Best Media Player

greyowl

'Media Player Classic - Home Cinema' is good too.

You can get the latest SVN compiled editions from here: http://www.xvidvideo.ru/media-player-classic-home-cinema-x86-x64/

The real homepage is here: http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/

Please explain the difference in the "SVN compiled editions" and the version that is on the MPC-HC homepage.

Thanks

SVN is just where the code that's being worked on that second gets put - so it has all the latest changes/fixes in it.

Someone downloads all the files from the SVN area and compiles them to make a new executable file.

So assuming the SVN files have been updated since the time of the last public release, the SVN compiled executable will be newer and in theory better.

SVN is just where the code that's being worked on that second gets put - so it has all the latest changes/fixes in it.

Someone downloads all the files from the SVN area and compiles them to make a new executable file.

So assuming the SVN files have been updated since the time of the last public release, the SVN compiled executable will be newer and in theory better.

One more question: If you are familiar with the SVN compilations, are they very buggy before they proceed to the public release?

I am still exploring getting MPC-HC.

Also, is MPC-HC just a stand-alone exe file or does it install in your system and registry? When updating with a new SVN version, do you install it over the top of the old version?

I am wondering if you just use the SVN version on its own, or if you use any of the codec packs like CCCP or K-lite. And, if so, which one do you like best.

Sure appreciate your help.

What's there to explore?! Just download and install it. If for some weird reason you detest it, simply uninstall it.

The 'home cinema' part of MPC is basically its way of saying it already includes all the codecs (there is MPC and MPC Home Cinema).

MPC(-HC) is probably standalone but there are a few dlls in its program folder that I guess it uses at one time or another.

I just install over the top when I put new versions on.

No, I don't install CCCP or K-lite.

I manually install Haali Media Splitter, AC3 Filter and CoreAVC... and that's it.

Another vote here for MPC-HC.

As Lightning UK already said it's essentially standalone, the dll's are just extra language files and an icon file. It does write it's setting to the registry but if you've been "exploring" then you'll have noticed there's also an option to store settings to .ini file. I can't see the point of that on a local installation though but if you do feel so inclined to enable it I'd strongly suggest installing to a location other than Program Files (since I understand settings files are not supposed to be stored there).

No CCCP or K-lite here either.

I manually install Haali Media Splitter, QT Lite and ffdshow (personal preference)... and that's it (I think) :)

P.S. and don't forget to update DirectX

What's there to explore?! Just download and install it. If for some weird reason you detest it, simply uninstall it.

The 'home cinema' part of MPC is basically its way of saying it already includes all the codecs (there is MPC and MPC Home Cinema).

MPC(-HC) is probably standalone but there are a few dlls in its program folder that I guess it uses at one time or another.

I manually install Haali Media Splitter, AC3 Filter and CoreAVC... and that's it.

Thanks for the additional information.

Which source do you use for the AC3 Filter (there is a SourceForge and others)?

Another vote here for MPC-HC.

As Lightning UK already said it's essentially standalone, the dll's are just extra language files and an icon file. It does write it's setting to the registry but if you've been "exploring" then you'll have noticed there's also an option to store settings to .ini file. I can't see the point of that on a local installation though but if you do feel so inclined to enable it I'd strongly suggest installing to a location other than Program Files (since I understand settings files are not supposed to be stored there).

No CCCP or K-lite here either.

I manually install Haali Media Splitter, QT Lite and ffdshow (personal preference)... and that's it (I think) :)

P.S. and don't forget to update DirectX

Thanks for the help.

I could not find DirectX in Add/Remove Programs. How do I tell which version that I have on the computer? I am running XP sp3. I notice that DirectX is a big download of 80mb. Is DirectX necessary for just viewing movies?

Edited by greyowl

I could not find DirectX in Add/Remove Programs. How do I tell which version that I have on the computer? I am running XP sp3. I notice that DirectX is a big download of 80mb. Is DirectX necessary for just viewing movies?

Sorry, I just remembered the SVN version includes the latest DirectX dll in the program folder (d3dx9_) so it's probably not necessary to update it on your system after all, I was thinking of the stable version. :whistling:

Not for viewing movies, it's my understanding MPC-HC is built on the latest DirectX SKD that's why the latest runtime is required for all it's features to function correctly.... and why there is a link (in red), on the page you downloaded the SVN version, to the Microsoft page with the DirectX updater. It only downloads the newer components that's why the download size is variable, it depends on your system.

Edited by jeff_nz

Thanks again for the added information.

I updated the DirectX.

