Is it true? No rabbits in Portland, Dorset?

dbminter

Came across this incredibly bizarre article:

http://www.zap2it.com/movies/news/story/0,...--26960,00.html

"The Curse of the Word 'Rabbit'

Fri, Oct 07, 2005, 10:10 AM PT

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com)

In deference to local superstition, the folks behind "Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit" have struck the word "rabbit" from posters for the film on the isle of Portland in Dorset, reports the BBC News.

The isle -- which is actually attached to the southern portion of the British mainland by a strip of land -- is known for its quarries, where the hairy critters once created dangerous landslips.

"If the word 'rabbit' is used in company in Portland there is generally a bit of a hush," says mayor Les Ames. "In the olden days when quarrying was done by hand, if one of these animals was seen in the area, the quarryman would pack up and go home for the day -- until the safety of the area had been reconnoitered.

"It is an unwritten rule in Portland that you do not use the word rabbit."

Locals instead have gotten creative, calling the animals "underground mutton" or "furry things."

Aardman Animations decided to respect local folklore and printed up posters that simply say: "Something bunny is going on."

"Wallace & Gromit" is currently in theaters stateside and will open in the UK on Friday, Oct. 14. "

God in a bottle, is this blatherscythe true? :D I thought it was stupid enough here in the US where some buildings refuse to number a 13th floor, put a button numbered 13 in the elevators, etc. So, what, in Portland was it called "Who Framed Roger Underground Mutton?" =))

All I have to say, if this is true, is this simple question in retort: Eh, what's up with that, Doc?! :wink:

Came across this incredibly bizarre article:

Locals instead have gotten creative, calling the animals "underground mutton" or "furry things."

Cant say ive heard that one before about not mentioning rabbits. maybe Lfc can help , as he's down that way .

certainly a good one if theyve gone to the trouble of changing the posters just for 1 small area though .

as for " "underground mutton" or "furry things." . the first sounds like a refferal to illegal sex and the 2nd , well, if a rabbit comes out of "THAT" burrow, i dont want to go there :w00t:

I can understand the sheep gettin outa new zealand - the bloody kiwis keep on fucking them. But rabbits in Dorset? I guess Doreseters have real small dicks. =))

Regards

Sadly - its true - I live about a 90mins drive from there and I have heard this before..... If you check on google you can find loads of stories on it too !!

Btw Just taken the kids to see it - very funny film, full of plenty of jokes for adults.... 9/10 !!!

Never heard the phrase"Fucks like a rabbit!"?

You do need a role of tape though...............

Btw Just taken the kids to see it - very funny film, full of plenty of jokes for adults.... 9/10 !!!

Thanks for sharing that - I had to sit through Shark Boy & Lava Girl (in f***ing amazing 3D) instead last school holidays. - 0.5/10

Yeah - I can beat that zacoz - Pokemon (x2) a few years back, Spongebob Squarepants (this year) and Spy Kids 3D Game Over (last year).

Combined, they don't get to 0.5/10 =))

Regards

Edited by blutach

Feh! I am one who has actually seen Howard The Duck in theaters! :D Even the amazingly obscure Metalstorm: The Destruction Of Jared Syn... IN 3-D! B)

at least in Howard the Duck you get to fiend on Lea Thompson a little

All this talk of crap movies has awoken the memory of a movie I'd thankfully forgotten about. When I saw it for the first time 25 years or more ago, it was a masterpiece. Brilliant acting, great music and a well written, solid storyline. The entire 90 minutes of the film was absolutely awe-inspiring. I'd never seen or heard anything like it before. The best movie ever made. I had the (mis)fortune to find it on VHS a few years ago and snapped it up for the princely sum of $10 thinking it a bargain. It's funny how your memory of some things differ dramatically from reality. Perhaps it was just the thought of being part of something bigger. To be in the company of heroes. To see gods come alive and "in the flesh" for the masses (myself included), to worship. The movie in question (and possibly the worst movie of all time) : KISS Meets the Phantom of the Park.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.