanks for any info,

Fungus

Many LG drives have a "feature" called Silent Play (some kind of riplock) which prevents them from reading at high speeds.... it's nice if you're playing a DVD as it's very quiet and doesn't randomly spin up to high rpm's like other drives commonly do but does have the disadvantage of being slower at ripping DVD's and, as you've described, reading them back during verify.

If you'd burnt more than 1 GB to the disc the read speed would probably have had time to build up higher than 3x (but still slower than other drives).

If this feature bothers you there are modified third party firmwares available or you can use something like MCSE to patch the original firmware yourself with only the options you want changed like the read speed limitation, just be aware that using unofficial firmware will void your warranty and I don't know how much you'd actually gain from using them.

Edited by jeff_nz

post a log...anyways

Okay, here is a log showing a fast write and a slow verify.

Average write is 10.1

Average verify is 2.7

I 21:30:30 ImgBurn Version 2.4.4.0 started!

I 21:30:30 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 3)

I 21:30:30 Total Physical Memory: 2,030,764 KB - Available: 1,380,336 KB

I 21:30:30 Initialising SPTI...

I 21:30:30 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 21:30:30 Found 1 DVD-ROM/CD-RW and 1 DVD

A very small source file in this log.

Looked at some other logs with this burner and they all seems to read discs painfully slow.

http://forum.imgburn.com/lofiversion/index.php/t9186.html

I guess there is some type of reading lock that needs to be fixed by a modified firmware. More or less what was pointed out in post #2.

Try to use MediaCodeSpeedEdit and the option with read speed increase in it.

Found this in the log for the same program.

fixed read speed patch issue with LG GGC/GGW H20x drives

http://ala42.cdfreaks.com/MCSE/

Just remember that the warranty will be gone with the wind if you flash with non original firmware.

Never had a LG burner myself, but I once tried it on a Pioneer and that option made the Pioneer slower than with that option not enabled. Might help on the LG however.

Go into verify mode and uncheck the option to compare it to a file. Then see how fast it can actually read (well, verify) the disc.

Unchecking the verify made no difference. :-(

Next I contacted LG Support and was told that LG burners work much better as the "master" on the IDE cable than as "slave", and to be sure the cable was the 80 wire version.

Okay, I made the LG be master and confirmed the cable. Result? No change. :-(

I think my options are to use it like it is as a fast burner and be happy, or to play around with firmware modifications. The second choice sounds like fun to me so I'll be researching that idea.

I'd like to know if I have ver 1.02 installed (I do), can I modify it and still update it as 1.02, or will the updater tell me that the versions are the same and refuse to update.

I do have a firmware ver. 1.03 as a zip file that I could modify and update but then there might not be a way to update back to 1.03 un-modified.

I'll let you know.

Fungus

Once again never had a LG, but on the Pioneers you can "edit" the firmware and flash the same version number as the burner already has. I guess the same should work on a LG burner.

Once again never had a LG, but on the Pioneers you can "edit" the firmware and flash the same version number as the burner already has. I guess the same should work on a LG burner.

Thanks.

I decided to have some fun and downloaded firmware 1.03, used MCSE to edit the read speed to the "faster read" setting and then flashed the drive.

It was either a flash or a flush, I held my breath.

Wow, it booted and the drive was found and available. The MCSE did help me.

The original read values as reported in ImgBurn were 2.7 ave, 3.2 max on a 600 MB file.

The after patch values, also reported by ImgBurn, are 6.1 ave, 8.4 max on the same file.

A huge difference I'd say. Good enough.

The burn numbers are 10.1 ave and 11.5 max on the same file.

I'll try a 3 or 4 GB file next to see how it acts with a fairly full disc.

Thank you everyone for the helpful advice.

Fungus

Edit: I wonder what LG has in mind when they call this a 16X read drive?

Maybe there is something I don't know.

Edited by fungus

The best way to get to know the speeds is to run a full burn + verify in the Discovery mode of the program. If you used the same image as in your post #4 it will never reach very high in the reading speeds on such a small image/burn.

You can then also use the created .ibg file to see how the speeds vary over the disc with DVDInfoPro or this freeware tool: http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=10647

:)

The best way to get to know the speeds is to run a full burn + verify in the Discovery mode of the program. If you used the same image as in your post #4 it will never reach very high in the reading speeds on such a small image/burn.

You can then also use the created .ibg file to see how the speeds vary over the disc with DVDInfoPro or this freeware tool: http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=10647

:)

Thanks for the "discovery" mode idea, I had never looked at it before.

Here is a log of the discovery mode test, the read values are: 10.7 ave, 16.1 max. YES!

I 08:35:14 ImgBurn Version 2.4.4.0 started!

I 08:35:14 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 3)

I 08:35:14 Total Physical Memory: 2,030,764 KB - Available: 1,282,856 KB

I 08:35:14 Initialising SPTI...

I 08:35:14 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 08:35:15 Found 1 DVD-ROM/CD-RW and 1 DVD

post-23279-1246114417_thumb.png

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.