Are dual layer dvds more sketchy than regular 'uns?

schweinhundert

I just got some dual layer dvds for the first time and wonder if I'm taking a risk relative to regular dvds. They're sony dvd+r dl - Ritek D01-01

Any notion whether dual layers are as accurate and reliable? Will any trouble be apparent with the burn/verify, or can issues crop up later, even with what seemed a good burn?

I did find my particular disk on the media review forum, but that's beyond greek to me. Anyone know what that means in plain old american?

PS I've got a lite on a1h something something burner, if the burner is an issue here. It's been super to me so far.

Cheers!

Edited by schweinhundert

From a technical point of view, dual-layer burning is a lot more difficult to perform than single-layer burning, and, because of this, the quality of the dual-layer blanks plays the most important part. From our tests we have found Verbatim 2.4x (MKM-001-00 dye) DVD+R DL blanks to be the best dual-layer blanks on the market, followed by Verbatim 8x (MKM-003-00 dye) DVD+R DL blanks.

For the best chance of making your $ony blanks work with your burner, check if you have the latest firmware on it (you can right-click your burner's name in ImgBurn and choose Check For Firmware Updates).

From a technical point of view, dual-layer burning is a lot more difficult to perform than single-layer burning, and, because of this, the quality of the dual-layer blanks plays the most important part. From our tests we have found Verbatim 2.4x (MKM-001-00 dye) DVD+R DL blanks to be the best dual-layer blanks on the market, followed by Verbatim 8x (MKM-003-00 dye) DVD+R DL blanks.

Mmalves,

Thanks for this info. It's in the dual layer sticky but your explanation helps to confirm it.

I just bought a a new burner (LG GH22NP20). Would you recommend my buying 2.4x or 8x Verbatim dual layer discs for it? I know there's too many drive models but just taking a chance that you might be familiar with the burner I bought.

Oh, and if the Verbatim DL 8x is OK to buy, do you recommend buring at ImgBurn MAX speed or setting the speed to 4x or 6x?

Thanks,

Raptor

Edited by Raptor88

And you're lucky today because I do have that burner and it works fine with both 2.4x and 8x Verbatim blanks. My personal choice is the 2.4x ones ;)

Make sure you're using the latest firmware on it too (1.04).

Boy, wish I was in Las Vegas today... :thumbup:

I downloaded the firmware so thanks for that link too. I clicked the "Home" link on that website to look for instructions on how to install the firmware but there weren't any. I assume that just running the "GH22NP20_1.04.exe" file will automatically do the firmware update. If so, no need to respond.

I'll go with the Verbatim 2.4x DL discs per your personal choice.

Thanks!

Raptor

...wonder if I'm taking a risk relative to regular dvds.
I buy Verbatim 2.4x in the 50-per-cake from Sam's Club ($60); have been burning them at 2.4x and once in a while I have a failure which I've always attributed to a disc problem. The other day I accidentally burned one at 6x (they say "2.4x" on the disc, but apparently 4x and 6x are OK too). It burned & verified perfectly.

Some days I think the failures I've suffered were not bad discs, but instead the drive overheating, from the burn taking so long at 2.4x. Maybe I will keep doing 6x for a while and see if I always get perfection.

Just saying between the disc quality and the potential for drive problems, when it comes to DL disc burning I'm not sure that absolute perfection in all attempts is possible!

Remove any disc and close the tray before updating then just run that exe and it'll update the firmware. Reboot the computer after it has finished :thumbup:

Thanks. You're a treasured asset to this website.

And to the OP, sorry for the slight hijack of your thread.

Raptor

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.