Star Wars Original Versions

Pain_Man

Minter just told me that the original Star Wars triology, set to be released in the US late this year, will be the Laserdisc versions released more than 20 years ago.

I found the following letter dated, I'm guessing, today or very recently:

http://www.originaltrilogy.com/Lucasfilm_PR_response.cfm

I wanted you to know how much we appreciate the passion and enthusiasm you have for Star Wars, and thank you for sharing your concerns about our upcoming DVD release.

The DVDs being released in September will contain two versions of Star Wars: Episodes IV, V and VI ? the Special Editions (which represent George?s vision of the movies) and the first versions, which will be included as bonus material. We hoped that releasing those ?original? movies on a bonus disc would be a way to have some additional fun with the debut of the movies as individual DVDs. We certainly did not want it to become a source of concern or frustration for any of our fans.

As you may know, an enormous amount of effort was put into digitally restoring the negatives for the Special Editions. In one scene alone, nearly 1 million pieces of dirt had to be removed, and the Special Editions were created through a frame-by-frame digital restoration. The negatives of the movies were permanently altered for the creation of the Special Editions, and existing prints of the first versions are in poor condition.

So many fans have requested the original movies, we wanted to find a way to bring them to you. But since these movies do not represent George's artistic vision, we could not put the extraordinary time and resources into this project as we did with the Special Editions. The 1993 Laserdisc masters represented the best source for providing the original versions as DVD bonus material. Although these are non-anamorphic versions, they do preserve the original widescreen composition of the movies.

We want you to be aware that we have no plans ? now or in the future ? to restore the earlier versions.

We hope you will understand our decision and, again, want to let you know how much we appreciate your interest and enthusiasm.

Sincerely,

Lynne Hale

publicity@lucasfilm.com

Y'all know me, so I have to comment.

I think this is bullshit. I think this is Lucas's way of saying "Fuck you" to we fans who want the original versions as well as his "final" versions.

I don't believe for a second they had to "remove 1 million pieces of dirt" from the entire triology, let alone one small part.

Like The Beatles master tapes, the Star Wars masters were undoubtedly treated like the fucking Mona Lisa and kept in a climate controlled vault. Why hell wouldn't they be? They are the MOST VALUABLE FILMS EVER MADE! Anyone REALLY believe that they'd just be thrown into a box in the back of George's closet with his old bong from college?

For a long time I've detected, beneath Lucas' placid facade, a gigantic ego (not that I have anything against giant egos per se, having one myself). An ego that doesn't like to be crossed. An ego that's become vastl y over inflated. Got two words for ya Georgie: The Hindenburg!

But Lucas is pissed that people actually want to see the movie's that made him a billionaire. HOW DARE US!

So this is his way of saying: "Kiss my ass. You can the originals, but I'm going to piss in the punch bowl first."

Not anamorphic isn't the point. Not every dvd uses anamorphic ratios.

It's that the Laserdics HAD to be formatted for SD, 4:3 TVs--the only kind that existed when the laserdiscs were created!

How much crap does George think we're going to swallow?

In high school we jokingly referred to him as "God." He's turning out more like a cranky Leprechaun. It's his goddamn pot of gold and everyone: hands off!

Edited by Pain_Man

Bastard. Think I'll just buy them on used laser discs from ebay instead, I'm sure the old Pioneer player is up to it.

I was sure I was going to buy them before I read this.

Now? I'm probably not going to. I just can't believe anything in this letter. It's simply bullshit.

The masters weren't kept in pristine condition? They "permanently altered" them? Bulshit. Bullshit. BULLSHIT! :whatever:

And insulting. My parents bought me every action figure, I had the X-Wing and Tie Fighter (the big ones) and the Death Star (the original ones). I've bought all the movies.

And this is what we fans get? Christ, George.

At first I was sure this was simply a money grab.

Instead he's flipping us the bird.

Well, Georgie-Porgie, we don't need to give you money.

Edited by Pain_Man

I still have the original versions on pristine VHS Cassette !! :lol: I actually prefer the "re-touched" versions anyway..... Guess that's just me eh ?

=)) You two remind me of that episode of The Simpsons where Bart and Lisa tell George how crap his films are becoming :P

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, and how George was drawn as just barely taller than Bart and Lisa! =)) And how he was writing long, drawn out speeches about tabling motions to committees. That part where the AT-AT burst in, then sat down and read a newspaper, waiting for its turn in committee.

South Park did a great episode also where the boys try to stop Lucas & Spielburg from changing their films for the umpteenth time, where Ewoks are starting to appear in Indiana Jones films =))

I was just about to bring this up when Grain beat me to it. It on the Season 6 set.

At first I thought they were being a little too hard Lucas. Not on Spielberg though. Replacing guns with walkie-talkies was just gay (and I don't mean anything homophobic by that).

And, actually, I'm with crule in that I too prefer the "final" versions. I really like the way Lucas replaced the original actor with Hayden Christiansen at the end of Jedi.

The six movies are really the story of Anakin, not Luke, not Leia, not Han, not the Republic, the Emperor. But Anakin.

So, once he redeems himself by fulfilling the prophecy that Yoda makes to the Emperor in their smackdown at the end of Sith, "Too much trust in your apprentice you have placed you may find" or some variation on Yoda-syntax.

It was thus only fitting that Anakin should be restored to what he was before he became Darth Vader.

And seriously, does ANYONE miss the fucking Ewoks' song????

South Park did a great episode also where the boys try to stop Lucas & Spielburg from changing their films for the umpteenth time, where Ewoks are starting to appear in Indiana Jones films =))

I was just about to bring this up when Grain beat me to it. It on the Season 6 set.

At first I thought they were being a little too hard Lucas. Not on Spielberg though. Replacing guns with walkie-talkies was just gay (and I don't mean anything homophobic by that).

And, actually, I'm with crule in that I too prefer the "final" versions. I really like the way Lucas replaced the original actor with Hayden Christiansen at the end of Jedi.

The six movies are really the story of Anakin, not Luke, not Leia, not Han, not the Republic, the Emperor. But Anakin.

So, once he redeems himself by fulfilling the prophecy that Yoda makes to the Emperor in their smackdown at the end of Sith, "Too much trust in your apprentice you have placed you may find" or some variation on Yoda-syntax.

It was thus only fitting that Anakin should be restored to what he was before he became Darth Vader.

And seriously, does ANYONE miss the fucking Ewoks' song????

The crowd pulling down Palpatine's statue on Coruscant was a nice touch. As well as the fireworks.

On the commentary track (for Jedi) Ben Burtt (editor and sound man) talks about how they hired a fireworks company to create the fireworks for the "special edition". Said it was a blast. They asked the fireworks guys to do whatever they wanted see and, presto, it was done. Tres cool.

That was a master touch replacing the original actor at the end of Jedi :thumbup: There were some other nice bits as well that just seemed to make the films more logical.....

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.