A great story...of how Americans will tolerate only so much....

Pain_Man

From my mother, a great, true story:

The Budweiser Story

How Budweiser handled those who laughed at attacks on 9/11 [i would remind my British cousins that 300 UK citizens died in the attacks; my Canadian cousins should remember that 50+ Canadians died as well] ...Thought you might like to know what happened in a little town north of Bakersfield, California*.

On September 11th, a Budweiser employee was making a delivery to a[n Arab-American-owned] convenience store in a California town named McFarland. He knew of the tragedy that had just occurred in New York when he entered the business to find the two Arab-Americans, who owned the business, whooping and hollering to show their approval and support of this treacherous attack.

The Budweiser employee went to his truck, called his boss and told him of the very upsetting event! He didn't feel he could be in that store with those horrible people. His boss asked him, "Do you think you could go in there long enough to pull every Budweiser product and item our beverage company sells there? We'll never deliver to them again." The employee walked in, proceeded to pull every single product his beverage company provided and left with an incredible grin on his face. :D He told them never to bother to call for a delivery again. Budweiser happens to be the beer of choice for that community. [it should be noted that Budweiser has a60% of the beer market in the US.]

[imagine Paul Harvey's baritone intonations...] And Now [for] The Rest Of The Story:

It seems that the Bud driver and the Pepsi [driver for that area] are neighbors Bud called Pepsi and told him. Pepsi called his boss who told him to pull all Pepsi products as well!!! That would include Frito Lay, etc. Furthermore, word spread and all vendors followed suit!

At last report, the store was closed indefinitely. :thumbup: A good old [fashioned] American ass whoopin! julli-stol.gif

Finally...

....THANK AN AMERICAN OR BRITISH SOLDIER!!!

God Bless America and the UK!

*Approxiametly 100k north-east of LA.

Edited by Pain_Man

Finally...

....THANK AN AMERICAN OR BRITISH SOLDIER!!!

God Bless America and the UK!

We don't do too bad down here either, we've been there everytime you guys decided to sneeze.

I do apologize for leaving y'all out.

Your government's backed our polcies to the hilt and this is very much appreciated. You also fought just as hard as the Brits did, esp against the Japanese in WWII.

Aussies are great fighting men.

I meant NO offense whatsoever. Again, sorry.

(Just so I don't cause anymore offense, the same applies to New Zealanders.)

This is an URBAN legend! It NEVER happened!

http://www.snopes.com/rumors/budweiser.asp

It is NOT a true story. Never was, no matter whose mother it came from. :wink: It wasn't true back when Movie_Junkie posted here about it, either. =))

Fuck it, Minty. It's the moral import of the story. Besides, who says it isn't true? Did Budweiser deny it?

No need to take a swipe at my Mom. (I know you didn't mean it that way! ;) )

http://www.snopes.com/rumors/budweiser.asp

It is NOT a true story. Never was, no matter whose mother it came from. :wink: It wasn't true back when Movie_Junkie posted here about it, either. =))

You should have posted this, imo:

The events described never happened, said Dennis Muleady, marketing director for Advance Beverage of Bakersfield, the Budweiser distributor for the McFarland area. As well, a query to Anheuser-Busch produced the following response:

Please know that we have investigated the matter and have found there is no truth to this story.

Edited by Pain_Man

Fuck it, Minty. It's the moral import of the story. Besides, who says it isn't true? Did Budweiser deny it?

No need to take a swipe at my Mom. (I know you didn't mean it that way! :wink:)

Well, the moral may be pretty good. But, I don't recommend passing off legend as facts to tell it. Regardless of the case. :)

As for your mother, you're right, I didn't mean it that way. ;) I was pointing it out because, you have to admit, when we do state something as a true story and it must be true because our mother told us, it's funny when it's revealed not to be, right? :D And, we've all been there. It's embarassing at the time, but, it should... should :wink: ...make you laugh afterwards when you look back.

Which begs the question, how did your mother find out? Does she receive e-mail on a regular basis? Or was she told this? Or do you even know, I guess is the best place to start asking. :)

As for mothers telling stories, I offer this one from my reply to Movie_Junkie's original post:

"I remember how my mother fell for a story being spread around. With her, though, interestingly enough, the story actually happened only because someone else was tricked before her. It was the story of how a year after 9-11, people were warned not to drink Coke products, or Pepsi, or what not. That another attack was planned then, and, someone repays a "kind soul for an act of kindness" by warning of them, cryptically, of the impending attack. My mother helped someone by providing them some change at a check out counter at the store when they were short a few pennies. Apparently, the person who she helped had fallen for the story of an impending attack and told her not to drink Coke products on the first anniversary of 9-11 because they had been told the same thing. So, yes, the story in this case really DID happen. But, only because someone else was fooled into believing it before and that drove the actual event into creation.

Sadly, my mother didn't drink any Coke products, she later told me. When she told me of it, trying to warn me, I told her it was ridiculous and planned on drinking an extra Coke on the anniversary. And, I did."

