Image File Location Setting Not Working

steppinwolf

Thanks for ImgBurn! One of the best freeware tools ever. Based on what I've seen so far, I plan to send a donation.

I've encountered a small issue that could be a bug caused by the modified documents path on my system. In ImgBurn Settings -> File Locations -> Image Files the value: "F:\Users\myUserName\Documents\" was placed there automatically during installation. However, this setting is ignored and image files are created in the F:\ root directory instead.

This might be because "F:\Users\myUserName\Documents\" is not a real path, but a library named "Documents" that contains the real path "F:\Users\myUserName\My Documents\" plus some other paths. However, if I "create an image file from file/folders", the correct path (...\My Documents\) is used. Maybe something is different in the logic that creates image files from disk?

Edited by steppinwolf

Look in the tab for Read in the Settings. It has it's own setting for destination of images.

I guess the setting you have there is 'Generated Automatically' for the option Default Destination.

With that setting enabled, it will pick the hard disk with the largest free size.

Thanks for such a quick response Cynthia! All my settings are still defaults, so the Read tab Destination is set to generate automatically as you guessed. That particular option is working fine (F: is indeed my largest volume). Nevertheless, the image file path under File Locations doesn't work when creating an image file from disk.

BTW, this is ImgBurn 2.5.0.0 running on Windows 7 Pro x64.

The path in the tab File Locations is only affecting the Build mode, not the Read mode as it has its own file location selection option.

In the Read mode (and also in the settings tab for file locations perhaps) it can end up in the My Documents folder if you have it set to Generate automatically if you don't have permission to save to the hard disk with largest free space.

When calculating the automatic destination path, ImgBurn checks that the user has permission to write to the folder. As it normally goes to the root folder of the drive, this fails under Windows Vista when running as a 'Normal' user. Now it will realise that and point to the 'My Documents' folder instead.

The path in the tab File Locations is only affecting the Build mode, not the Read mode as it has its own file location selection option.

Thanks for the info on Read Mode. Creating an image file would be Build Mode correct? Now that you have confirmed my suspicion that "Maybe something is different in the logic that creates image files from disk", we can focus on Build Mode.

When calculating the automatic destination path, ImgBurn checks that the user has permission to write to the folder. As it normally goes to the root folder of the drive, this fails under Windows Vista when running as a 'Normal' user. Now it will realize that and point to the 'My Documents' folder instead.
This would explain the behavior I'm seeing if I were running as normal or standard user. However, my account is running as administrator (not ideal security-wise, but that's a different topic). I have full permissions on the destination path.

Creating an image file would be Build Mode correct?

You can create an image file from Read mode when you read from a disc source. But I think you mean creating from files/folders on your hard disk, and then it's yes.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.