Ask Toolbar

whooaahh

I don't want to hear your crap, I don't care about your theories or opinions.

On my laptop running 7 Ultimate x64, I have UAC disabled. When I went to install the latest version, the installer skipped the screen to uncheck the crap about the Ask crapbar, I mean Ask Toolbar. The screen flashes for about a second and auto-continues, giving you no time to uncheck the boxes.

I verified this in 3 VMs using VMWare.

So as the previous post states, this is a bug, and should be addressed.

I feel your pain. And... thanks, for breaking the silence...! You're not alone here! You've got friends! We're all with you... we've been violated by the Ask malware too! It's OK. We have each other... :console: We can get through this!

I've covered this many times before... the installer won't install the toolbar until you've clicked the 'Install' button and the checkbox is ticked (which it is by default). There is no room for discussion on that.

I've already said that there can be a pause (of varying length so it seems) whilst the 'checker' thing does whatever it does and the offer screen gets displayed.

During that time, you may or may not end up with a seemingly blank page that has the 'Install' button on it. I don't know why it shows up sometimes, it shouldn't do - that's down to NSIS. To be honest, I've never noticed before my own attempt with Win 7 x64 in VMware just now.

I quite understand that a blank page looks innocent and therefore something you'd happily click the 'Install' button on... but NSIS populates that page with the Ask related controls (or aborts the page) based on the result of the checker program. So if you click 'Install' whilst the checker is doing its thing and before the page is populated properly, it's already recorded your click on the 'Install' button, the windows messages get processed and the click happens - thus you end up installing the toolbar.

If you leave it long enough - as I just did, everything appears exactly as it should do and you're given all the time in the world to check and uncheck boxes until your heart's content.

As I've also said before, the installer has been rewritten to get rid of the pause before the offer screen comes up so hopefully you (as an obviously awesome 'IT Admin') will be able to cope with that one.

Now I've explained exactly what happens and what you should see, you should be able to reproduce it in your own 3 VM's and see that I'm not talking crap at all. I have no reason to lie to you about it!

Windows buffers clicks. So during that delay, if the user clicks the "Next" button twice during that delay (edit: while it indicates "Next" but isn't responding to a click), the installer catches one buffered click, then catches the second buffered click to the "Install" button when it finally appears. (edit: ... and, in the process, accepting the default "checked" value for the toolbar. Hence, installing unintentionally and without warning.)

Seriously, you haven't realized this? :blink:

Edited by Falcon

confirmed by IT admin...

I verified this in 3 VMs using VMWare.

Seriously, I guess you're just trolling. Otherwise, you're doing it wrong.

Seriously, you haven't realized this? :blink:

If you get trigger happy with your mouse clicks, then the ImgBurn installer is not the only one you have to worry about. Same goes to whooaahh.

As LUK! said, having a bit of patience won't hurt.

Agreed - great freeware! :thumbup: Look at what itunes wants for some of its apps - even crap Firefox add ons are asking $2/3.

Pesonally I like toolbars :wub: and was gonna ask for Ask in suggestions. Any chance of any more? :santa: I've got so many they fill the whole screen on F/F - no room to search - so I'm googling with chrome, but they look so pretty. :w00t:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.