Because, for the Coke story, IF someone actually KNEW of such an attack... AND YOU DON'T TELL THE GOVERNMENT?! Sheesh! :rolleyes: So, it has to be just spreading panic, and therefore false. I drank the extra Coke because I look for any excuse to drink an extra Coke. =))

If it makes you feel any better, Movie_Junkie's post also said "This is not a joke, it's true!" But, such is the effect of urban legends. :D Everyone falls for them at some time.

It's embarassing at the time, but, it should... should wink2.gif ...make you laugh afterwards when you look back.

I admit, I got schnookered. And that's never fun. But I know you well enough to know there was no malice toward me or me Mum.

In my defense, I had never heard a story like this (e.g. I'd never heard the "Dunkin' Donuts" story either). That made me tend to think it was true. If I had heard similar rumors I'd have been much more circumspect and done some research. Even tho' it WAS from my mother.

Now that I know the truth, the conspiratorial part of my brain is starting to spin...

As always, follow the money.

Who has the most to gain from spreading rumors like this (assuming it isn't just racist dickheads)?

Competitors of the business in question.

If there's a Harry's Donuts across the street from the Dunkin' Donuts, that's the first place I'd look.

If there's an AMPM Mini-mart or 7/11 across the street from this Bakersfield store, I'd look there first.

After all, who wants competition? Nobody (in most cases anyway).

So if you're a fellow small business dude and your competitors are Arab-Americans or Muslim-Americans are are perceived as either, and you have the ethics of Bill Clinton, what might you do?

Ahhh, yes! Spread a rumor that Ahmed and Mahmoud were partying it up on 9/11 as they watched the video tape. You mention it to a few customers, a few neighbors. Only, naturally, you say, "You know what one of the delivery drivers told me?" Being careful, of course, NOT to mention the specific delivery driver...

Now I have a handle on this and it makes much more sense. Real racists are usually idiots (not always but usually; thank god not all of them are Hitlers or Nathan Bedford Forrests, for our foreign friends, he founded the first incarnation of the KKK).

Well, it's obviously propoganda. WHY, for something called the Tehran Times, is it in English? :) Why would they be seeking out advertising revenues, too?

You didn't read it closely enough, I think (?)

It's debunking the Tehran Times story...

Wow... I don't know how it happened, but, I got the front page of Tehran Times itself, instead! I was reading an article called "Western media?s smoke and mirrors" from the actual Tehran Times' site... :wacko: I clicked on that story as it was the one of the 3 that sounded the most like what I was supposed to be reading. So, my bad there. :blush2:

In my defense, I had never heard a story like this (e.g. I'd never heard the "Dunkin' Donuts" story either). That made me tend to think it was true. If I had heard similar rumors I'd have been much more circumspect and done some research. Even tho' it WAS from my mother.

Sort of like when Movie_Junkie first posted on this. It just didn't feel "right" when I read it. Sounded like a too good to be true story. I wish I had thought of checking snopes then, but, it was spinningwheel, I think, who found it, initially. Let's see. Yeah. Credit where it's due. :D

Wow... I don't know how it happened, but, I got the front page of Tehran Times itself, instead! I was reading an article called "Western media?s smoke and mirrors" from the actual Tehran Times' site... :wacko: I clicked on that story as it was the one of the 3 that sounded the most like what I was supposed to be reading. So, my bad there. :blush2:

Well, it's good for a good laugh, if nothing else. I don't know what's worse, that they write this shit at all or that they expect people to believe it!

Can people in Iran be that fucking ignorant?

Well, look at Nazi Germany. You had a highly educated population (probably the most educated population in the world at that time). Though the percentage of people with advanced degrees was about 8%, the illiteracy rate was 1 in 1000! (Russia's was probably 600 out of 1000!)

Yet they swallowed Nazi horseshit hook line and sinker long before it became life-threatening to challenge it.

Sort of like when Movie_Junkie first posted on this. It just didn't feel "right" when I read it. Sounded like a too good to be true story. I wish I had thought of checking snopes then, but, it was spinningwheel, I think, who found it, initially. Let's see. Yeah. Credit where it's due. :D

Wheel's a smart dude.

Well, look at Nazi Germany. You had a highly educated population (probably the most educated population in the world at that time). Though the percentage of people with advanced degrees was about 8%, the illiteracy rate was 1 in 1000! (Russia's was probably 600 out of 1000!)

Yet they swallowed Nazi horseshit hook line and sinker long before it became life-threatening to challenge it.

I've never found it that hard to believe it was how the German people reacted, actually. While it doesn't condone what they agreed to, of course, it makes sense they'd back anyone who offered them any kind of hope. Regardless of what it was. When there's no food on the table and someone says they will put it there, you don't really care what they'll do as long as food arrives. And, for a while, food did. Of course, the far reaching consequences for the price of that food... but, even then, I doubt the German people, even if they knew what it would cost, would have resisted. So, I can see how it all started. And, why it stayed around for the time that it did. Because there would part of those who resisted, but couldn't dare openly resist for fear or reprisals. And, naturally, there would be probably equal parts who went along with the whole thing entirely out self interests beyond merely protecting themselves from reprisals. But, from outright potential sharing of the spoils should the Third Reich have succeeded.

if you tell someone something often enough, eventually they beleive it, regardless of if its true or not.

i think thats what nazi rule did to the German people. Sadly, most governments/politicians :swear::whatever: still think the same applies today.FORTUNATELY the bollocks they try and tell you are such blatent crap, most of us see straight thru them.

