burning issue maybe ad-7560s drive

zfactor

okay my drive is burning weird with imgburn. ive tried 4 diff kinds of media. if i select 8x or aws to burn a single layer dvd - or + it will burn maybe 25% at maybe 1.5-2.0x then go up to 4x to about 50% then jump to 7-8x for the rest of the burn? i recently reinstalled windows and am not sure if this could have affected it but i never noticed this before. also i see "tracks" is what i call them in the disc about where the speeds changed you can almost see the difference in color based on when the speeds changed? whats going one? please help me out. thank you

edit also have another laptop same make and model with the same drive and same firmware and it does the same with imgburn. ashampoo seems to burn normal though and i get none of the different colored sections on the discs. what could be going on?

also tried: ritek f1 (i know junk), some cmc media, tayio, and REAL verbatim and same results all seem to play okay but the difference in the disc surface after burning kinda worries me. ad-7560s with sd05 firmware

Edited by zfactor

What you describe sounds like a ZCLV (zoned constant linear velocity) write strategy which is not something to be concerned about.

Modern high speed burners use different write strategies that vary depending on the model, firmware, media and selected write speed and often don't reach their maximum speed until approaching the end of the disc (especially if 16-20x was selected). Since the burning software can't control the write strategy, ashampoo may simply not be reporting the actual speed during the burn.

The only difference I can see on the disc surface though is a distinction between the burnt inner portion and the unused outer portion.

Edited by jeff_nz

What you describe sounds like a ZCLV (zoned constant linear velocity) write strategy which is not something to be concerned about.

Modern high speed burners use different write strategies that vary depending on the model, firmware, media and selected write speed and often don't reach their maximum speed until approaching the end of the disc (especially if 16-20x was selected). Since the burning software can't control the write strategy, ashampoo may simply not be reporting the actual speed during the burn.

The only difference I can see on the disc surface though is a distinction between the burnt inner portion and the unused outer portion.

well i can see the difference between the used and unused portion but inside the used area i can see clear as day three different shades of rings. one about 1/4" from the center another again about a 1/4" then the last ring then the unused portion. so in total 4 different shaded areas 1 unused.. this is what i am worried about and mainly asking about. i know some burners take time to ramp up speed during the burns. but what i mean is when i burned the same media same iso file with ashampoo i do not see the different shaded areas like with imgburn??

i may be able to get it in a picture not sure if the camera will pick it up but ill try. i 100% assure you there are 3 different shaded areas in the burned area on the discs.

i own 3 total of these notebooks and now have had the exact same result with all three. i did a ton of burns last night to make sure all three had the same result. the discs seem to play okay but i am worried about the way they are burning. all three same drive model, firmware and media were tested (4 types all same result with the 4 shaded areas)

thank you

btw i LOVE imgburn its really my primary software i use for burning ashampoo is always my backup if anything is wrong or i need to test.

Edited by zfactor

For a high speed burner (can burn faster than 12x) you should be able to get up to 8x much faster on the burn.

Look at the graph file how the drive performed during the burn. That should tell you more.

What drive do you use?

For a high speed burner (can burn faster than 12x) you should be able to get up to 8x much faster on the burn.

Look at the graph file how the drive performed during the burn. That should tell you more.

What drive do you use?

as i said in the title its a notebook drive optiarc ad-7560s

what happens is it starts at 2x.. then it drops almost totally off to .8 or .9 according to imgburn then ramps back up to 4x almost instantly then slowly rises to 8x after about 50% of the way.

the the post above yours why do i not get these areas on the disc showing with ashampoo and only with imgburn then?? im not saying its a imgburn problem im just wondering why the difference in the final outcome on the disc itself. when i get home i can post the burn data im away from the system right now

im trying to find better firmware for this drive. it came with sx01 which was AWEFUL i went to sd04 (a dell release) and my discs would actually burn (all 3 systems were the same way) then i upgraded to sd05. someone said somewhere there is also a sx07 and a ss03 and 4 from sony but i can not get those to flash to the drive. could anyone help me in finding sx07 to try out?

Never looked how the discs looks when I used Ashampoo. Can only guess that it might be that it uses another write method like Incremental.

That it jumps down so fast after the burn starts sounds as it's trying to find a better write strategy for those discs. Necs do have a habit of jumping down and up in speed during the burn as you can see in this picture. (The yellow line). But it should not be for a long period.

post-1-1246008227.png

as i said i tried 4 diff kinds of media all with exactly the same result. i just got done editing the sony newest firmware ss04 to be flashed to this drive. ive edited the exe to the version sx04 to be able to be flashed to my drive. though i may have to change it to sd06 lol instead since ive already flashed to the dell firmware sd05 to try that one. so it may not take the sx04 back on. i simply use a hex editor to change the values and now it shows sx04 instead of ss04 when flashing. ive done this many times for other drives.. ill report back after trying this firmware

edit again lol just found ss05 from sony japan.. ill try this one i think first since its newer..if it works okay ill upload it for anyone to add to the firmware hq if you want. it will be sx05 or whatever you would like it to be lol

Edited by zfactor

as i said i tried 4 diff kinds of media all with exactly the same result. i just got done editing the sony newest firmware ss04 to be flashed to this drive. ive edited the exe to the version sx04 to be able to be flashed to my drive. though i may have to change it to sd06 lol instead since ive already flashed to the dell firmware sd05 to try that one. so it may not take the sx04 back on. i simply use a hex editor to change the values and now it shows sx04 instead of ss04 when flashing. ive done this many times for other drives.. ill report back after trying this firmware

edit again lol just found ss05 from sony japan.. ill try this one i think first since its newer..if it works okay ill upload it for anyone to add to the firmware hq if you want. it will be sx05 or whatever you would like it to be lol

okay so flash was a success i did have to rename the sony firmware to the next in the "sd" ones to take so the drive is not sd07 since i also tested the sony ss04 as sd05 and now the ss04 as sd07 tbh it looks the same as the dell sd05 firmware i think sony just renamed it to ss05 instead the firmware looks the same as dell in a hex editor almost exact so ill test this tonight at least i know for sure now i can jump to any firmware i want this way =)

okay so the tracks are still in the discs. but the speeds were better and went from 2.0 to 4.0 without much of a drop off. this is using the modded sony ss05 firmware.

i have both the original and modded one (for use on any optiarc ad-7560s) if you would like them cynthia for the site just lmk. i also have sony ss04 dell sd05 and a few others for this drive. the newest on the site is ss03 from sony actually thats the only firmware.

Feel free to attach the original ones that is missing from the Firmware HQ (or post links to them if they are to big to attach or send them in a mail to ImgBurn support), and they will be uploaded there.

:)

• 4 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.