400 minidv taples onto 400 dvds...

lindbergmtl

Hi

I have to transfer 400 minidv tapes into 400 DVDs, in mpeg-2 format. I was recommended to use imburn. I did one burn which plays back great on my PC DVD player , but cannot be read on a standalone DVD player (connected to TV). Can anyone tell me how to make a DVD playable and usable for both?

thanks

I was told to lower the speed to x8 or x6, that is what I am trying now.

I 23:46:47 ImgBurn Version 2.5.0.0 started!

I 23:46:47 Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition (6.0, Build 6001 : Service Pack 1)

I 23:46:47 Total Physical Memory: 1,037,632 KB - Available: 140,596 KB

I 23:46:47 Initialising SPTI...

I 23:46:47 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 23:46:48 Found 2 DVD

I 23:50:38 Contents: 1 File, 0 Folders

Looks as it's some type of .avi/divx file. Can your stand alone player play such files or must it be in DVD Movie format (a VIDEO_TS folder with .ifo/.bup/.vob files)?

If not - you need to convert that file into DVD Movie format with a program such as DVD Flick.

400 minidv

In what format you transfered to your hard drive?

What program you used and setings?

I usualy transfer them to hard drive through FireWire using Pinnacle Studio in AVI DV format (~13 GB/h), edit them and compile to DVD stucture in VIDEO_TS folder and then verify to work correctly from hard drive, just then using ImgBurn in Build Mode to write the final DVD and always work...

Sure you can use any program you want to tranfer them and maybe edit, but the final structure to be burned on DVD must be DVD VIDEO structure, ImgBurn does not convert them if you have saved them something to .avi or .mpg

400 minidv

mpgeg-2 (from a one hour miniDV tape), through firewire.

Roxio, mpeg-2 720-480, 29.7 fps, roxio mpeg-1 audio encoder, stereo, 48 khz, 16 bit, 22400 kbps.

I usualy transfer them to hard drive through FireWire using Pinnacle Studio in AVI DV format (~13 GB/h),

My files are coming from 1-hour long unedited miniDVs, that is why I am transfering them in mpeg-2, they are easier to handle.

edit them and compile to DVD stucture in VIDEO_TS folder and then verify to work correctly from hard drive,

just then using ImgBurn in Build Mode to write the final DVD and always work...

Sure you can use any program you want to tranfer them and maybe edit, but the final structure to be burned on DVD must be DVD VIDEO structure, ImgBurn does not convert them if you have saved them something to .avi or .mpg

How do build a structure? Do I need to go through that, I dont perform any type of editing?

thanks

400 minidv

mpgeg-2 (from a one hour miniDV tape), through firewire.

Roxio, mpeg-2 720-480, 29.7 fps, roxio mpeg-1 audio encoder, stereo, 48 khz, 16 bit, 22400 kbps.

I usualy transfer them to hard drive through FireWire using Pinnacle Studio in AVI DV format (~13 GB/h),

My files are coming from 1-hour long unedited miniDVs, that is why I am transfering them in mpeg-2, they are easier to handle.

edit them and compile to DVD stucture in VIDEO_TS folder and then verify to work correctly from hard drive,

just then using ImgBurn in Build Mode to write the final DVD and always work...

How do build a structure? Do I need to go through that, I dont perform any type of editing?

thanks

Hey, you know what, since my client doesn't require the files to be transfered in AVI, I should look into buying myself a DVD recorder and transfer the minidv tapes straight from the camera to the recorder, what da ya think?

I just need to know that the DVD recipients will be able to take the mpeg-2 files from the disks and transfer them on their hardrive for some editing needs, if they want to.

I am really at a lost again!

My client wants mpeg-2 DVDs that both play on a computer DVD player and on stand alone DVD player. Does this seem possible, realistic?

I first thought it was because I read somewhere that all DVDs are using mpeg-2. but that is false right?

The reason the client wants mpeg-2 DVDs is that their DVD users may want to play with the footage on some software and it supports mpeg-2.

Should I simply tell the client that I can only safely provide mpeg-2 DVDs readable for the computer DVDs and forget the standalone DVDs which have different ages and abilities?

I'll begin by saying this has nothing to do with ImgBurn as such, ImgBurn is a burning program not an authoring program, and you should already have the files in the correct format for burning beforehand. With that in mind I'll try to answer some of your questions although they would be best directed to a video forum and not here.

My client wants mpeg-2 DVDs that both play on a computer DVD player and on stand alone DVD player. Does this seem possible, realistic?

Yes, entirely.

I first thought it was because I read somewhere that all DVDs are using mpeg-2. but that is false right?

It is correct, the video on a DVD is in mpeg-2 format but the files have a .vob extension not .mpg, and a set of information files (.ifo's) are also required by the dvd player, so you need to use a DVD authoring program to prepare your mpeg-2 files.

Should I simply tell the client that I can only safely provide mpeg-2 DVDs readable for the computer DVDs and forget the standalone DVDs which have different ages and abilities?

No, if your clients software can play mpeg-2 files then they can play DVD Video files, you just need to author them correctly first (sorry for repeating myself), and then they can also be played in a standalone player.

Some authoring programs may accept mpg files but most require elementary streams (separate video and audio files) as input. Perhaps Roxio can be set to output elementary streams instead(?), otherwise demux the video and audio from your mpg file and use an authoring program ( for example MuxMan which is free) to create your dvd files. Then you can use ImgBurn following this guide to burn a dvd.

Hey, you know what, since my client doesn't require the files to be transfered in AVI, I should look into buying myself a DVD recorder and transfer the minidv tapes straight from the camera to the recorder, what da ya think?

If you have 400 tapes then it will almost certainly be faster (realtime) and, depending on the DVD Recorder, possibly a better quality conversion than whatever software codec is built-in to Roxio. The choice is yours whether that justifies the expenditure (do check it has a dv input though). :)

Edited by jeff_nz

I rather do something like this... It's a long process and require a decent computer rather fast to do the conversion...

So...

Transfer your digital footage through FireWire using DVIO... http://www.carr-engineering.com/dvio.htm

The simplest way to transfer information from MiniDV camera without transcoding in any format.

It will save 1 hour of footage in a AVI DV type container ~ 13 GB.

Than use DVDFlick or any other convertion program to do the final DVD structure

After that ImgBurn will do his job to burn those files to DVD.

I hope you will manage to do this task and be happy not spending money on a DVD Recorder.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.