What's the difference between choosing "Device" and "Image file" in Output?

Blackranger

What's the difference(s) between choosing "Device" and "Image file" in Output in "Write folder to disc" if I am burning a Operating system which is now a normal file format and must be bootable after burnt?

What's "Extract boot image" from "Write folder to disc"? Which should I choose?

Also, if I have an Operating system which in ISO format, I decompress it and it becomes a folder. Later, I paste something which is not in ISO format into this uncompressed file.

As I don't know how to change the normal file format into ISO format, I use "write folder to disc" and select "Advanced"->"Bootable" disc and do everything mentioned in the "Burn Windows Vista / 7 bootable" post.

Now, if I burn in this way, then use "Create image file from disc", how will it be? Will it helps me form ISO image file? If yes: but the original not-burnt file is an uncompressed normal file which is only changed into a bootable situation.

Edited by Blackranger

Use Output -> Device when you want to burn to a blank disc. Write files/folders to disc is a shortcut to this Output mode.

Use Output -> Image File when you want to save it as an ISO image file, e.g. for testing on a virtual machine. Create image file from files/folders is a shortcut to this Output mode.

Extract Boot Image is a feature that allows you to extract the bootable bit from a bootable disc, e.g. from a vista / win7 installation disc. If you want to extract the bootable bit from an ISO image you'll need to mount it to a virtual drive like Virtual CloneDrive, Daemon Tools, etc.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.