liteon show-1633s

orac

ok here goes my problem.

I have burnt a lot of dual layer +r discs i have had a few with BAD sectors but for the most part they have all been ok.

I am using pgcedit to make the images and to set the layer break. As i said i have done this many times never had a fail yet, i just upgraded to the latest ver of image burn and have had 2 DL fail in a row they fail a media test DVD info pro all at the same place 50%. So scatching my head in wonder as to what was wrong and a few curse words at having just wasted 2 5$ discs i set about trying to work out what went wrong. I also did a Firmware upgrade since the update. I should also say that i have done a number of single layer burns also and with no prob's. All have passed error test. Since there was no way to say exactly what was to blame i had one of two options back date the firmware and do another burn or use a diff Prog to burn the ISO since i still have DVDdecrypter on my system i went with that. To my joy this burn passed the error test no prob. Happy KNOw as i did not waste another DL disc. Not sure what info i can provide as to why this is the case just thought i would try to save others the wasted discs.

If there is any test i can do that will help

Let me know and i will do it as i love this Prog and would like to use the latest VER.

A logfile would help a lot. So would a screenshot if you?ve got one handy.

unless there is another log file other than the one on the bottom of the prog i see little use for it as it says that all is well burn compleated successfully.

And i can do a log of the errors on both failed discs. using dvdinfo. i have since downgraded to ver 1.2 and i am just now doing another burn so will get back on if that works ok or not. i might still be the firmware but would think that if it was then dycripter would create the same errors.

...If i can retrieve the log from the 1.3 ver let me know were it is and i will get it...

here is a copy of the log file from the last burn i did. it is from 1.2 but the image is the same the disc also has a problem at 50%.

I 22:54:11 ImgBurn Version 1.2.0.0 started!

I 22:54:11 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 2)

I 22:54:11 Initialising SPTI...

I 22:54:11 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 22:54:11 Found 1 DVD-ROM and 2 DVD?RWs!

I 23:03:48 Operation Started!

I 23:03:48 Source File: D:\DVD IMAGES\*******.iso

I 23:03:48 Source File Sectors: 4,130,302 (MODE1/2048)

I 23:03:48 Source File Size: 8,458,858,496 bytes

I 23:03:48 Source File Application Identifier: MKISOFS ISO 9660/HFS FILESYSTEM BUILDER & CDRECORD CD-R/DVD CREATOR © 1993 E.YOUNGDALE © 1997 J.PEARSON/J.SCHILLING

I 23:03:48 Source File Implementation Identifier: mkisofs

I 23:03:48 Destination Device: [0:0:0] LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1633S BS0Y (F:) (USB)

I 23:03:48 Destination Media Type: DVD+R DL (Disc ID: RITEK-D01-01) (Speeds: 2.4x)

I 23:03:48 Destination Media Sectors: 4,173,824

I 23:03:48 Write Mode: DVD

I 23:03:48 Write Type: DAO

I 23:03:48 Write Speed: 2.4x

I 23:03:48 Link Size: Auto

I 23:03:48 Test Mode: No

I 23:03:48 BURN-Proof: Enabled

I 23:03:55 Optimal L1 Data Zone Start LBA: 2071504 (VTS_03, PGC: 1, Cell: 61)

I 23:03:55 Optimal L0 Data Zone Capacity: 2,071,504

I 23:03:55 Optimal L0 Data Zone Method: IFO Cell Boundary, 'SPLIP' Flag Not Set

I 23:04:32 Filling Buffer...

I 23:04:33 Writing LeadIn...

I 23:04:35 Writing Image...

I 23:04:35 Writing Layer 0... (LBA: 0 - 2071503)

I 23:25:39 Writing Layer 1... (LBA: 2071504 - 4130301)

I 23:46:36 Synchronising Cache...

I 23:46:37 Closing Track...

I 23:46:38 Finalising Disc...

I 23:47:39 Operation Successfully Completed! - Duration: 00:43:50

I 23:47:39 Average Write Rate: 3,278 KB/s (2.4x) - Maximum Write Rate: 3,412 KB/s (2.5x)

why then do they burn fine when i use Decrypter.... i have used these a lot in the past never had any prob's could it be the firmware or just that this is a very full disc. i might add that i have been doing DL burns for a few years so i'm not new to it..

Edited by orac

please don't forget to use the 'verify' function within ImgBurn. It will tell you there and then if the disc is readable.

DVD Decrypter was pretty dumb when it came to DL burns.

The only thing I can think of that really happens DURING the write that's different though is that DVD Decrypter would/could burn across the LB break, whereas ImgBurn will burn upto it, mention in the log that it's burning layer 2 now, and then start layer 2.

ie. if L0 and L1 are 16 sectors each (32 in total)

DVD Decrypter would just burn all 32 sectors in 1 go.

ImgBurn will burn 16 and then 16 again.

If there is a problem with this, the fault is the drives firmware.

It certainly wouldn't be the first fault either. I reported odd happenings with DVD-R DL burning a few weeks ago to LiteOn and they reproduced the problem their end and fixed it.

Well i did as you suggested and got a few Verbatim discs well sony's really but they have the same code, they do seem to read a lot better. I must have just been very lucky in the past with these discs as i did find others have had the same problem with the ritek discs when i did a lot more looking. I should add that i have just moved to canada so these are the first lot i have used here and the ones i got in Australia were Ok. So thanks for sorting this out it gave me a sleepless night trying to work it out i have to say.

I bow before you in humble sorrow.....

thanks again for all thet great work on IMgBurn and on the other RIP prog...

PS: Not a bug Just user ERROR,,,,,,

Final Note i had one fail using Decrypter also... Bad media.......i Feel like a fool....

Edited by orac

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.