Difficulties burning DVD

Gardenesse

Can anybody help a tyro here! I've spent hours searching through this forum (and others) for a way out of my difficulties. I have previously used CDBurnerXP for burning audio CDs with no problems. I have downloaded ImgBurn on recommendation to burn some DVDs. I am using SONY DVD+RW (1x4xcompatible) blank discs and operating Windows XP on a Packard Bell PC. I cannot get any discs to play on my DVD players and Windows Media Player just gives me swirls.

One of my DVD players lists the files but will not open them. I have attached the complete log of this session. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG? (It's usually 'user error' in my case as my computer knowledge is fairly limited by today's standards!)

ImgBurn Mick Brown.log

I 11:42:22 Destination Device: [1:0:0] _NEC DVD_RW ND-2500A 1.06 (E:) (ATA)

Update your burner's firmware (remove any disc from the drive and close the tray before updating then reboot the computer after the update is finished) and try burning again.

Thanks, it didn't occur to me that something might be out of date! Anyway, did that and burnt the DVD again - this time using a brand new Phillips DVD-RW disc. Everything went OK (ie. no errors on the log) but it still won't play in either the Samsung DVD player or the Cinetec DVD player. WMP still only plays pretty wave patterns.

I'm beginning to think that I must be making a basic error somewhere along the line. Perhaps I am not destined to download DVDs from the net!!

If anyone can assist I would be grateful - at least I am not just making coasters as the discs are re-writeable!

Edited by Gardenesse

According to the log you posted you're burning a Data DVD. If it burns and verifies okay then most likely your DVD players don't support avi files. If you want compatibility with all DVD players then convert your files to DVD Video format, others here have suggested using a program like DVD Flick for that task.

As far as WMP goes, it sounds like you don't have the necessary video codec installed and so it's only playing the audio stream. Perhaps install the DivX codec or try another player like VLC or MPC-HC.

EDIT:

If you know for sure that your DVD players do support DivX/avi files then read the manual as it should describe the requirements for playback. Generally the ISO9660+Joliet file system (Options tab in ImgBurn) is more compatible than ISO9660+UDF which you used... also, for what it's worth, my parents Panasonic won't play avi's from +R/+RW media at all only CD-R/RW, DVD-R/-RW or a USB stick, perhaps your players have certain limitations on media but it should be in the manual somewhere.

Edited by jeff_nz

Please post the log of that burn.

Sorry about this, I didn't remember to save the log separately so I have had to attach the whole thing!! It's not that long though coz I haven't had the program for more than a few days. Thanks for your help in this. I appreciate somebody bothering with learners.

ImgBurn.log

Post #2 is not performed. It might give you better burns with that RW disc.

Do you want to burn them as compliant DVD files (that DVD players play) or just as .avi files (that not all DVD players can play)? See post #5.

Sorry about this, I didn't remember to save the log separately so I have had to attach the whole thing!!

It's possible to use the copy and paste functions in Windows.

Post #2 is not performed. It might give you better burns with that RW disc.

Do you want to burn them as compliant DVD files (that DVD players play) or just as .avi files (that not all DVD players can play)? See post #5.

Sorry about this, I didn't remember to save the log separately so I have had to attach the whole thing!!

It's possible to use the copy and paste functions in Windows.

I would like to play the DVDs on both our stand-alone players ( Cinetec Model No DVD2200 & Samsung DVD709) if this helps at all.

Additionally, I have downloaded VLCMedia Player and I can play the DVDs on my PC with this - only trouble is......I've got no sound coming through.

Am I probably best not bothering with DVDs at all?

What do you mean by post #2 is not performed? I thought I had already done this.

Thanls for taking the time to do this for me.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.