LG GH10L bitsetting options with +RW media

troy512

can one bitset dvd+rw media to dvd-r using a LG GH10L drive?

is this possible, i thought only bitsetting to dvd-rom was available with rare unsupported occurrences of bitsetting to dvd-r?

fully understanding that the wrong tab is selected, but should the options not be available? would selecting the option to perform the -r bitset using the benq setting actually work?

i can not test this as this is not my drive or screen shot. but one from another user which has presented me with the question.

post-9674-1249536247_thumb.jpg

Edited by troy512

ImgBurn doesn't disable/gray out the options because it is assumed that the users know what they're doing. Besides, if the wrong command is used the drive responds with Invalid Command Operation Code or similar error.

As for the BenQ burners I'm not sure if they're capable of bootyping to another type of media, but if ImgBurn offers the options it's because the original BenQ bootype tool also offered them.

ImgBurn doesn't disable/gray out the options because it is assumed that the users know what they're doing. Besides, if the wrong command is used the drive responds with Invalid Command Operation Code or similar error.

As for the BenQ burners I'm not sure if they're capable of bootyping to another type of media, but if ImgBurn offers the options it's because the original BenQ bootype tool also offered them.

ive reviewed the BenQ FAQ for Booktype Management Tool. i saw no mentioning of bitsetting -r. the faq only mentions bitsetting dvd-rom.

Go ahead with the change and see what happens....

...I think you'll find an error message.

thanks both for the confirmation of errors during burn if trying to perform the -r bitsetting. i can not test this as this is not my drive or screen shot. but one from another user which has presented me with the question. so i was just wanting to get some solid answers before going to suggest this to the user whom presented this to me. i had fully assumed it would error out or imgburn would give some kind of warning, just wanted to be prepared with a good response there after.

thanks

okay i went ahead and used a +rw disc in my BenQ 1640, you know what it works, do the other drives offer this feature, is this exclusive to BenQ?

BENQ DVD DD EW164B BEFB (ATA)
Current Profile: DVD+RW

Disc Information:
Erasable: Yes
Formatted: Yes

Physical Format Information (Last Recorded):
Disc ID: OPTODISC-OP4-01
Book Type: DVD-R

Nero CD-DVD Speed: Disc Info
Basic Information
Disc type:	   : DVD+RW
Book Type		: DVD-R
Manufacturer:	: Optodisc
MID			  : OPTODISC OP4 001 (01h)
Write speeds:	: 2.4 X - 4 X
Blank Capacity   : n/a
Extended Information
Layers		   : 1
Write strategies : n/a
Disc Status	  : Closed
Raw Data
Physical Format Information (00h)
0000 - 25 0F 04 00 00 03 00 00 00 26 05 3F 00 00 00 00 - %........&.?....
0010 - 00 00 00 4F 50 54 4F 44 49 53 43 4F 50 34 01 39 - ...OPTODISCOP4.9
0020 - 23 00 9C 7C 64 02 28 00 96 7E 74 02 28 00 9C 7B - #..|d.(..~t.(..{
0030 - 70 02 28 04 04 10 F0 00 F0 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 - p.(.............

Media Information							
Region information									N/A not a DVD-VIDEO
Media code/Manufacturer ID									OPTODISCOP4
Media Product Revision Number										 01h
UDF Format Type													 V1.02
UDF Volume												   autodvdfabv1
UDF Application id									  *ImgBurn v2.5.0.0
UDF Implementation id											 ImgBurn
UDF Recording Date/Time (mm/dd/yyyy)				  08/06/2009 10:37:06
Format Capacity											4.38GB(4.70GB)
Book Type														   DVD-R
Media Type														 DVD+RW

Edited by troy512

Booktyping/bitsetting is typically used for making standalone DVD players who prefer -R media and commercially pressed DVD's. Bitsetting tricks the drive in to thinking it is reading a commercial DVD by recording a bit of information on a part of the disc that only "+" media has.

Booktyping/bitsetting is typically used for making standalone DVD players who prefer -R media and commercially pressed DVD's. Bitsetting tricks the drive in to thinking it is reading a commercial DVD by recording a bit of information on a part of the disc that only "+" media has.

thank you for your reply. i am fully aware of the history of bitsetting, ive done the research, i do know how to use google you know. just making fun. :thumbup:

now ive never tried actually using imgBurns or Benqs booktype utilities. i use modified firmware from others or by using MCSE and have imgburn set to automatically booktype when available. this has always worked for +r media bitsetting the first four bits of the booktype field with 0000, thus my +r disc would read physical format of +r but booktype DVD-ROM. i am fully aware of the bitsetting to achieve the desired booktype, 0001 DVD-RAM, 0010 DVD-R or DVD-R DL, 0011 DVD-RW, 1001 DVD+RW, 1010 DVD+R, 1101 DVD+RW DL and 1110 DVD+R DL. remember i said i know how to use google. :rolleyes:

being fully aware of the bitsetting options, i was not aware any drive actually supported bitsetting other than DVD-ROM, with the exception of changing dvd+rw to dvd-rom and back to dvd+rw. thus i was very surprised when i was presented with the screen shot of BenQ booktype settings having many options.

to me the option of using a BenQ drive to bitset +r/+rw media to -r is a gimmick, the disc was only readable by the BenQ drive. however when the booktype of the +rw was changed back to +rw or changed to +r my other drives did properly recognize the disc and read the data ImgBurn had written. there is no mention of the -r option in the BenQ BookType Management Tool FAQ sheet, nor any mention of -r bitsetting on the DVD+RW alliance or DVDplusRW web sites.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.