Need to create a bootable Windows Server 2003 x64 disk

ds01749

I downloaded from Microsft the software to install Windows Server 2003, 64-bit. It is an .exe file. I ran it, it unzipped to a directory structure. I didn't see any instructions on creating a bootable CD from the image that I saw, for 64-bit Windows Server. I tried the Vista/Windows 7 instructions and I tried the XP instrctions, both failed. It is looking for NTLDR on boot, and I don't see that file. I have been trying to search on various combinations of the words "make bootable windows server 2003 64-bit" in the search box and nothign relevant has been returned. I have really tried using the guides and other online help. If I am just missing somethgin, can you point me at it? Many thanks.

What was in the exe exactly?

Was the download a public file - perhaps a trial version of it?

As you say it's from MS, read the documentation for the download. They're not going to expect you to work it out on your own if it really is supposed to be made into a bootable disc.

What was in the exe exactly?

Was the download a public file - perhaps a trial version of it?

As you say it's from MS, read the documentation for the download. They're not going to expect you to work it out on your own if it really is supposed to be made into a bootable disc.

Definitely not a trial or anything. I buy software for the company under a volume licensing plan, and we have software that we have purchased available to us as a download. Usually the downloads are ISO images, and your software works great for them. This time the software in question was in an .exe file. All the Microsoft site says is to "create a bootable disc using whatever you normally use to create bootable discs". The usual level of help that I seem to get from Microsoft, unfortunately.

You need not spend any more time on it; I just shot you a quick question in case you had experience with this. Just FYI, no reply needed, I attached a screen shot that show the file and the contents of the file. I appreciate your time, and your great product!

Hi, I am sorry to bother you again, but a quick question. I now have the .iso image of Windows Server 2003 x64 that I need to create a bootable disk from. Which guide should I follow? The XP or the Windows 7 instructions? I would guess the Windows 7? Then under "Sectors to load", what value - 8?

Many thanks.

Ok, thank you. Where I am still I guess confused is about getting the boot image. In the example for creating a bootable XP disk, where it is slipstreaming, you need to use the original XP disk. In this case, I am not slipstreaming, but I also don't have a Windows Server 2003 32-bit installation disk to get a boot image from (if I did, I wouldn't need to be creating the bootable disk). The last time I tried to boot fomr a bootable disk that I created, it didn't work, as it was missing the file NTLOADER I think it was. I have the .iso mounted in a virtual DVD drive, but it is on a Windows XP computer. I don't have any 64-bit computers running.

When I look at the Advanced tab, there is the window "Extract Boot Image". Since I am trying to create a Windows Server 64-bit boot disk, using ImgBurn on a Windows XP computer, what entry to I make in this box?

If you want to see a directory of the disk that is mounted in the virtual DVD drive I can send it to you.

The iso that I have is one that I downloaded from our subscriber download area on the Microsoft volume licensing web site.

Are you saying that I can essentially create a bootable XP CD, but then all of the installation programs will be for Windows 64? I did try running Setup after Windows was loaded, a 32-bit server version, and it told me that it couldn't run that version of setup.

Again, I appreciate your input. I've been reading further, trying to get this going. I'll continue looking into it. Thanks again!

So you've gone from a SFX zip type file to a proper ISO... is the ISO not already bootable?! Surely the only time it wouldn't be bootable is if it's an 'update' version?

No, what I'm saying is that the boot sector is (or at least appears to be) the same for x86 and x64 versions of the disc.

All the other stuff on the disc would be different.

It's been a long day... of course you are correct. I will try that first. I don't have to set anything in the Advanced, Make Bootable area? That's really where I get confused - whether or not I need to set anything up there if burning from a Microsoft .iso file.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.