Smileys

Pain_Man

Thanks Jill - yours was a much more diplomatic response, I like our American cousins in the forum but they sure are dumb getting football confused all the time. :)

One little joke sparks like two dozens posts. What is it about this soccer/football thing?

:huh:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Football - it's not a matter of life and death, it's more important than that !

It's the FA Cup Final today, Liverpool v West Ham so won't be around for a couple of hours and if the unthinkable happens and we lose I will be consoling myself with episodes of Lost....

I am an Anglophile. Surrounding by English authors, English music, English movies. But sometimes I have no idea what they hell Brits are saying. Especially the dialects outside of London. The English spoken in Ulster doesn't even sound like English. I don't listen to everyword, if my mind wanders a bit, it becomes gibberish to mein ears.

=)) this sooooo applies to my girlfreind, and she'll hate me for saying it. Although she is used to my accent I more often than not have to translate what my family/mates have said.

@ lfurule, my first ever football match was Liverpool /Westham back in '77 and we beat the hammers 3-1....so he's hoping today will be no different.

Second rate ??? Cheeky bastard, we just decided to give West Ham a head start with an own goal and to make even more of a game of it our solid defence had the afternoon off and we asked the referee to disallow a perfectly good goal (Sky Tv comment not just mine) :)

Still it made for a very exciting final with Liverpool not equalising until the dying moments. When it was heading for penalties I knew we would be ok, better players and a much better keeper when it comes to saving them ! Wouldn't want that kind of excitement every game tho ! Made up in a small way for the dire Man Utd v Arsenal FA Cup Final of last year that was well boring !

you probably wont hear from lfc tonight , his 2nd rate "team" came back from 2-0 down to win the cup final !!!

UK definition of Football = a game with a stadium , 22 players , 1 ball, and 50,000 referees

Your last sentence can apply equally to any college football game in the US, except for the big teams, bump the # up to 100,000+ referees.

Interestingly, one of the partners in the company my wife works for refs NCAA football games.

If you don't know, NCAA stands for National Communist Asshole Association. Er, sorry. National College Athletic Association. It's the governing body for the majority of college sports of every description.

=)) this sooooo applies to my girlfreind, and she'll hate me for saying it. Although she is used to my accent I more often than not have to translate what my family/mates have said.

It's the slang. Like that Jerry Seinfeld Amex commercial where he goes into a restaurant and orders "bangers and mash." Now mash is potatoes, that's easy enough. But what the hell is/are bangers???

I'm a big Python fan but I realize that sometimes the jokes go right past me.

Example: In Life of Brian the People's Front of Judea, Judean People's Front, et al. I thought they were satirizing the Palestintian terror groups. Instead, according to the commentary tracks on the DVD, they were actually satirizing the innumerable, tiny Leftist groups in England in the 70s. Sitting around doing nothing but circle jerking, arguing abstruse points only tangenitally connected with reality and talking shit about the other groups. The context went by me and, I'm sure, most other American fans who didn't live in Britain in the 70s.

I don't know if Brits have the same issues with American slang, I don't really think so. Our movies and music are so widespread--whatever one's opinion of this--that the English-speaking countries have a window into our culture that we usually don't have into theirs. And, sad to say, a lot of that has to do with the fact that the majority of Americans really don't care about what happens on either side of our two oceans. I remember my mother saying one time, "Why doesn't everyone just learn English? Make things a lot easier."

Edited by Pain_Man

Second rate ??? Cheeky bastard, we just decided to give West Ham a head start with an own goal and to make even more of a game of it our solid defence had the afternoon off and we asked the referee to disallow a perfectly good goal (Sky Tv comment not just mine) :)

Still it made for a very exciting final with Liverpool not equalising until the dying moments. When it was heading for penalties I knew we would be ok, better players and a much better keeper when it comes to saving them ! Wouldn't want that kind of excitement every game tho ! Made up in a small way for the dire Man Utd v Arsenal FA Cup Final of last year that was well boring !

