media question..

Jerseyguy

just a quick question..and since i cant find the link to the place that tells us what media is good is this a good or just ok blank

this is the new disk

Physical Format Information (Last Recorded):

Disc ID: RITEK-R03-02

Book Type: DVD+R

this is what i was using and only had 2 bad disks out of 100

Disc ID: RICOHJPN-R01-02

just a quick question..and since i cant find the link to the place that tells us what media is good is this a good or just ok blank

this is the new disk

Disc ID: RITEK-R03-02

this is what i was using and only had 2 bad disks out of 100

Disc ID: RICOHJPN-R01-02

Amazon had a 3pk of Memorex +R DLs on sale for 7.99. They turned out to be rebranded Riteks, Ritek D01, and all three of them burned with no problems and the results have been fine. Of course, one must be careful with Memorex as they've deteriorated steadily in the quality of their optical media. The days when we considered them--rightly--as among the best blank audio cassette makers are long, long gone.

It's no longer, "Is it live or is it Memorex," it's more like "Is it CMC or is it Prodisc"?

It's funny to think I used to pay $3+ each (in the mid and late 80s, so its probably more like $5+ in today's money) for 90 min audio tapes and blank CDRs go for pennies.

I have a 5 pack of Memorex re-branded RICOHJPN +RWs that I've been using pretty regularly for nearly two years. The first one just died. Generally RICOHJPN is considered pretty good stuff especially with their RWs.

I just bought a 25 pk spindle of Ritek/Ridata 6x -RWs that are performing quite nicely.

But seriously, and I don't think anyone's going to contradict me here:

for +/- R & CDRs stick with Taiyo Yuden they are considered the best--I have burned at least 200 with only a few coasters all of which were due to "operator error" :blush: ; and I have over 400 blank Taiyos in various formats and speeds (in America supermediastore.com and meritline.com both have excellent prices and service in my experience; in the UK or the Continent, someone else'll have to help you there, not my side of the Pond)

For +R DLs Verbatim seems to be the only brand that has a consensus as to their quality.

Edited by Pain_Man

• 2 weeks later...

these should be better right

Disc ID: YUDEN000-T02-00

Part Version: 1

Disc Size: 120mm

Maximum Read Rate: Not Specified

Number of Layers: 1

Track Path: Parallel Track Path (PTP

It's funny to think I used to pay $3+ each (in the mid and late 80s, so its probably more like $5+ in today's money) for 90 min audio tapes and blank CDRs go for pennies.

<wistful, good old days mode on>

I remember buying the old 5 1/4"floppies for 5 bucks each and my first CD-ROM was a single-speed Amiga A570 (which I still have around here somewhere) that cost me just under a grand. Hardware is ridiculously cheap these days by comparison.

<wistful, old fart mode off>

Yep. Long time ago though. Here?s some a piccies of one. The keyboard thingy on the right in the first image is an Amiga 500.

http://www.vintagecomputercafe.com/mycomputers/A570.jpg

http://peach.mie.utoronto.ca/people/tsangc/amiga-a570.jpg

http://www.osiembitpower.republika.pl/komp...iga500/a570.jpg

Mmm I tried the usual places VideoHelp.com and digitalfaq.com neither have any details on the media ID, the latter in fact seems a little out of date now ! :/

I had some of these discs as test discs a while back - check out the burns here, RITEK-R03-02 not the best I have ever seen mate :huh:

Yes, crule must be highly praised for all his hard work testing various media. julli-cools.gif I've drawn water from that well myself. Serves as good "templates" against which to measure one's own media's performance.

Edited by Pain_Man

<wistful, good old days mode on>

I remember buying the old 5 1/4"floppies for 5 bucks each and my first CD-ROM was a single-speed Amiga A570 (which I still have around here somewhere) that cost me just under a grand. Hardware is ridiculously cheap these days by comparison.

<wistful, old fart mode off>

Exactly!

My first PC, bought in '86, was an XT clone and cost $1200 (and came with a 20MB hdd).

That $1200 is easily more $3000 in 2006 money. :blink:

Hardware's not only ridiculously cheap, it's dirt cheap even buy comparison with ten years ago--when RAM cost $1US a MB.

Nine years ago I bought a Pentium 200 MMX with 64MB EDO RAM, a 2MB graphics card and 20x CDROM with some bad ass speakers for $2700.

In '03 I bought a VAIO that was light years beyond that Pentium 200 machine in every way. It's cost? Ironically: $1200.

Then, 'bout '99, the bottom dropped out of hardware prices and they became truly commoditized.

Edited by Pain_Man

I remember the Amiga but I have to admit I had no idea how much the hardware cost.....

I wanted an Amiga but the maternal verdict was: NO! Before that, I wanted a Mac. Same verdict.

Her employer was using PCs so we had to have a PC because she might have to do work at home. Funny, she never did do any work at home in those days.

Without getting into a debate about the relative merits of the various platforms, she ultimately chose the right one by buying a PC. Having expert Mac, let alone Amiga, skills wouldn't be worth much. There are a few industries where Mac still rules. I believe there are some video engineers who may still use Amigas, but they would be a tiny minority. (Didn't the "Toast" program originate on the Amiga?)

Edited by Pain_Man

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.