DVDA Format---Is This supported?

doccbst

Ive used Imageburn to to burn images (ISO 9660)of authored DVDA (conversions from stereo to mulichannel high resoluton audio 5.1 @ 24/48) and it appears to work very well-my question is that some commercial burning applications have a special setting for DVD-A--is this really needed? or is there really any difference in settings for DVD-A as opposed to DVD-if so could this feature be implemented or adjusted within settings for program-thanks-- and as I said -it appears to work fine as it is-doccbst

To the best of my knowledge there's no difference when burning DVD's whether audio or video. The only real difference between DVD-A and your common DVD was the encryption, and yours is home made so that's a non-issue. DVD-A's are basically cd's recorded at higher bitrates allowed by DVD's bigger capacity, some with 5.1 surround or other hi-fi soundtracks, some with some video,and encoded with a different encryption than DVD's to prevent copying. They're a good idea that didn't take off.

Flame on--neither response addresses ISO standard for DVD-A which is the highest resolution audio available today with frequency threshold up to 192,000 for stereo and 96,000 for true multichannel 5.1-and to my knowledge has absolutely nothing to do with karaoke--and although special equipment is required ,a DVD player capable of DVDA playback and 5.1 surround amplifier,as well as discreet 5.1 channel speakers-the cost is minimal and well worth the expense if you enjoy the highest resolution audio available as I do-as for the DVDA format-stll going strong but does enjoy some risk due to competing formats funded by the big name recording corporations-read up on blue ray-sacd and HD-DVD-the wars continue-by the way all disk burned with imgburn worked flawlessly on my home theatre DVD-A player--(Toshiba 4960 can be purchased for (+=) $100.00 US) so I guess IMGBURN is fully compatabile with DVDA- very nice easy to use program for my needs-thanks-doccbst

Flame on?

As you answered your own question on ISO(see below), what exactly are you wondering?

Ive used Imageburn to to burn images (ISO 9660)of authored DVDA (conversions from stereo to mulichannel high resoluton audio 5.1 @ 24/48) and it appears to work very well

To answer again the question below, as regular burned dvd's are capable of all sound formats you mentioned in your reply, be it 192 stereo, 24/96 stereo, 24/96 5.1 etc, you shouldn't have to change any settings or need any new options. The limiting factor will be whether your player or amp can decode these signals.

-my question is that some commercial burning applications have a special setting for DVD-A--is this really needed? or is there really any difference in settings for DVD-A as opposed to DVD-if so could this feature be implemented or adjusted within settings for program-thanks-- and as I said -it appears to work fine as it is-doccbst

As a owner of various SACD's and DVD-A's, I lament that it's going the way of Laserdiscs. That doesn't change the fact that there are few to no new releases on either format, and stores that once carried such products are not replacing their inventories. On another note, a $100 multi-format player will not give you the audio quality these formats deserve, as I'm sure you know original SACD's and DVD-A's require onboard decoding before hitting the receiver due to their different encryption. As said in my first post, once that encryption is gone your left with a regular DVD over a DVD-A, and SACD's can't be burned at all in that format to the best of my knowledge.

Grain-Thanks for your interest-Im sure there are better players than mine but I bought as entry level DVDA player (for $62 )Vanns-Montana-because I have enjoyed multichannel-surround 5.1 audio and Ac3-DTS require digital feed to amp-PLUS they are both lossy formats--My system is dedicated pure analog for personal preference(to run all my equipment)

DVDA is perfect for my needs and this player supports

DVD,DVDA,Dolby Digial 5.1,DTS,SACD,CD,WMA,MP3, & Jpeg picture slide show,I might have missed something but for 62$ not too shabby-and believe me -DVDA puts all the other formats to shame, even using DD PLII decoder-especially on a few of my authored disk at 5.1 24bit 96,000Hz LPCM--DVDA also is very much improved & different than DD on a DVD movie-even on my cheapo player-so back to my question -is there a difference in recording DVDA?-Ive read many post regarding superior Burns using Gear Master Pro Mastering for compiled DVDA disk--and this program has a special setting for DVDA--I dont know why? thats why I ask-Yes- ingburn worked great for me-but Im still learning and hoped a master like Lightening could assist in my quest for knowledge---- and perfection-thanks

Edited by doccbst

No problem doccbst, hi/fi & home theatre have been my hobby & money pit for a long time. Hopefully LUK will correct me if I'm wrong re. what I've said earlier and now, but IMO I.B. will burn any audio content correctly that you wish to put on a DVD disc, as long as it's authored correctly using whichever program you choose.

Ive read many post regarding superior Burns using Gear Master Pro Mastering for compiled DVDA disk--and this program has a special setting for DVDA--I dont know why?

As Grain indicates, Gear is probably using the DVDA setting for the authoring stage, not the actual burning stage. It may not technically even be necessary for the authoring stage (I don't know for sure). Gear may simply have it as a selectable setting so that following dialog boxes in the authoring process specifically reference DVDA or so that irrelevant options are not presented - thus minimising user confusion/possibility for error.

Thanks again for interest-Ive been independently testing a new DVDA authoring application and for testing, burning as 9660 ISO -mounting with Daemon tools-testing with Power DVD then burning image with imgburn for play on home theatre-so far flawless performance of all disk-I am hoping this $35.00 DVDA authoring system will renew interest in dvda for a few audiophiles(like a few million) and keep dvda alive-heres link to program-even a free trial--also link to a short review i posted(registration required but free and great surround site) thanks

http://www.cirlinca.com/

http://www.dtsac3.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl...;num=1129067788

Edited by doccbst

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.