Win XP Start Menu All Programs setting?

dbminter

I've been trying to find where :) Windows has hidden a setting I remember having ONE time before it got turned off somehow. There USED to be a setting you could enable where the All Programs link under the Start menu did not automatically open when you moved your mouse over it. You had to click on it to open it if you set it up to behave that way. Anyone remember what/where that was? Thanks!

I've been trying to find where :) Windows has hidden a setting I remember having ONE time before it got turned off somehow. There USED to be a setting you could enable where the All Programs link under the Start menu did not automatically open when you moved your mouse over it. You had to click on it to open it if you set it up to behave that way. Anyone remember what/where that was? Thanks!

I could be wrong but I think that bit the dust with XP. A 9x/Me feature if memory serves.

(See, They found out we liked it so it had to go.)

No, it's there. I discovered it was "on" when I restored the most ancient of my XP backup of the factory partition, post first boot, activated, converted to FAT32, to test my latest round for weeding out the new fucker error. :lol:

Oh, you wouldn't know. :) The error was not revealed in my diatribe above. :D I only remembered that in the past, XP had had that option enabled for the Start Menu beacause I had restored to my factory default partition, which was the 2002 release of XP.

As for what the fucker error is... what ISN'T a fucker error with these guys? =)) Where to start? Mostly, I'm narrowing down which of my restores is the youngest I can restore from that has the fewest problems in it. ;) For instance, the one I just restored I know I can't use because it suffers from a problem the others do, too. HOWEVER, in those partitions, it could be fixed. In this one, though, it refuses, conveniently. Virtual drives simply refuse to believe anything is mounted in them.

Other problems:

Some installs have a problem with Eudora. Periodically, and always on closing, the software says it cannot write to file "<Insert an ANSI box symbol here and some random ASCII characters>"

Some installs refuse to read Manufacturer ID's off of discs in drives

Some installs have a damaged 16 bit Windows subsystem.

Some installs believe the system is returning higher voltage values than it really is.

So, the problem has been finding which one I can go back to that causes me the least amount of work to fix. Which requires a lot more time. :)

The 16 Bit subsystem is an easy fix, db (a corrupt registry file). I fixed mine with a quick patch here, but I realize that you are the adventurous type, so here is more info :D

No, it's not that. That's the MS-DOS 16 bit subsystem. My error is in the Windows one. The one Microsoft won't admit is there, but is. ;) My error has nothing to do with CONFIG.NT It appears to be related to the temporary directory that Windows wants to set (C:\WINDOWS\Temp that gets made regardless of what you actually set or tell Windows to use.) because when apps that make calls to it try to run, they say they cannot write to the temp area, which brings up the cause of the error from the Windows 16 bit subsystem. So, this error is partially related to the Eudora one, I think. That Eudora, too, can't write to the temporary folder, for whatever reason.

For those following my Environment variables saga in another post :lol: this was why I wanted an easy way to edit the variables. Because I needed a lot of testing to be done. Well, I KNEW I'd need a lot of testing, because, that's the Microsoft way. :rolleyes:

customized start menu(rightclicktaskbar)

ADVANCED

Oh, the Open sub-menus when I pause on them with my mouse? Is there any way to get this to apply to the actual Start menu itself? :D Meaning, it works okay for the first two layers, but, once you actually get into All Programs, they open automatically whenever the mouse goes over them.

Thanks, though! I was looking for that. :thumbup: Never thought it might be contained in a TASKBAR property... what a bunch of idiots!

And, no, calling them the "Taskbar AND START MENU Properties" is just an easy excuse for Microsoft to be lazy. :lol:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.