Medium Not Present when trying to burn

Gabe

IMGBurn stopped letting me burn after I upgraded to 2.4.4.0.

It won't let me burn on either of two drives. One is a LITE-ON DVDRW SHM-165H6S HP16. The other's a TSSTcorpCDRWDVD TS-H492C DE02.

I tried downgrading to 2.4.2.0 and it still won't burn.

Now also Roxio stopped working.

The strange thing is that I can still burn cd's using Feurio.

The log generated from trying to burn in 2.4.2.0 gives me this:

I 19:19:08 ImgBurn Version 2.4.2.0 started!

I 19:19:08 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 2)

I 19:19:08 Total Physical Memory: 3,013,100 KB - Available: 2,558,196 KB

I 19:19:08 Initialising SPTI...

I 19:19:08 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 19:19:08 Found 1 DVD-ROM/CD-RW and 1 DVD

Hi and welcome to the forum, Gabe! :)

Tried to delete the burners in Windows Device Manager and then restart Windows - so that they are reinstalled?

There is also a later firmware for the Lite-On burner.

http://www.firmwarehq.com/Lite-On/SHM-165H6S/files.html

Also - can you post your installed filters?

Main Menu -> Tools -> Filter Driver Load Order (use the copy to clipboard and then just past the info into a posting window here)

Also use 2.4.4.0 - it's the one that is supported.

The messages shown in the status bar come directly from the selected drive, so if it says "Device Not Ready (Medium Not Present)" then the drive thinks there's no disc inside, and this is a hardware problem. Have you tried a lens cleaning disc on your drives?

Hi Cynthia,

First off, thank you so much for paying attention to this.

I uninstalled 2.4.2.0 and re-installed 2.4.4.0.

I had already deleted the burners and re-booted but I tried it again and it still has not worked.

The firmware upgrade link you note is not for my dvdrw. That's for the SHM-165H6S, not the SHM-165H6S HP16.

I downloaded and installed the latest firmware for the SHM-165H6S HP16, which is at

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwar...product=1118243

That also didn't help.

When I look at the Filter Driver Load Order, this is what it shows:

===============================================

Filter Driver Load Order - ImgBurn v2.4.4.0

Upper Device Filter: redbook

Upper Class Filter: [None Found]

Device: CD/DVD-ROM Device

Lower Class Filter: PxHelp20

Lower Device Filter: imapi

Filter Name: redbook

File Name: C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\redbook.sys

File Version: 5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)

File Description: Redbook Audio Filter Driver

Product Name: Microsoft

Edited by Gabe

Thank you, mmalves.

Isn't it strange that the "hardware problem" started literally 10 minutes after installing 2.4.4.0 and that this problem is limited to writing dvd's, but does not affect writing cd's or reading cd's or dvd's?

I can read and write cd's and read dvd's but I can't write dvd's. There's something about that that's very specific.

If we can figure out what's causing this, I'm sure the MPAA would market it! :rolleyes:

All kidding aside, I have not tried a lens cleaning disc. Do you think it would help?

The messages shown in the status bar come directly from the selected drive, so if it says "Device Not Ready (Medium Not Present)" then the drive thinks there's no disc inside, and this is a hardware problem. Have you tried a lens cleaning disc on your drives?

It would help as it would rule out dirty lens as the problem. If it doesn't solve the problem then I think it's time for a new burner, which, fortunately, is pretty cheap these days :thumbup:

Hi mmalves,

This would be not one new burner but two.

You don't think it's unlikely that the lenses on both of these burners got dirty at the same time?

I may not end up having any choice other than to try installing a new burner though, and see what happens.

My gut feel is that with as many new burners as I want to throw at it, it would still happen.

It would help as it would rule out dirty lens as the problem. If it doesn't solve the problem then I think it's time for a new burner, which, fortunately, is pretty cheap these days :thumbup:
Edited by Gabe

Hi Cynthia,

I've tried three brands of disks.

Interesting that there are some sites on the net that point to PxHelp.sys as a possible cause.

There's also a recently updated Microsoft support article at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060/EN-US/ that suggests deleting both the upper and lower filters and then deleting the drives.

What do you think?

You have another brand of discs you could try with?

the Sonic PXHelp20

I think it's Roxio that installs it. Usually a harmless one.

Edited by Gabe

I doubt it's the filters.

You have another computer to put that tricky DVD writer in? That would for sure pinpoint if the burner is the problem or not.

