Nero 7.2.0.3 crashed my system...

Pain_Man

I downloaded Nero 7.2.0.3 (on 25 APR) and it hosed my system. fortunately, I have Acronis TI and was able to completely reinstall the C partition in 20 minutes. Now I see they (after Minty told me) that they released a "b" version on 27 APR. I suspect I wasn't the only one with major problems.

Oh yeah, downloading "b" right now but its crawling. Instead of the 500 to 1000KB/sec I usually get, it's down in the 100s/KB. Not cool. :(

[/b]Has anyone else had problems with this update?[/b]

Back to the story...

I installed 7.2.0.3 and almost immediately started having problems. :o I was trying to install the Lightscribe writing module and it would work. Then I started getting messages: "Nero is hosed. Reinstall."

OK, reinstall.

Couldn't do it. I ran the "repair" didn't work.

I tried to uninstall, no matter what I did it wouldn't uninstall. I even manually deleted the files, ran the Registry cleaners I have. Nero wouldn't go away from the Add/Remove Programs panel.

Even though the program files were gone, I still couldn't get it to install. Well, except for images, I use Nero the most. I also have CopytoDVD but its a lot more finicker about goofy file names (I make a lot of classical CDs and burn MP3 collections so very long file names are the norm), often rejecting them. Nero, however, burns these same files to disk without objection (instead of quitting, like C2DVD, it actually modifies the names! Imagine that. Well, CopytoDVD is French...)

So, Nero was screwed. Thank God for True Image. :thumbup: I popped in the Emergency boot CD and reinstalled the last image I'd made. It saved me many, many hours of work reinstalling dozens of programs and implementing countless customizations to get things they way I want them.

So: warning to the group! Be ware of 7.2.0.3. I don't how the b revision is going to affect things. I'm not too worried. I can be up and running again in 20 minutes.

for those who don't have their partition backed up, I'd be VERY careful, lest you be stuck manually reinstalling your entire system! :w00t:

Edited by Pain_Man

Speaking from experience (programming wise).... making little (ISO9660) names from long ones is a pain in the arse, especially if you're doing a lot of them. It's slooooooooooooooow

I'm finding these things out the hard way by attempting my own ISO creation util.

Speaking from experience (programming wise).... making little (ISO9660) names from long ones is a pain in the arse, especially if you're doing a lot of them. It's slooooooooooooooow

I'm finding these things out the hard way by attempting my own ISO creation util.

I hope you succeed, Lightning. I can use all the help I can get with Art Music--or "Classical" if you will--names.

Seems that 18th century composers didn't anticipate the naming restrictions of optical burning progs. :(

I finally had to use renaming programs to reduce the names to reasonable sizes.

Also because I use my set-top DVD player and surround sound as my primary stereo, and I listen to a lot of MP3s I have to have name's short enough to read the track name I'm listening to (with a five disc change I can load it up and have music playing all day without bothering to change it).

Unfortunately, the screen display (and I have a 16X9 HDTV) allows pathetically few letters. So in order to see what track is playing, I have to completely rename the files and use lots of abbrivations. Fortunately, N.I.Y.O.W. is a pretty good renamer, makes my life much easier. Another, freeware program called "The Godfather" (why I have no idea; Nero is understandable a bad joke, but nay-the-less understandable) is also quite helpful, esp since it can generate file names based on the ID3 tag info.

Edited by Pain_Man

Yes, this installer displays the problems of the last 3, at least. It is super slow, it will bitch that there is a problem with your Nero install, when there isn't; just click OK and the installer goes. Albeit like molasses. It will "disappear" from the screen sometimes and will appear to have stopped working due to its slow run. But, what can we expect? These are the same people who introduced, refuse to acknowledge, and won't repair the major error caused by their DVD-R DL engine in both NBR and Recode, that affects on Recode, e.g. regardless of the app installed. i.e. you can install an older Recode, but, install a latest NBR and Recode inherits the problem from Recode.

