Failing verification on Verbatim DVD+R DL 8x

HypnoToad

Okay I'm a bit perplexed!

I've been using Verbatim DVD+R DL (MKM-001-000 and MKM-003-000) media for years without a problem, then suddenly I can't burn and verify single disc! So far I've done 10 coasters in a row.

I've tried it in 4 different LiteOn (DH-20A4H, LH-20A1P, SHW-1635S) drive models, three in one XP machine, and one in another XP machine and a Plextor drive (PX-755A) in a third Vista computer. All drives were using the latest firmware. In each case all burns failed to on verify layer 1 files and had uncorrectable read errors.

I even bought a second pack of Verbatim discs from a different source on the off chance that the discs were faulty, but the same thing happened again.

Any ideas?

ImgBurn.log

ATAPI_DVD_A_DH20A4H_QP5B_03_AUGUST_2009_09_50_MKM_003_00_MAX.ibg

Do you get the same type of verification error when you burn with the other burners/computers?

W 10:17:42 Miscompare at LBA: 1969429, Offset: 1106, File: \Data\Video\Hazard Perception\Practice\Bristol 26.wmv

W 10:17:42 Device: 0x09

W 10:17:42 Image File: 0x5F

W 10:17:42 Total Errors in Sector: 9

In most cases when there is a miscompare error it's either bad cable or bad RAM.

There is this Windows Memory Diagnostic tool from Microsoft.

http://forums.whatthetech.com/How_Test_Mem...ms_t103823.html

post-20-1249300715_thumb.png

Do you get the same type of verification error when you burn with the other burners/computers?

Yes exactly the same error across all burner/computer combinations.

Occasionally the first file with the error is different, but in all cases the error occurs on layer 1 and raise the L-EC Uncorrectable Error.

Is that a "normal" hard disk or an external unit?

Any "in the background decrypting" running programs?

The DVD drives are all EIDE bar one SATA LiteOn drive. The HDD (E:\) is an internal three drive RAID 5 array connected to a Netcell RAID CPU (full CPU offload).

There is no virtual drive/background decrypting programs running.

Edited by HypnoToad

then suddenly I can't burn and verify single disc!

Did you have the source stuff from E:\ when you burn also before your issues started?

The memory check gave no errors?

Yes all the data was from E: prior to the problems burning (and had been for many years). I should mention that Taiyo Yuden CD (97m24s01f) and Verbatim DVD+R SL 16x (YUDEN000-T03-00) still all burn fine.

I bought another pack for verbatim DVD+R DL 8x in the hope I had just struck a bad batch, but these produce the same fault as well. The original pack was coated ink jet printable, the 2nd pack is not, also the number stamped into the inner plastic ring is different, so I assume they are from different batches.

I've just tried burning it with a Pioneer DVR-110D drive (with a new cable and the only drive on the cable) and got a successful burn (at 2.4x due to older firmware) - logs attached. The only other thing I did differently was to snooze the Windows Search 4.0 indexer. I'll do some more testing later, but for now I'm not touching a damn thing!

Cheers.

ImgBurn__Pioneer_DVR_110D_.log

PIONEER_DVD_RW_DVR_110D_1.08_05_AUGUST_2009_09_40_MKM_003_00_MAX.ibg

Edited by HypnoToad

Updated firmware on the Pioneer DVR-110D to the latest (1.41), then tried a burn at 8x. Got the same error (logs attached) as I was seeing before on the LiteOn drives.

Trying a burn now at 2.4x again as this appears to be the only thing that has worked thus far.

ImgBurn__Pioneer_DVR_110D_.log

PIONEER_DVD_RW_DVR_110D_1.41_05_AUGUST_2009_17_16_MKM_003_00_MAX.ibg

• 3 weeks later...

Ok... I got a third pack of Verbatim DVD+R DL 8x (Dye: MKM-003-00, Verbatim#: 43667), but I'm still running into problems.

The first disc I had out of the pack burnt and verified OK (log/graph attached), but then I did a quality check on the disc and I got the following:

post-12777-1250865424_thumb.png

Then the next disc I tried was a coaster.

I'm really stuck here! any ideas or suggestions of what to try next?

If I was to try someone else's media what is my best non-Verbatim option?

Thanks.

David

ATAPI_DVD_A_DH20A4H_QP5B_21_AUGUST_2009_10_42_MKM_003_00_MAX.ibg

ImgBurn.log

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.