Verbatim DataLifePlus 8.5GB 2.4X DVD+R DL White Inkjet Printable

Handler

Hi,

I was thinking about getting two 20 pack cake boxes of Verbatim DataLifePlus 8.5GB 2.4X DVD+R DL White Inkjet Printable. Various reviews complain that the white surface doesn't go all the way to the hub, while others complain that the surface doesn't print all that good. Some suggest that they have had problems with the second layer. I would be burning these discs with a Plextor PX-740A (firmware v1.02) at their rated 2.4 speed (not sure if I want to push them) and printing on them with a Epson R340.

Could someone please give me your experience with these based on the above?

Thanks.

I've used those discs from Newegg myself many times. Here's my experience with the NEC/Optiarc AD-7200a FW 1.09. I've only had 1 disc fail out of at least a hundred and probably more. I've had no problems burning the 2nd layer. I've recently started playing the first discs I made with them and they playback fine at the layer break and switch to next layer, with the layer break set to seamless.

As for the inkjet printable surface not going all the way to the hub. There is an area at the hole in the center of the disc where Verbatim puts its label and a label that says it's a "DVD+R DL 2.4x" disc. There is a small silver rim around where that Verbatim etc. info label ends and before the actual inkjet printable surface starts.

Hope that helps.

Yes, that does help a lot, thanks.

I suppose as long as the printable area doesn't include the small silver rim. Don't know what would happen if the printer decided to print on the silver rim. I suppose I'd have to wipe that area clean. I wish the surface went all the way to the hub, but I suppose it's still better than using sticky Stomper labels. :)

Some have said that the Verbatim surface doesn't print very good. The only other Inkjet surface that I've used are the ones from Taiyo Yuden. These have worked very well with my printer in the past. In your experience would you say that the white surface of the Verbatim disc print fine and that they are comparable to the Taiyo Yuden surface?

Thanks for the reply.

Edited by Handler

Well, I don't have a means to actually print to the inkjet printable surfaces, so, I couldn't say. I use inkjet printable surfaces and write on them with markers. I find the inks stay better to the printable kind of surfaces. Plus, I like to have a printable surface versus the static "labels" Verbatim puts on their discs with little actual space to write information on.

I know what you mean about the limited space that's provided on some discs where they allow you to write. In the beginning I use to use a fine point marker to get everything to fit. Later I started printing labels and now on the surface itself (even if it's to print a single word). At one time there was a lot of talk about using a black Sharpie on the surface of the disc back in the day. I don't know if the debate is over, that was 10 years or so ago. We didn't have Inkjet surfaces back then, but these days I can see what you mean, it's like having a blank sheet of paper in comparison.

As I mentioned earlier, I'll probably stick to the slower burn speed, I'm not in a rush. Plus, I think the slower speed provides a more "thorough" burn. If there isn't any other precautions, then with that I guess I'll go ahead and place my order.

Thanks again, I appreciate the information you've provided.

I, too, have never tried a Sharpie on these inkjet printable surfaces for the possibility that the ink might bleed through. I might try the Sharpie Pen as the ink in those does not bleed, but, the point is so fine it might not write well. What I use is a series of 4 colored markers in a set that says it was designed for writing on CD/DVD surfaces. So, if they're designed to be written on normal media surface, the inkjet layer in between should make it even safer, one would think so, anyway.

To be honest, I've yet to use these colored markers on the Verbatims. I've used them on the inkjet printable surfaces for CD-R's. They can be smudged, though, I've learned that much, based on the surface.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.