Thanks for ImgBurn

tandy279

I've just bought a Pioneer BDR 205 Blu-ray burner, in the process of mapping the terrain. Amazingly, Nero doesn't work - it could only manage a 2x burn for a 4x disc, and after wasting 55 minutes of my time, Nero returned an error! Then I googled and found ImgBurn. Can't believe it's free! And it worked writing at 4x and verified without error! It's also the first burning program I know that's capable of re-verifying a disc.

Very useful program, big thanks to the author!

I become more impressed as I learn more about ImgBurn.

Was just burning a Blu-ray SL, went away for half an hour, came back to discover that the antivirus has interrupted the process and ImgBurn couldn't continue burning for 20 minutes. Normally, for any other burning software, that interruption means a new coaster - for a BR disc, it's just a very expensive coaster. But to my total amazement, ImgBurn gracefully waited, and picked up where it left off as soon as the antivirus dialog is dismissed. The disc was then verified successfully! Now that's true "buffer underrun protection"! Every commercial burning program could learn something from ImgBurn.

Note that the "buffer underrun protection" is from youre drive, not from the burning program.

Sure, ImgBurn has done his job wery well and always will when you have the optimal drive/firmware/media.

Keep on! :thumbup:

oh yeah, the hardware must make it possible for the software - they're just software not miracle machines! but a 20-minute interruption in the middle of a burn is way beyond a regular buffer underrun, which is meant to be a few seconds for the hard drive to catch up. Take Nero for example, the program I've been using for years to burn DVD-R, if data feed isn't catching up for more than a few seconds, it'll abort and add one to my coasters collection. In stark contrast, ImgBurn handled the exception situation extremely well. I'm a software developer myself, and I know that good exception handling is a key difference separating amateurs from professionals.

In addition to that, Nero was also unable to handle Blu-ray media properly. It failed to burn at 4x, and was unable to finalize properly. ImgBurn on the other hand has no such problems - very impressive considering its "main business" is DVD burning - i.e. not as much chance to put the Blu-ray part of the program under trial, but it worked flawlessly nonetheless.

Burned 4 BR discs last night using ImgBurn. Very enjoyable experience. I'll have to burn some more tonight! some people might think the feedback messages are too verbose, but I find it relaxing to watch (ya, call me weird!). The comment related to "ostrich" was a good one.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.