Yes, this installer displays the problems of the last 3, at least. It is super slow, it will bitch that there is a problem with your Nero install, when there isn't; just click OK and the installer goes. Albeit like molasses. It will "disappear" from the screen sometimes and will appear to have stopped working due to its slow run. But, what can we expect? These are the same people who introduced, refuse to acknowledge, and won't repair the major error caused by their DVD-R DL engine in both NBR and Recode, that affects on Recode, e.g. regardless of the app installed. i.e. you can install an older Recode, but, install a latest NBR and Recode inherits the problem from Recode.

KOW, have had no trouble with NBR.

However, I have just experienced nearly everything else minty describes.

Actually, I'm somewhat relieved to hear it. The installer acted as he described. It moved like motor oil in an Alaska winter, it disappear periodically, it flashed odd error messages that didn't affect the progress of the install. Just weird.

Just trying to uninstall 7203 (before the 7203b release) fucked things up so bad that I had to install a backup image to set things aright.

Seriously, they need to get deine schiese together over there.

Well, that's par for the course, now. You simply get it working enough to cover up the holes long enough to sell it. :) Shove it out the door and fix it later is the current professional software developer mantra. Nero, Roxio Easy Media Creator, Acronis True Image 9, anything from Symantec, anything from Microsoft.

at least its not IMGburn kidnapped my family ,burned down my house post .For all its worth I've never had any problems with Nero 6 Pretty much dont use it anymore since the last couple of LUK programs :thumbup:

Oh, yeah... I had forgotten! ImgBurn DID kidnap my family and burned my house down! I had merely supressed the memory. Thanks! Now, my lawsuit can go forward, now that I conveniently remember those events that did not happen, as long as they help my case. :D

Well, that's par for the course, now. You simply get it working enough to cover up the holes long enough to sell it. :) Shove it out the door and fix it later is the current professional software developer mantra. Nero, Roxio Easy Media Creator, Acronis True Image 9, anything from Symantec, anything from Microsoft.

I have to part company with minty on Aronis TI. So far its been golden for me. Working just beautifully. :D

(I'll have to sacrifice a DIMM to the software gods to insure I haven't invited Nemesis... :innocent: )

It's this first-fatest-now-before-everyone else mentality. And even if the competition beats you to the punch and releases their latest and greatest before yours, then there's even more pressure to "go gold" and "shove it out the door."

The motto seems to be, "Ship it now, patch it later!"

But it's hardly confined to the computer or software industries. Its becoming endemic to all industries in all countries. While German stuff has always been overcomplicated, prone to breaking quickly and requiring expensive and extensive maintenance, even the vaunted Japanese obsession with quality is declining. (natrually they'll blame "lazy American workers" but the last time I check the cars are designed in Japan and Japanese managers run the plants...)

EVerything's speed, speed, speed these days. In a market economy the customer gets exactly what he deserves. And we want our gratification now, now, NOW!! And woe to the company that actually thinks quality matters and would rather wait and get it right than throw it onto store shelves and hope the return rate is below the acceptable loss calculated by the bean-counters.

(The exact logic Ford used with the infamous "exploding" Pinto; see Class Action for an excellent fictionalized account of this and the lawsuit that followed. That Mary Elizabeth Mastroantonio co-stars is another reason to watch... :)

Oh, yeah... I had forgotten! ImgBurn DID kidnap my family and burned my house down! I had merely supressed the memory. Thanks! Now, my lawsuit can go forward, now that I conveniently remember those events that did not happen, as long as they help my case. :D

Yes, yes, I remember now to. I too suffer from repressed memory syndrome.

It was much worse. ImgBurn raped my rats and stole my wife's New Kids on the Block CDs.

It was just awful. I want JUSTICE!!!!

Of course, you weren't there when Acronis first released the 9.0 version of the TI software. You've had the benefit of 6 months of updates. :) When it first came out, it just did not work at all.

I remember your telling me about them.

Wasn't disputing just noting my own experience. Tho' for about ten minutes this morning I was very clearly recalling the tales you told me.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.