ImgBurn 2.5.1.0 Adware

paraver

I use ImgBurn for a long time, and I was not waiting for such behaviour.

When installing the newest version, 2.5.1.0, I was prompted to choose if I wanted to install Asktoolbar. Suddenly, the installation process was "frozen". Without any action, Ask Toolbar WAS installed! This is neither fair nor honest.

To unistall it, use Revo Unistaller and Ccleaner.

:wacko::( :( :( :( :& :bye2::thumbdown: :thumbdown: :swear:

Sorry but that is not that case, plain and simple.

You got click happy and progressed to the next page without first opting out.

It has its own uninstaller in 'Control Panel' -> 'Add/Remove Programs' (Windows XP) or 'Programs and Features' (Windows Vista / Windows 7)

Offering users the toolbar during installation doesn't stop the program being free, clearly it still is.

Thank you for your reply.

As far as I can read here, more people experienced the same problem: the installation screen frozen, and the process went on installing the Ask Toolbar without the consent of the user.

Can you label this program as free, when it has attached ad-ware? Truly?

Thank you,

Sorry but that is not that case, plain and simple.

You got click happy and progressed to the next page without first opting out.

It has its own uninstaller in 'Control Panel' -> 'Add/Remove Programs' (Windows XP) or 'Programs and Features' (Windows Vista / Windows 7)

Offering users the toolbar during installation doesn't stop the program being free, clearly it still is.

As far as I can read here, more people experienced the same problem: the installation screen frozen, and the process went on installing the Ask Toolbar without the consent of the user.

Like I said, that only happens AFTER you've hit the 'Install' button and basically accepted to install the taskbar because you haven't told it otherwise. I'm sorry but that's your own fault and nothing to do with me.

Try it in a sandbox or virtual machine and you'll see that what I'm saying is 110% correct. I have no reason to lie to you.

Can you label this program as free, when it has attached ad-ware? Truly?

Having an optional toolbar in the installer doesn't change the fact that I don't make you pay me for using it.

So yeah, I can still say it's free.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say that toolbars/virus scanners are bundled with most free programs these days. I think the last Java update came bundled with the ask toolbar. As long as they are optional then personally I've no problem with them.

Given the time taken developing ImgBurn, the free technical support, the cost of hosting, then why shouldn't Lightning UK! recoup some costs?

[steps down from soapbox]

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.