Can this be done?

blutach

I have a backup prog which I use weekly. The data backed up is about 5Gb.

Now, like all backup progs, the prog writes to 2 DVDRWs, stopping automatically when disk 1 is full and asking for disk 2 to be inserted.

What I'd like to do is use ImgBurn to burn an image of the backup data.

Can I do this automatically, or do I have to program 2 backup jobs, each less than 4.37Gb?

Regards

Edited by blutach

Blu! You?re overdue in Brissy for a beer. :beer:

I had a bit of think about this and came up with a somewhat inelegant solution which assumes a few things like not minding running a cron utility. So.......

Backup software automatically saves the ISO images somewhere. eg. C:\backups\

Your DVD burners are at E:\ and F:\

WinCron is at http://www.tomasello.com/software/wincron/

Now a batchfile for your cron.

ECHO OFF
?c:\program files\imgburn.exe /mode isowrite /src ?c:\backups\backup1.iso? /dest e: /verfiy yes
?c:\program files\imgburn.exe /mode isowrite /src ?c:\backups\backup2.iso? /dest f: /verfiy yes

Save it as backup.bat (for example) and copy it to your command path - like C:\

Next, a simple crontab for WinCron.

1 0 * * 0 c:\backup.bat

Save this as ?crontab? (no file extension) and copy it to your WinCron directory.

What all this crap does (when the cron is running) is execute c:\backup.bat at 12:01am every Sunday morning. The cron reads the batchfile which executes the instructions for ImgBurn. ImgBurn will load 2 copies of itself. One will grab backup1.iso and burn it to the E:\. The second copy with grab the other backup and burn it to your F:\ drive. It?ll work as long as you remember to turn off the ?exclusive access lock? within the ImgBurn settings.

I don?t know if this is what you were looking for but I?ve used crons for years. They?re reliable and easy to use once you get the hang of them.

Hope it helps.

Shamus.......

Hmm... in my haste I seem to have mis-read your post. You want a single image larger than 5gigs to be split then burnt automagically? Hmm... I fooked that one up huh? :lol:

EDIT: Can your backup software (you didn?t mention which one you use) set the maximum allowed output filesize?

I would guess it depends on what exactly you mean by 'backup prog' (i.e. are we talking Nero or Veritas BackupExec?!).

If it's the latter, I very much doubt it would be making a normal ISO image - in which case ImgBurn wouldn't burn it at all due to the lack of a recognised filesystem.

There is currently no method of burning unrocognised images, just by specifying sector size of the unknown image etc.

That is something I will no doubt sort out later on.

Thanks Shamus - we might get up there a little later on and hopefully we can throw a few more down mate.

@LUK! I have used Ner0 and it makes an NRG image, which of course is now associated with ImgBurn :)

Due to the fact that I added some files to my backup compilation, it has gone from about 4Gb to 5Gb.

What I have done in the meantime, is split off my ginormous Outlook Data file (800Mb) into its own compile.

But a split would be nice.

Regards

Thanks Shamus - we might get up there a little later on and hopefully we can throw a few more down mate.

Sounds like a top plan. I look forward to it. :)

@LUK! I have used Ner0 and it makes an NRG image, which of course is now associated with ImgBurn :)

Due to the fact that I added some files to my backup compilation, it has gone from about 4Gb to 5Gb.

What I have done in the meantime, is split off my ginormous Outlook Data file (800Mb) into its own compile.

But a split would be nice.

Regards

You've lost me. I thought you said you used a backup program? You compile the backups yourself by hand? A little help?

@Utter Bastard

If find Ner0BackitUp to be adequate in compling the backups. I just don't want Ner0 to burn the bugger - I value my data too much =))

So, what I have done now, is basically created 2 Ner0 project files - 1 just for my outlook data, the other for all the other folders I want backed up weekly. I output them to NRG - even Ner0 can't fuck up writing to a hard drive image I figure. :)

These then get burned by ImgBurn.

What I'd like is to be able to do this in one job with ImgBurn finding where to split it into 2 (or more, if necessary) DVDs.

Thanks for the help.

Regards

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.