Terrible drive performance in the 2.5.0.0 version

perlmonk

I get the following message when I start ImgBurn

I 15:04:15 ImgBurn Version 2.5.0.0 started!

I 15:04:15 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 3)

I 15:04:15 Total Physical Memory: 514,028 KB - Available: 134,760 KB

W 15:04:15 SPTD can have a detrimental effect on drive performance.

I 15:04:15 Initialising SPTI...

I left all my settings as it was in the previous version which worked great. Now the drive performance is horrible. It gives me 1.1x speed at best.

I have both Alcohol 120% and Daemon Tools installed. I'll try uninstalling them and burn another disc as soon as this one is done, which has been taking forever.

I removed the IDE controller as instructed, and now I get a BSOD when loading windows. It happens even if I try to go into safemode.

I guess it was a bad idea to upgrade to 2.5.0.0 when everything was working fine. Now I got bigger problems.

Nevermind my previous post. I got back into windows after selecting "Use last known working configuration". So I'm back to the first problem. I checked and DMA is enabled. I uninstalled the SPTD driver. I still am able to burn only at 1x. I was burning at 8x using older versions.

You can't just 'check' DMA, that's the whole problem.

If you get BSOD's when you uninstall the driver and reboot then maybe you should try updating the driver instead. What chipset does your board use? Intel? Have you tried installing the latest chipset / matrix drivers? Are your controllers configured for IDE, AHCI or RAID mode?

Your speed problems are nothing to do with you using a newer version of the program.

You can't just 'check' DMA, that's the whole problem.

If you get BSOD's when you uninstall the driver and reboot then maybe you should try updating the driver instead. What chipset does your board use? Intel? Have you tried installing the latest chipset / matrix drivers? Are your controllers configured for IDE, AHCI or RAID mode?

Your speed problems are nothing to do with you using a newer version of the program.

It's a compaq laptop. I don't have any driver updates available.

What about the old version of ImgBurn (I was using 2.3.x.x previously I think)? What's the difference between that and the new one? I was getting 8x speed on that one and never had any problem.

You can see all that was fixed here. ImgBurn couldn't cause your DMA problem even if it wanted to: it simply interact that deep with your system, but Windows is known to fall back to PIO mode for its own unclear reasons while still showing the drives as using DMA mode in device manager.

I think you can use SIW (look under Hardware) or similar programs to find out which controller you have and its current mode.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.