Pioneer DVR-2910 (216D) SATA I/O errors

holyrune

I have two of these burners and they sporadically produce coasters, about 1 in 4 burns, when using imgburn, both on Verbatim, Sony or Fujitsu DVD+R DL's and/or DVD-R's media. I have tried burning both drives on fresh installs of XP SP3, Vista x86 SP2 and x64 SP2 ultimate; I have changed SATA cables, and tried different SATA ports; I've installed the latest ATI catalyst software for this GA-MA790GP-UD4H (AMD 790GX + SB750 Chipset ) motherboard and flashed the drive's firmware to 1.09; and I 've tried different I/O settings. No matter what I do, I'm still getting hit-and-miss burns. This only happens when using imgburn. I have no such problems with Alcohol, CloneDVD or Nero.

I have only 2 SATA drives (a 1TB hard drive and this burner) and the SATA settings of the BIOS is set to IDE. Here are the two logs of my latest bad burns, one from a 1X DVD-R Verbatim burn (using default SPTI I/O) and a 1X Sony Dual Layer burn (using Patin-Couffin).

1X Verbatim:

; //****************************************\\

; ImgBurn Version 2.4.4.0 - Log

; Monday, 13 July 2009, 12:38:31

; \\****************************************//

;

;

I 12:30:22 ImgBurn Version 2.4.4.0 started!

I 12:30:22 Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate x64 Edition (6.0, Build 6002 : Service Pack 2)

I 12:30:22 Total Physical Memory: 4,191,816 KB - Available: 2,506,912 KB

I 12:30:22 Initialising SPTI...

I 12:30:22 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 12:30:43 Found 1 DVD

I recall seeing on this forum Pioneer 216 burners having problems with AMD chipsets' SATA ports :unsure:

Make sure you're using the latest BIOS version for your motherboard. Change the SATA controller mode to AHCI in the BIOS and re-install the latest AMD driver from Gigabyte's site. Try a few burns on DVD-R media with Test Mode enabled before trying a proper burn.

This only happens when using imgburn. I have no such problems with Alcohol, CloneDVD or Nero.

Why use ImgBurn then > ?

When you say fresh installs... you mean using only windows drivers (standard) or windows drivers provided by AMD built in to service pack 2 or 3. XP....try SP1 and install motherboard chipset driver but not the storage driver /Ide etc.

Then if still the same after ensuring Bios is latest as mentioned above (you could also try AHCI) I would personally just leave sata set to emulate IDE mode as I only ever have the above kind of bother with AHCI and SATA opticals (but it might work for you)

I would install XP (SP1) then make a Ghost image...after ghost image is made (download as many Amd chipset drivers for your motherboard as you can find do same for storage driver for your motherboard if it is a separate driver ) then Install motherboard chipset drivers (minus) the Amd Sata/Ide driver and just use standard Ms driver for sata/ide

If no good then take your system back to just before you installed chipset driver BY putting the ghost image back in and try a different version motherboard chipset driver hopefully you will find a revision of the drivers to work. Assuming the disc's are genuine the sata cables are not damaged at right angle etc..

Still no good change your motherboard, buy a sata to usb kit. buy a Jou-Jye ST-2512SUES 5.25" External Aluminum Box, SATA to e-SATA/USB 2.0 and stick pioneer in external

Stick SPTI back on as I/O as well as choosing a correct (supported) speed for burning. You would be better choosing 8x and up with modern disc's and the writer you have

I 12:36:54 Destination Media Type: DVD-R (Disc ID: MCC 03RG20) (Speeds: 4x, 6x, 8x, 12x, 16x, 20x)

I 14:06:39 Destination Media Type: DVD+R DL (Disc ID: RITEK-D01-01) (Speeds: 2.4x)

This only happens when using imgburn. I have no such problems with Alcohol, CloneDVD or Nero.

Why use ImgBurn then > ?

I use imgburn only for dual layer .dvd images. Otherwise I avoid imgburn entirely and use Alcohol (hundreds of burns w/out a coaster). I used to use imgburn exclusively w/ an older Pioneer burner before it died out. I've been trying to find any alternative to burning .dvd images. Also, as for the clean install, that's installing imgburn with NO other programs and just the fresh IDE/SATA raid drivers. I've been trying to nail the problem to no avail. (I have multi-boot and all the OS images are backed up, so this isn't as cumbersome as it seems.)

Anyway, thanks to both replies, but all the suggestions have been tried. Latest BIOS, latest firmware, AMD IDE/SATA drivers from gigabyte, catalyst drivers from ATI, ACHI, etc. Everytime I get a good burn and think I've solved it, another coaster will occur.

The only alternative left is to either get a USB enclosure or use a PCI SATA card. As I have no PCI slots remaining, and the cost of a new burner would be the same as making it external, I'd just as soon purchase an PATA/IDE burner, and be done with it. Thanks anyway.

Don't use raid drivers... TBH how you have not seen the same issues with the other burning programs is maybe a fluke* . Your Pioneer might be broken like one of my pioneer 109's when it randomly started to produce errors where there was no way of saying what was actually causing it.

Don't use ATI driver for sata or raid use standard dual channel pci ide controller(with SATA in bios set to IDE mode (not AUTO). Borrow another SATA drive PIO or different make to see if yours is faulty ( I asume you have tried it on all 6 sata ports). Unless you are using RW you have no way of knowing whether the disc's you had success with in ALC or any other program would have also not been successful in ImgBurn and also the opposite how do you know the ones in ImgBurn failed would not have also failed in Alc or clone etc.

*Try Incremental in ImgBurn write settings

Alcohol has a VERY low level driver (SPTD) and so can probably dodge a lot of higher level problems (along with causing its own). If CloneDVD (the Elaborate Bytes version) works though, ImgBurn should do too if you set the I/O Interface to ElbyCDIO.

ImgBurn relies on decent error data from your drive/drivers. The 'No Additional Sense Information' ones are just bogus and you can blame that on the Patin-Couffin driver.

The 'Invalid Address For Write' error in your first log typically comes after something else (i.e. a 'Write Error') but that message (or anything like it) seems to have gone AWOL on your setup.

Don't use raid drivers... TBH how you have not seen the same issues with the other burning programs is maybe a fluke* . Your Pioneer might be broken like one of my pioneer 109's when it randomly started to produce errors where there was no way of saying what was actually causing it.

Don't use ATI driver for sata or raid use standard dual channel pci ide controller(with SATA in bios set to IDE mode (not AUTO). Borrow another SATA drive PIO or different make to see if yours is faulty ( I asume you have tried it on all 6 sata ports). Unless you are using RW you have no way of knowing whether the disc's you had success with in ALC or any other program would have also not been successful in ImgBurn and also the opposite how do you know the ones in ImgBurn failed would not have also failed in Alc or clone etc.

*Try Incremental in ImgBurn write settings

I can only TEST or do multiple burns using DVD-R. The first log is of a test of a music dvd. Imgburn fails, Nero w/ verify passes, and Alcohol w/ verify passes.

As for dual layer DVD's or .dvd images, I can't do such tests, so I just burn outright. Like I wrote, I get about 1 in 4 coasters.

mmalves is probably right and this drive is finicky with AMD. I have two of these drives on separate AMD computers, and have the same problems. Prior to that I had an Intel Dual Core + Pioneer IDE and never had such a problem. That burner died, and I sold the Intel about a year ago.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.