To save having to type IMHO a dozen times, assume everything is IMHO... ;)

crule, congrats on your team's victory...(I remember both times when the Padres won the NLCS and the Chargers won the AFC Championship, feels great)...with all due respect, how can you call exciting three hours with a 2-0 score? I would have been snoring before the first period way half way through.

I'm not being cheeky, I really don't understand the fascination of it. Now baseball, the interest there is easy to understand. It combines not only a team sport, but a mano a mano battle between pitcher and catcher. To watch a great pitcher and great hitter duel it out--well there's nothing in sports like it.

Or even a pitching duel with a low score or a no-hitter. The attraction there is obvious. One man holds off the entire other team from scoring, or, in rare cases, from even getting a man on base (i.e. preventing them from even having a chance to score). To keep that up for 8.5 innings is a mental and physical feat that, again, has no parallel or equal in sports.

But to watch two groups of men chase each other around for hours where a score of 2-1 is considered exciting. I just don't get it. The only Euro soccer match I saw was so bloody dull that the only thing that kept me awake was a cool Brit businessman (an IBM salesman oddly enough living in France) that talked to me during the match. Otherwise...julli-angel4.gif

Edited by Pain_Man

[

It's the slang. Like that Jerry Seinfeld Amex commercial where he goes into a restaurant and orders "bangers and mash." Now mash is potatoes, that's easy enough. But what the hell is/are bangers???

=))I think you call them "links" but to us they are sausages. The only other difference that has really stuck is when i mention "biscuits", as well call them, you call them "cookies" ;)

courteous of RecipeTips.com.....

A British term for the English sausage that became popular during World War II during a time when it was made with pork meat. The typical Banger made today may contain a mixture of beef or pork meat with cereal or rusk added as a filler. The term "Banger" arose during the war era as the sausages were roasted and exploded due to the excess water contained in the sausages. Since the Banger is a mildly seasoned sausage, various counties in the country add their own seasonings such as fresh sage, pimento, and thyme to name a few, to enhance the flavor of their sausages.

Hey Pain_Man hope your well :)

The score at the end of the 90 mins in the final was 3-3, including an own goal and one for Liverpool that was disallowed, I don't expect you to understand but it was exciting mate ! :P

It then went to a penalty shoot out (Best of 5 or sudden death if tied after 5 shots each) - Liverpool scored their first (1-0), West Ham missed (1-0), Liverpool missed their next one (1-0) and West Ham scored to make it 1-1. Liverpool scored their next two and thanks to some great saves from the Liverpool Goalkeeper West Ham missed their next two so it ended 3-1 on Penalties.

_41405441_gerrardcup_afp270.jpg

Seriously I'm not trying to bust your balls. I know Americans & our British cousins love to needle each other about football.

I'm just trying to understand the attraction of soccer or British football. If I were the only American that didn't get it, it would obviously be an idiosyncrasy of mine.

But I'm in the huge majority of Americans who don't get it. I have no idea if we have a team in the World Cup; or if we've had one in the last few years. And most Americans don't.

There have been several attempts to start an American pro soccer league and they've all failed quickly and disastrously.

On the other hand, American sports (football, baseball and especially basketball) become more and more popular, around the world, every year. Someday, in the not so distant future, the Woild Serious may actually be a world event.

But a viable US soccer league? More likley to be bacon in the trees when I open the door in the morning.

Hey Pain_Man hope your well :)

The score at the end of the 90 mins in the final was 3-3, including an own goal and one for Liverpool that was disallowed, I don't expect you to understand but it was exciting mate ! :P

It then went to a penalty shoot out (Best of 5 or sudden death if tied after 5 shots each) - Liverpool scored their first (1-0), West Ham missed (1-0), Liverpool missed their next one (1-0) and West Ham scored to make it 1-1. Liverpool scored their next two and thanks to some great saves from the Liverpool Goalkeeper West Ham missed their next two so it ended 3-1 on Penalties.

Edited by Pain_Man

Thanks for explanation.

Generally we reserve biscuit for something sweet. Cracker for something, uh, not sweet.