I am now deciding on the addons to go with MPC-HC. If I combine all of your preference, I would add Haali Media Splitter, Core AVC, AC3 filter, ffd show, and QT lite. Would these all work together ok, or would I need to pick between them for compatibility?

Thanks again for the help.

You probably won't need any of those additional filters or codecs as MPC-HC should be able to play most any video or audio format you throw at it all by itself..... it will use it's own internal filters in preference to any others installed on your system anyway unless you disable them in the options.

ffdshow duplicates most of MPC-HC's internal filters so you can skip that for starters unless you have a specific reason, like I said above it's just my personal preference (and habit I guess).

QT Lite replaces Quicktime (without the background processes and additional stuff), if you have Quicktime already and happy with it then that's another you can skip.

I would recommend Haali Media Splitter though, just remember that if you decide to install it then in MPC-HC options under Internal Filters you should disable the Matroska, MP4/MOV, MPEG PS/TS/PVA source filters so Haali will be used instead. Just a note, some people report problems with the shell extension enabled (for thumbnail previews) so I personally deselect it when installing Haali Media Splitter.

Then again if you never intend playing mkv, mp4 or ts files you can probably skip it also... you never really stated why you want another media player.

Edited by jeff_nz

Jeff_nz,

Thank you so much for the explanation. It is really helpful because I know very little about this and want to learn.

I currently do not have any media players on my computer. So, I will take your advice and just use MPC-HC by itself til I see the need to add these other filters and codec.

I have a question about Haali Media Splitter. Does MPC-HC play these files (mkv, mp4 or ts files) also by itself? Is it just that Haali Media Splitter plays them better?

I do not have QuickTime on the computer. Will MPC-HC play QuickTime files by itself, or is it necessary to add the QT Lite? Again, is it just that QT Lite plays the files better?

Currently, I do not have an audio player either. What would be your recommendations here for something that is good, basic, and doesn't use a lot of system resources?

Thanks again for your help.

Edited by greyowl

I have a question about Haali Media Splitter. Does MPC-HC play these files (mkv, mp4 or ts files) also by itself? Is it just that Haali Media Splitter plays them better?

I guess the haali splitter can handle more complicated files and is also under current development (a new version is due out soon I believe) whereas the internal splitter is more basic and may stumble with certain files.

I do not have QuickTime on the computer. Will MPC-HC play QuickTime files by itself, or is it necessary to add the QT Lite? Again, is it just that QT Lite plays the files better?

MPC-HC should still be able to play them okay by itself. Basically if you want to watch quicktime files embedded in web pages (i.e. outside MPC-HC) then you'd need Quicktime or QT Lite.

Currently, I do not have an audio player either. What would be your recommendations here for something that is good, basic, and doesn't use a lot of system resources?

I'd suggest taking a look at foobar2000.

Edited by jeff_nz

Hmm. I don't currently use the Haali Media Splitter, but you guys made it sound interesting enough to go and look for it ... so I did.

The Afterdawn "Introduction to Haali Media Splitter" page :

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/introduction_haali_media_splitter.cfm

makes it sound even more useful and indispensible - but then I looked at the Afterdawn download page for the software :

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/codecs_and_filters/haalimediasplitter.cfm

which has a rather dismal sequence of user comments, of which this is the gloomiest :

Haali is a sneaky SOB installing itself unknown to the user when it come packaged within other video software like FLV tag-alongs. Once on your system it is very difficult to remove. It tries to launch without permission whenever you simply browse a folder with video files in it. This uninvited launch crashes on Vista systems, two crashes for every video file in the folder.

The crashes seem harmless, only affecting the unwanted launch of Haali Media Splitter. However, it is disgusting to have to keep clicking "OK" buttons to kill the crash.

Normal uninstall techniques do not work as it has no "Add/Remove Software" listing and removing its thirty-something registry entries does not work either. It re-installs itself within seconds.

Save yourself a lot of grief and do not install Haali or any software based upon Haali engines.

A piss-poor product that acts more like a Trojan than useful video editing software.

I tend to set a lot of store by what I read at Afterdawn, so this user's comment is a bit of a stunner. Then again, I don't suppose LUK would willingly giving hooligan software house-room on his systems. :nunchucks::ph34r:

Clearly the user is complaining about a poor uninstallation "experience" (sorry, I hate using that word), and doesn't comment on the quality of the software's actual main functionality - so does anyone else here have any comments about the "good manners" and "neighbourliness" of the software ?

Cheers

If I use either AC3 Filter or CoreAVC, which items in MPC-HC do I disable.

Thanks for the help

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.