I guess the ImgBurn author will give you the final verdict when he reads this thread. I'm just out of ideas right now. :(

I've nothing to add really.

Ignoring the Samsung burner for now (because it can't burn DVD's full stop), let's concentrate on the Liteon drive.

Try the drive in another pc or another drive in yours.

You could give safemode a shot too.

It reads original/pressed DVDs and ones you've burnt in the past still yeah, so the issue is with purely with blanks. Have you tried some different discs... and by that I mean some with a different dye. You cannot and should not go by the 'brand' name. 3 different brand names might all be using the exact same dye.

Personally I wouldn't waste too much more time on it. It's an old liteon now anyway (with HP firmware to boot) so you'd be better off buying a new one anyway.

You added plenty. Thank you.

I'm not sure how to tell the difference in dye on blank dvds but I've tried Verbatim, TDK and Gigaware blanks.

I followed your advice and restarted in Safe Mode, started up ImgBurn, inserted a blank dvd into the Lite-On, and then ImgBurn either tells me "Disc Not Empty" or "Device Not Ready (Logical Unit is in process of becoming ready).

Interestingly, if I pop out the blank dvd and insert a blank cd, ImgBurn recognizes it fine, as does all other software (even though, of course, they won't burn a dvd to a cd).

I don't know how the hardware and software interact in accessing optical media but this tells me that some component of that interaction is being incalcitrant by allowing reads and writes of cds and only reads of dvds, but not writes.

It's as if some piece that collaborates in that process won't allow blank dvds and has figured out how to prevent me from backing up a dvd.

There are a number of threads on the net with a similar issue but with no answer other than to try removing pxhelp20.sys. I tried this and the Filter Driver Load Order now says

Filter Driver Load Order - ImgBurn v2.4.4.0

Upper Device Filter: redbook

Upper Class Filter: [None Found]

Device: CD/DVD-ROM Device

Lower Class Filter: [None Found]

Lower Device Filter: imapi

Filter Name: redbook

File Name: C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\redbook.sys

File Version: 5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)

File Description: Redbook Audio Filter Driver

Product Name: Microsoft

LIGHTNING UK!, your name is Patience!

The disc info panel on the right gives me the following:

=======================================================

LITE-ON DVDRW SHM-165H6S HP16 (ATA)

Current Profile: DVD-ROM

Disc Information:

Erasable: No

Sessions: 1

Sectors: 2,298,496

Size: 4,707,319,808 bytes

Time: 510:48:46 (MM:SS:FF)

TOC Information:

Session 1... (LBA: 0)

-> Track 01 (Mode 1, LBA: 0 - 2298495)

-> LeadOut (LBA: 2298496)

Physical Format Information (Last Recorded):

Disc ID: 0@P-!-00

Book Type: DVD-R

Part Version: 5

Disc Size: 120mm

Maximum Read Rate: Not Specified

Number of Layers: 1

Track Path: Parallel Track Path (PTP)

Linear Density: 0.267 um/bit

Track Density: 0.74 um/track

First Physical Sector of Data Area: 196,608

Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 2,495,103

Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 0

=======================================================

now mind you that it will only do so when I boot in Safe mode, not in normal mode.

Ah well 'Disc Not Empty' means the drive can at least semi recognise the disc.

When you do get to that stage/state with a blank in the drive, copy + paste everything from the disc info panel on the right.

I am not capable of replacing hardware but I will manage to get the pc to someone who can, and when I do, I'll report back.

If you know how to use a screwdriver it shouldn't be any issues to replace it yourself. :)

Thank you for the vote of confidence Cynthia, but if it is in fact something other than faulty drives (which just makes sense to me), then I will use that as a last resort.

If I do resort to a drive replacement or two, I might even be able to post my results from the hospital bed after electrocuting myself and burning the house down :teehee:

Seriously though, I'm hoping that the information on the disc info panel or some other diagnostic information can shed some light on this.

My intuition tells me that it's some driver/registry conflict.

I also wonder if uninstalling Symantec Systemworks might work.

I am not capable of replacing hardware but I will manage to get the pc to someone who can, and when I do, I'll report back.

If you know how to use a screwdriver it shouldn't be any issues to replace it yourself. :)

LIGHTNING UK!,

I will buy a bigger flash drive to copy the exact same ISO file and try writing to the exact same blank DVD-R disc in another machine after I get home from work tonight and take care of everyone waiting for dinner.

I will report back.

THANK YOU![

Are you sure that's a blank disc? Everything about that disc info says otherwise!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.