The one exception is Animal Crackers which are really biscuits.

[

=))I think you call them "links" but to us they are sausages. The only other difference that has really stuck is when i mention "biscuits", as well call them, you call them "cookies" ;)

courteous of RecipeTips.com.....

A British term for the English sausage that became popular during World War II during a time when it was made with pork meat. The typical Banger made today may contain a mixture of beef or pork meat with cereal or rusk added as a filler. The term "Banger" arose during the war era as the sausages were roasted and exploded due to the excess water contained in the sausages. Since the Banger is a mildly seasoned sausage, various counties in the country add their own seasonings such as fresh sage, pimento, and thyme to name a few, to enhance the flavor of their sausages.

Thanks for explanation.

Generally we reserve biscuit for something sweet. Cracker for something, uh, not sweet.

:wacko: now i'm really confused..........=))

Thanks for explanation.

:wacko: now i'm really confused..........=))

Try being four or five and attempting to understand the difference. :huh:

Gentlemen, gentlemen! Whether you call it one name or another, even regardless of the sport, I think there is one thing universal here: regardless of who wins or who loses, regardless of the sport, regardless of the name used... people will riot over the most idiotic things! :w00t:

Well, I certainly hope she's better looking than I am julli-chicken.gif.

Gentlemen, gentlemen! Whether you call it one name or another, even regardless of the sport, I think there is one thing universal here: regardless of who wins or who loses, regardless of the sport, regardless of the name used... people will riot over the most idiotic things! :w00t:

the odd thing is: Brit "hooligans" (we just call 'em assholes in the US) riot during matches/games.

American fans riot after the games and usually after their team has won. (!)

My aunt and grandfather went to Chicago for the NLCS and Detroit for the World Series when the Padres made their first trip to post-season play in '84. Both times they were heckled to the point of assault.

In Detroit, after the Padres lost the WS, the Tigers' fans were so out of control, they tried to overturn the bus my aunt and grandfather were on. It took cops in riot gear to fight them off and get the San Diego fans safely back to their hotels.

Unfortunately, it's only gotten worse. In college sports, and at some of the most prestigious universities in the country, post-game riots are becoming increasingly common. So some of these spoiled, rich little bastards are finding themselves being traded for cigarettes instead of heading to grad school.

I still remember how Simon Furman slipped in a reference into Transformers about a warrior named Hooligan from the planet Millwall. :lol:

I knew it was all but over for Western civilization when Michael Jordan had to make commercials on TV begging idiots, both whose favored team won OR lost, to please don't do bad things such as riot in the streets post "da game." You know it's all over when you have to have such a mental giant cajoling the populace not to engage in their baser instinct. :rolleyes:

Well, I certainly hope she's better looking than I am julli-chicken.gif.

She's just a plain good looking country gal who can out cuss, out chew, out shoot, out drink and out ride me, in fact you'd probably call here a redneck seeing as you are a confirmed West coaster...... =))

Edited by Groundrush

She's just a plain good looking country gal who can out cuss, out chew, out shoot, out drink and out ride me, in fact you'd probably call here a redneck seeing as you are a confirmed West coaster...... =))

in the American sense or the Brit Lager lout sense :lol:

DUDE!

What's up with the animus toward MJ?

Despite a gambling addiction, the man's managed to hang on to his vast fortune and his marriage.

He also runs his own division at Nike.

The Ball Park endoresement was going a little far, but he's lowered his profile significantly the last few years.

By all accounts he's a genuinely nice guy. At one place my first wife worked, she talked to him several times. He was very polite and courteous everytime.

I still remember how Simon Furman slipped in a reference into Transformers about a warrior named Hooligan from the planet Millwall. :lol:

I knew it was all but over for Western civilization when Michael Jordan had to make commercials on TV begging idiots, both whose favored team won OR lost, to please don't do bad things such as riot in the streets post "da game." You know it's all over when you have to have such a mental giant cajoling the populace not to engage in their baser instinct. :rolleyes:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.