An observation on the slipstreaming guide

jeff_nz

Hi Lightning UK!

I wasn't sure whether to mention this or not since I guess the guide is more about the process than anything else, but I noticed from the screenshots you're using Vista to slipstream an XP CD, which can cause issues in certain circumstances.

More specifically using Vista to slipstream SP3 into a VLK version of XP (as demonstrated in the guide) produces a disc that won't work properly (KB950722).

I don't know how many people this might effect, since I imagine most wanting to slipstream SP3 will be running XP anyway(?), or if you wish to add a note to the guide but thought I'd point it out in case you should ever get any support requests in the future.

Thanks for the info jeff_nz.

As you rightly mentioned, the guide is just about the process (and more the ImgBurn part than the actual slipstreaming) but I will mention the KB article you pointed out.

I haven't ever had a need to slipstream vista (we only use XP at work) but I will be doing another guide for burning a Vista/Windows 7 OS installation discs so I'll look into it when I do that.

slipstreaming service packs into Vista isn't officially supported.

"Officially"? I don't personally give a monkeys about official. I'd just like to save some disk shuffling (etc) with Vista w/SP1 and stand alone (KB) SP2 installation. Thanks anyway!

Edited by wazak

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.