Which layer break?

Raptor88

I successfully burned my first DL DVD on my first attempt using ImgBurn. Used Verbatim 2.4 DL disc per mmalves suggestion.

One question. During ImgBurn's setup process, it displayed four layer breaks all of which were "average". When I previewed all four, they were all in the same scene quite close together. So I just selected the first layer break on the list and crossed my fingers.

Is there a preferred way to choose which layer break to use? Like is the first or last break preferable to middle ones? Just want to learn the best way from the pros.

Thanks,

Raptor

You can choose based on ImgBurn's star rating (Very good/Good/Average/etc), and if all of them were average then any of the options would have the same effect. That's why previewing is important, so that you can choose the best option that suits your needs.

Hi mmalves & Cynthia,

Thank you both for always helping us ImgBurn challanged folks. :wacko:

Cynthia, I never knew about the seamless option. Is it hard to find out if that option exists for a stand alone player? Since I'm thinking about buying a new upconverting DVD player (not bluray), any recommendations for a brand/model?

Thanks,

Raptor

Most modern ones supports it. My cheap "non brands" also works and they are some years old. You'll never find in any manual that is shipped with a player if it supports the option or not.

Burn a DL disc with the option enabled and the layer break in the middle of a video titelset and take the disc to the shop and watch what's happens when it plays at the layer break.

Most modern ones supports it. My cheap "non brands" also works and they are some years old. You'll never find in any manual that is shipped with a player if it supports the option or not.

Burn a DL disc with the option enabled and the layer break in the middle of a video titelset and take the disc to the shop and watch what's happens when it plays at the layer break.

I see that the seamless option in ImgBurn is checked by default. So the DL disc I just burned should have that option. I'll test the disc on my current DVD player (that always pauses at layer breaks) and then use that disc to test players in the store (if they will let me do it.) The problem of course is that stores normally have one player feeding all of their displays so they may not allow testing except to use the "buy, bring home, test, return" procedure.

BTW, question for anyone.

Is there a way to determine where the layer break is on commercial DVDs by examining the Video_TS file on the disc? I mean the original DVDs in my collection that I did not rip yet. Just nice to know info so no big deal.

Thanks for your help,

Raptor

I see that the seamless option in ImgBurn is checked by default.

My impression is that it's not enabled by default. :unsure:

I see now that the "seamless layer break" checkmark is in the GENERAL > DISPLAY WARNING section. I can't seem to find it elsewhere. Could you tell me what the path is to that option?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.