I've never found it that hard to believe it was how the German people reacted, actually. While it doesn't condone what they agreed to, of course, it makes sense they'd back anyone who offered them any kind of hope. Regardless of what it was. When there's no food on the table and someone says they will put it there, you don't really care what they'll do as long as food arrives.

It is continually asked: "How could the people who produced Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, Schiller, Heine, Goethe, Leibniz, Lessing, Kant, Schumann, Schubert have perpetrated the Shoah (Holocaust)?"

There's a simple answer: World War I.

It exposed 13.5 million German men to the largest occurence of industrialized killing in history (industrialized killing was, unsurprisingly, invented by the French with their Guillotine, tho' Dr. Guillotin thought he was doing the condemned a favor, instead he invented the first Assembly Line of Death).

Of those 13.5M men, two million died. The best and brightest, the future leadership of Germany perished on the battlefields of Russia, Poland, Italy and, above all, on the deathfields of Flanders, Belgium and northern France.

Then their entire way of life, their entire society collapse overnight, the Hohenzollern monarchy, creator of modern Germany and dominator of Germany for centuries vanished overnight.

Germans were lost, utterly bereft. And 200,000+ civilians died of malnutrition due to the British blockade.

Then the Treaty of Versailles, against all precedent in the great power wars of the preceding four hundred years, was imposed on them without negotiation. And Germany was never occupied. Germans tasted defeat, but they never experienced. Not a single enemy soldier set foot on Germany territory until after the war.

The misery of the Depression, I was told by someone who lived through it, was beyond imagining. As Minty says, it was so bad millions were ready to obey anyone who would give them work and fill their bellies even if he stripped away their freedom, indeed, their very humanity.

And, this man understood the German lust for revenge. They had the greatest army in history. The strongest economy in Europe. The best strategic position. HOW could they have lost? Unable to face reality, that they were not strong enough, that their generals had made tragic errors, that their Kaiser spent his time in champaigne fueled homosexual orgies, they had to blame someone and like most humans, it was not themselves they blamed.

Hitler offered the Other. And the German people, nearly all, accepted it. By the time they realized that they had given themselves to an utter madman, it was too late. A corrupt and inefficient police state had them by the throat. True, it was nowhere near what Stalin had created, but it was efficient enough to destroy all resistance. Only twice did resisters have real chances to kill Hitler. And they failed. (the first time because the fuse in the British supplied bomb failed; the second failure is too well known to repeat).

So, when Hitler ordered the destruction of Jewry, it was carried out by men who had scene the best part of an entire generation slaughtered by the machine guns and rapid firing artillery and gas of WWI. It was but a small step to slaughtering Jews and others on a massive scale with industrial processes and German efficiency.

Nearly every catastrophe of the 20th century can be traced to the events that followed the assassination of Archduke Ferdinand in Sarajevo (all because his driver made a wrong turn! Oh, how history would have changed if his driver hadn't made that fucking turn!). Gavrilo Princip's bullets set of a series of events that still affect all of us in every country in the world today. They caused WWI. They enabled a homeless pseudo-intellectual racist asshole to take control of the greatest country in Europe. They lead to the creation of the Soviet Union and the murder of 20M there. They lead to the deaths of 60M more in WWI and WWII.

And they still haunt us today in some many ways. Why, oh why could a hail of machine gun bullets not have found Hitler in Flanders where he spent nearly all his time in WWI? Again, how history hinged on one man's luck--and the world's misfortune that turned on it.

if you tell someone something often enough, eventually they beleive it, regardless of if its true or not.

i think thats what nazi rule did to the German people. Sadly, most governments/politicians :swear::whatever: still think the same applies today.FORTUNATELY the bollocks they try and tell you are such blatent crap, most of us see straight thru them.

Indeed, you're write volvo.

Hitler is the inventor of modern advertising. In Mein Kampf he laid down the basic principles of propaganda and modern advertising:

"The message must be so simple that even the dumbest in the population understand it. It must also be repeated constantly, unceasingly. If is repeated often enough the people will begin to accept it without question."

To the sorrow of the world, he was absolutely right.

Sounded like a too good to be true story.

Frankly I believed it because the fact is there were celebrations in Arab countries, especially the now infamous footage of Palestinians celebrating in the streets and handing out candy to children (an old Arab custom in times of celebrations).

Other stories have since confirmed that the majority of the Arab world, in the words of one Lebanese, "...America got what it deserved."

In a mean moment, the sight of those Palestinians julli-nono.gif made me wish that Hitler had invaded the Middle East.

Edited by Pain_Man

That's right...make me feel bad all over again.

014.gifsaddunce.gif

I feel your pain, bro. I feel your pain. :console:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.