Settings for Creating ISO files

Haggis Cat

The default setting for this is MAX-8x. I found that this causes some minor glitches when using using Virtual Clone Drive. It seems to work fine at 1x-1x, it takes a while to create the files, but it works. I played around with these settings using different speeds and really couldn't see any differences. This took a number of days to do this.

Restoring default function does not work to set it back to MAX-8x.(Don't know what's going on there) What is the best setting here to create ISO files from a Blu-ray disc ? I found one thread where this has been asked and there was a useless answer. "If you don't understand the setting then leave it alone" That is not an answer.

I would like to understand this setting. I have been here for about 2 hours searching this forum and Google and there is nothing. All I can find are topics on burning a disc.

I even went to a couple of computer repair stores and they could not give me a definite answer. I know the stores well and if they could they would have answered me.

Edited by Haggis Cat

3.2.1.4 Settings

The left 'Read Speed' box sets the desired reading speed for a 'Data' source and the right 'Read Speed' box sets the desired reading speed for an 'Audio' source.

The reason for the default '8x' for 'Audio' as source, is that there's no error correction on Audio tracks, so the slower the better really.

Soi it's only the left setting that is of interest for you with the task your are doing.

Can I guess that the iso you have mounted with VCD is located on the same hard disk as you are reading to?

Not sure what you mean with "minor glitches". Is that slow writing speeds to the hard disk?

3.2.1.4 Settings

The left 'Read Speed' box sets the desired reading speed for a 'Data' source and the right 'Read Speed' box sets the desired reading speed for an 'Audio' source.

The reason for the default '8x' for 'Audio' as source, is that there's no error correction on Audio tracks, so the slower the better really.

Soi it's only the left setting that is of interest for you with the task your are doing.

Can I guess that the iso you have mounted with VCD is located on the same hard disk as you are reading to?

Not sure what you mean with "minor glitches". Is that slow writing speeds to the hard disk?

Minor Glitches- When I am actually watching the movie with VCD the video freezes while the audio track keeps running and some times the audio stops as well, along with the video. It's the same as if the pause button was pressed.

The movie "Legion" was very bad as the minor glitches lasted for 20 seconds at times. "Doctor Panassus" was no where near as bad. It did this just occasionally and it only lasted a split second and was more of an annoyance.

In both cases it was random, which means it would never do it in the same scene. If you were to stop any of the movies and start again it would still do it, but in different scenes.

Yes, the VCD is on the same hard disc as the ISO files that I am reading. There is another hard drive. I am guessing that if the ISO files are mounted on one drive and the VCD is on another, that is not good and you are thinking that this may cause problems.

The hard drive is a new Solid State drive from Samsung, but that shouldn't make any difference. When I created ISO files for "Legion" I also did 1x-1x and that worked fine. I am guessing that the video and audio work better if the read speeds are the same ???

You will have to forgive me as I am new at this, so what I may be writing may not make any sense.

Thanks for getting back to me !! I didn't expect to get an answer.

I didn't expect to get an answer.

Now that's funny. :rolleyes: Why did you start the thread if you not expecting answer? :whistling:

Anyway, your glitches may come from your player, that may use some combination of filters that not work flowless as you say it is in random places and not always there when you play it again. Or backround proceses like virus scanning, or maybe you're torrenting... The player should play it from anywhere even from network if it is fast enough.

Edited by ianymaty

I didn't expect to get an answer.

Now that's funny. :rolleyes: Why did you start the thread if you not expecting answer? :whistling:

Anyway, your glitches may come from your player, that may use some combination of filters that not work flowless as you say it is in random places and not always there when you play it again. Or backround proceses like virus scanning, or maybe you're torrenting... The player should play it from anywhere even from network if it is fast enough.

Some other forums that I belong to, I never get an answer from. Mazda World.org. or else months go buy and by the time any thing comes it's out of date.

I will try another player to see what happens. The one I am using now is from Cyberlink DVD8. The other one I have is the HP Media Smart one. I would have thought that one would have given the most problems. HP makes lousy software. Although Cyberlink makes a lot of the stuff for HP.

The movies are not torrent's. They are rented movies that are first scanned with Sly Soft's Any DVD. I will try disabling my ESET, but I don't think that's the cause. If I was running Norton, then yes, there may be a problem there.

Thanks for the answer. :thumbup:

I tried disabling ESET and a different player. It appeared that it made a difference, but the freezing problem surfaced again, which draws me to the conclusion that I should be creating the ISO files 1X-1X.

I guess there is no simple and quick answer to this.

Edited by Haggis Cat

So basicaly it's not a problem related to ImgBurn. It's your problem how you get your source files.

Since there are rented movies they most probably have some copy protection form. Maybe you'll find more answers on SlySoft's forum rather than here.

You can not use ImgBurn to make a working copy of that disc. It will not help you to get rid of the copy protection.

Once you sorted out with the source files and they play fine fron HDD with a software player and have problem to put them on disc, comeback with a log and we try to help.

So basicaly it's not a problem related to ImgBurn. It's your problem how you get your source files.

Since there are rented movies they most probably have some copy protection form. Maybe you'll find more answers on SlySoft's forum rather than here.

You can not use ImgBurn to make a working copy of that disc. It will not help you to get rid of the copy protection.

Once you sorted out with the source files and they play fine fron HDD with a software player and have problem to put them on disc, comeback with a log and we try to help.

I realize image burn won't help me get a working copy of a Blu-ray, or any other DVD or CD for that matter. It does nor matter whether the Blu-ray's are rented or not. I have tried creating ISO files from my own personal collection and there is no difference. Besides, the video store gets them from Wal-Mart, the same place that I do.

If you were to use Image Burn to directly to copy a movie, it will simply tell you that it is a copy protected disc and it won't go any further then that. Ounce Slysoft removes the copy protection IB creates the ISO files with out any errors, no matter what I set the Data Transfer rate at, or the one for the Audio.

This is great that I have been having some answer's here because it starts me thinking in other directions to find my own answer's

It's not the fault of Image Burn, I think it's the speed in which the ISO files are created and the relationship between the Data and Audio stream that Clone DVD and or the computers Blu-ray player is having diffuculty with. If you were to set the Data at 2X and the Audio at 56X, that probably would be disaster. I will do that after I am done here and let the forum know what happened.

Which brings me back to my original question. What is the best speed to create ISO files for the Data and the Audio ? The default (Max-8X) gives problems as I mentioned earlier in the thread. I am having good results using 1X-1X, both for Data and Audio, and that's great, I would just like to know why.

Read a disc at MAX and read it again at 1x... I guarantee the resulting ISO's will be identical. Just MD5 them and see for yourself.

By selecting 1x, you're just wasting your own time.

Thanks I will take your word for it. I just touched what MD5 is and when I have some time I will delve into that to satisfy my curiosity.

Here's a question. If it doesn't matter what speed the ISO files are created, then why have a choice ? Is it just the way the software is laid out. A sort of default window for everything, if you will ?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.