NEC ND-3550-A OEM

Movie Junkie

meritline has gone down the tubes! They take the order all the way thru and then call and email to sock you with high shipping!

get the benq 1650 from newegg

Sorry to hear meritline is going down the tubes .I used them all the time for media but since I keep an eye out for Best Buy sales I've been able to get Verbs 16x for $10/25 on sale I stock up. I've always used New Egg for drives and always been satisfied with the service ,price and really fast shipping great company :thumbup:

Sorry to hear meritline is going down the tubes .I used them all the time for media but since I keep an eye out for Best Buy sales I've been able to get Verbs 16x for $10/25 on sale I stock up. I've always used New Egg for drives and always been satisfied with the service ,price and really fast shipping great company :thumbup:
While I've had no problems with NewEgg I had also heard that MeritLine was a good place to deal with. I'm sorry to hear that might no longer be the case.

Most likely, as most sale prices never include shipping. It's now called the eBay Jack Effect. =))

I haven't ordered from Meritline in about 2 years. Haven't needed as I've been able to find good deals on the same stuff at Staples, sometimes, (For instance, on genuine Sony DVD-R's) and Office Depot (For Ritek.)

I see the 3550 is crossflashable to a 4551! Anyone tried this?

That raises an ethical question and about crapped up all the hard work Liggy has done in support of nec drives. It took a week or so to sort out the flashers and remove that issue and get the firmware links

back up. Nec has liscensing obligations that were jepordized with this issue and cdfreaks was put in a

shakey legal position. With all due respect Cdfreaks and Nec have come out smelling like roses and the crossflashers like S***. The prime reason for the flash was to use the better(?) write strategies of the

NEC 4551, now that NEC has made the code universally compatible accross the family line, that's a moot issue.

I believe non-lightscribe drives were becoming "lightscribable" also, which could put NEC in a wierd spot re royalties/license fees. Lightscribe/lableflash/T@T2(sp?) are all a waste IMO, take too long, monocromatic, cost too much, and don't hold a candle appearance wise to a colour printed disc. Have no intention of ever buying any lightscribe media, haven't used the freebie that came with a drive, and probably never will.

I haven't used the freebie lighscribe that came with my BenQ either Grain !! :lol: I much prefer the look of my printed discs and so does our youngest, this way he can tell which disc is which, with a sharpie he struggles a bit !! :)

I don't think there is a problem spinner - its just that I prefer my printed discs...... :) The talk above is that some NEC's have been hacked to allow owners to use LScribe....

Btw the drive is the best one I have ever owned, I am not a heavy user of drives but this one is the dogs danglies (which is good !! :lol: ) !!

In regards to the meritline isssue, it is true that you have to watch out for the shipping costs, but they also have a "free shipping zone". I have recently been getting 100 TY-G03's for $36.99 with shipping included, so I'm not complaing, as this is only slightly more than I was paying for RITEK-G05's.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.