Can't change book type "no additional sense information"

jpena323

Hi. About a month and half ago my old ativa external usb dvd drive stopped working on me.. so i went to office depot and bought what I thought to be the exact one again.

We'll it's not working like it used to. I have no problem burning disks, but I want to burn as a DVD-ROM book type. I used to choose the Lite-On Tab and proceed with changing to the DVD-ROM book type and burning my dual layer dvd's. Unfortunately, however... now when I Try to do the same thing, It reads "Failed! Reason: No Additional Sense Information" ...whats weird about this is under the Change For: section it says for "Current MEdia (For DVD+RW Media) although the dvd type in the hard drive is DVD+R DL media. I don't know how to fix this.

I've tried all different types of burners and media types and get the same error message.

Granted, I'm using Memorex discs instead of the highly recommended verbatim, but I used to use the same and it worked great. I'm going to buy some verbatim discs today, but if that isn't the problem what do you guys suggest?

I really dont want to dish out the cash for a new dvd burner.. especially this one works great for all other applications.

One red flag I see is that the current driver config is showing up for "ATAPI DVD A DH-3H20A QA71 (USB)" and I know for fact that this model is an ativa model: DX-3H20 A05C for which there is no drivers available.

I dont if the old driver is interferring with the new dvd burner or what but any help would be greatly greatly greatly appreciated!!!

THanks!!!!

Edited by jpena323

Have you tried the Drive (For DVD+R DL Media) option of the Lite-On tab?

Anyway, I think that drive booktypes +R DL media to DVD-ROM automatically (at least it should :unsure: ).

Wow... thats for your quick responses... you are being a wonderful help!!

how do i flash it? seems like it's over my head =P

When I try to run the YY11 file I get an error stating along the lines of "No Matched Drive Detected"

Under label it reads: DVD_ROM ...does that infer that the dvd drive writes in dvd rom booktype already like you suggest? If so this would be a great help and I wouldn't have to waste money on a new dvd burner.

I've have tried the Drive (For DVD+R DL Media) option of the Lite-On tab with no luck. This is how I used to run it, but when I replaced the drive with one I thought to be exact, I'm having no luck..

With ImgBurn in Write mode, insert a DVD+R DL disc burned with the new burner and look at the Book Type under Physical Information (Last Recorded): :thumbup:

it showed up as DVD+R DL

check it:

Physical Format Information (Last Recorded):

Disc ID: RITEK-S04-66

Book Type: DVD+R DL

Part Version: 1

Disc Size: 120mm

Maximum Read Rate: Not Specified

Number of Layers: 2

Track Path: Opposite Track Path (OTP)

Linear Density: 0.293 um/bit

Track Density: 0.74 um/track

First Physical Sector of Data Area: 196,608

Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 16,580,575

Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 2,110,367

...does this mean it did not burn as a dvd-rom?

Get the Flash Utility from here - http://codeguys.rpc1.org/utilities.html

Load it, select your drive (if not already selected), click the 'Read Flash' button and pick a name for the backup of your original firmware.

Once it's finished backing up your original firmware (status will say 'FLASH image file saved'), hit the 'Write Flash' button, click Yes to proceed, point it to the YY11.exe file and click Yes to proceed again.

• 4 weeks later...
Get the Flash Utility from here - http://codeguys.rpc1.org/utilities.html

Load it, select your drive (if not already selected), click the 'Read Flash' button and pick a name for the backup of your original firmware.

Once it's finished backing up your original firmware (status will say 'FLASH image file saved'), hit the 'Write Flash' button, click Yes to proceed, point it to the YY11.exe file and click Yes to proceed again.

i have an ativa DH-3H20A (which is apparently a LiteOn DH-3H20A). it currently has YX13 firmware. when i attempt to upgrade to the YY11 firmware, i run into problems.

1) running YY11.exe says "no matched drive detected".

2) ltnfw.exe ("Flash Tool for LiteON-made Drives v1.0.0") won't let me select the yy11.exe. if i type that filename in manually, it says it's updating the firmware, but the progress bar goes to 98% and it just sits there for a LONG TIME. finally power cycled the computer, and things were as before.

3) flash_utility.exe ("Flash Utility for LiteOn Based Optical Drives v3.0.3") says (when given yy11.exe) "the firmware was not found in the specified file! make sure the file is not compressed."

any ideas?

3) flash_utility.exe ("Flash Utility for LiteOn Based Optical Drives v3.0.3") says (when given yy11.exe) "the firmware was not found in the specified file! make sure the file is not compressed."

Use one of the ones from here instead then - http://codeguys.rpc1.org/firmwares.html

Once the real liteon firmware is installed you should be able to update to the latest one from the LiteOn website.

Use one of the ones from here instead then - http://codeguys.rpc1.org/firmwares.html

Once the real liteon firmware is installed you should be able to update to the latest one from the LiteOn website.

using YP5W then YY11 did the trick. thanks!

LiteOn DH-20A3H (Lightscribe)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.