a bunch of errors with two drives on one PC

max cherry

hello to everybody!

first of all, forgive me my bad english - i'm not a native speaker and, alas, lazy learner

well, i have two drives on my PC, Pioneer-116D and ASUS-2014S1T. i use only Verbatim disks and i burn only DVD-5.

there was about four month of normal work with ImgBurn (2.4.2.0.). but now i get an error after error.

with Pioneer it's usually "buggy sense area detected".

with ASUS - you can choose. recently, ImgBurn completes burning process (but i see that at some point write speed have dropped to zero) but gives me an error during verifying. i take a look at DVD and i see that some area was kind of unburned or smth. next time i get me an error during burning - at 12% of process (usually all errors happens when about 12-15% of disk is burned). here i post some logs and images and i hope someone will help me - because this situation is killing me...

thanks to everybody!

post-26104-1249724398_thumb.jpg

4.log

post-26104-1249724203_thumb.jpg

post-26104-1249724481_thumb.jpg

5.log

post-26104-1249724220_thumb.jpg

6.log

The controller where your Pioneer burner is connected to is messing with the communication to the drive. Look for updated drivers for this controller.

As for the Asus burner, try a lens cleaning disc on it. Also try burning at 12x to see if you get a better burn.

thank you, mmalves!

I'm not especially good with computers. Pioneer is IDE-drive. So, do i have to look for updated drivers for IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers or for SCSI and RAIS controllers (in my case it's Marvell 61xx RAID controller)? Actually, thru this forum i 've found the link to updates for asus/marvell drivers - but after installing new driver i've been still getting "buggy sense area" error.

About 12x speed - i'll tri it and post my results. But i'm a bit afraid of 12x being pretty high write speed considering data longevity. I've been told that the less write speed - the longer writter data will be safe and readable. What is your opinion about this?

One more thing - maybe the best way to deal with my problems is to format disc C and completely reinstall operating system and all necessary programs? I incline to this desicion 'cause both my drives worked pretty good at the beginning (about 300+ burned discs)...

Newer burners, like both of yours, are better tuned for higher speed burns. We recommend burning at 8x or 12x because those speeds usually result in the best burn quality on most burners. You're already using high quality media so that isn't a problem either.

Also, burners don't like being connected to RAID controllers. Is there a setting on the motherboard BIOS that allows you to set the controller mode? If there is set it to IDE mode. As for the driver, look on the motherboard's manufacturer website for the latest version. You could also try looking for the latest drive for your controller model using Google ;)

You could try format/re-install but I'm not sure it would solve your problem :unsure:

so, two discs, burned at 12x on ASUS were OK. at least, it's something - till next error :)

Mmalves, could you, please, say just a few words about this RAID/IDE thing? I mean, do i have to set abovementioned setting in BIOS only for Pioneer drive? Or this IDE thing will work simultaneously for ASUS drive? What setting have to be for ASUS? I have to give the directions to people who'll help me deal with all these BIOS horrors...

The IDE setting is for the Marvell controller only. The controller and/or its driver is messing with the communication to the drive, and that's why you get the Buggy Sense Area Detected error. When this communication problem is solved then it should work without problems. The motherboard's user manual usually shows how to change the setting, and you can usually find a copy of the user manual on the manufacturer's website.

As for the Asus burner, the errors it has shown before are usually caused by bad media/write speed combination. If it's working at 12x then keep using it and nothing else needs to be changed.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.