Import settings from another computer

sas2000

Hi, i've exported my ImgBurn settings to a .reg file and i've tried to import these settings on another computer, i've followed these instructions but it doesn't work (WinXp in both machines).

I'm sure that the .reg file i created on my computer is ok, because if i delete HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ImgBurn on my computer and i import settings from the .reg file it works perfectly, but when i try the same .reg file on the other computer it doesn't work. Any ideas ?, thank you very much.

Does the file actually import ok?

Assuming it does (and you confirm it's all ok via RegEdit), there's no reason for ImgBurn not to use them.

You should of course be running the same version on both machines and not be using 3rd party apps to call ImgBurn up - they often load their own set of settings.

Does the file actually import ok?

Assuming it does (and you confirm it's all ok via RegEdit), there's no reason for ImgBurn not to use them. 

Thank you for your help, yes the file actually import ok, i'll try to explain myself on a more detailed way.

1- Export settings on my computer (IB 2.5.0.0) to a MyIBSettings.reg file.

2- Install ImgBurn 2.5.0.0 on the second computer (i do not start it).

3- Import MyIBSettings.reg file on the second computer, process completed ok

4- Export IB settings on the second computer to a new .reg file called 2.reg

5- Compare 2.reg & MyIBSettings.reg, both files are identical

6- Start IB on the second computer using desktop icon

7- IB doesn't seem to use MyIBSettings.reg settings.

8- Close IB and export settings on the second computer to a new .reg file called 2B.reg

9- Compare MyIBSettings.reg & 2B.reg, both files are VERY different (480 vs 432 lines).

Both computers use WinXp Spanish, if you want i may send you both .reg files by email. Thanks again.

Pd.- To make Import/Export more easy to the average user, maybe you may implement an option on the menus to import/export settings to a INI file or like WinRar that is able to import/export to a .reg file using a menu entry.

Edited by sas2000

Hi, i've found a way to import settings properly :

1- Uninstall ImgBurn 2.5.0.0 on the second computer to delete previous settings.

2- Export settings on my computer (IB 2.5.0.0) to MyIBSettings.reg file.

3- Don't install ImgBurn 2.5.0.0 on the second computer.

4- Copy \ImgBurn\ directory from my computer to the 2nd pc.

5- Import MyIBSettings.reg file on the second computer, process completed ok

6- Start IB on the second computer using desktop icon

7- IB work ok, and it's using MyIBSettings.reg settings.

Thank you.

And you won't have any way to uninstall it and clean out the registry.

As I said before, you shouldn't need to mess around like you've been doing.

The program always reads from the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ImgBurn key in the registry so if you import it to the 2nd machine, it'll work.

You just need to work out why it's not working for you.

I recommend you try using Process Explorer (filtered to look at ImgBurn.exe) and see what it tries to read when it loads on that 2nd PC.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.